Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Haiti endorses vigilates

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by clearconscience, Jan 18, 2010.

1. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice place. The people who suffered through Katrina shouldn't feel so left out now. I would never send money to help Haiti, I would love to help those who suffer, but Haiti is severely corrupt and most of the money will probably end up in someone's bank acct and not helping their people.

PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti – "If you don't kill the criminals, they will all come back," a Haitian police officer shouts over a loudspeaker in the country's most notorious slum, imploring citizens to take justice into their own hands.

The call for vigilantes comes as influential gang leaders who escaped from a heavily damaged prison during the country's killer earthquake are taking advantage of a void left by police and peacekeepers focused on disaster relief.

In the sprawling Cite Soleil slum, gangsters are settling into the haunts they dominated before being locked up and resuming struggles for control that never really ended once they were inside the walls of the city's notorious main penitentiary.

"The trouble is starting," said Jean-Semaine Delice, a 51-year-old father from Cite Soleil. "People are starting to leave their homes to go to others."

As police urged residents to fight criminals themselves, Delice said, "I think it's a message we should listen to."

2. nixuser

nixuser nw Member

well when seconds count the cops are minutes away so why shouldn't they protect their community's or what's left of it !!!

3. nixuser

nixuser nw Member

4. redclk430

redclk430 Portland, OR New Member

That's not shocking, the same thing will happen here when we're hit with a major quake. Except I think it would happen sooner, there are way too many gun toting "heroes" just itching to see what a real shootout feels like.

5. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Portland area Member

Red, you must hang out with a different set of gun owners than I do. I don't know any "gun toting heroes itching for a gun fight". All the gun owners I associate with are law abiding citizens who respect the rule of law and have a great desire to stay alive, prudence over recklessness.

Does anyone know the state of firearms ownership in Haiti? Is it highly restricted? Restricted but often ignored? Or is the police suggesting machete wielding vigilantes?

6. redclk430

I hear you, but you have to admit, the people you hang out with equals a small percentage of people that have guns. I know a few people that, if given the chance would choose to help/defend others by using guns. Some people try to avoid that situation and some go looking for it.. I think that was the distinction I was trying to make.

7. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That's a bunch of bull! You are buying into the gun-banners portrayal of gun owners! That stereotype is false to the core. If you want to see a portrait of the majority of gun owners go look in the mirror!

8. Iansstud

Iansstud SW WA / PDX Member

+1

9. BigDave

BigDave Portland Member

Amen! :thumbup:

10. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Well spoken!

11. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Vigilante Definition;

a member of a volunteer committee organized to suppress and punish crime summarily (as when the processes of law are viewed as inadequate); broadly : a self-appointed doer of justice.

Unless they are asked to go out and hunt down criminals, its not vigilante, its protecting what's yours.

12. redclk430

I really hope that you are right. History tells me your wrong.

13. NWPilgrim

NWPilgrim Portland area Member

And what examples from history would that be? I don't recall any disaster scenario in the US in the last 30 years that resulted in "gun owners" hunting down suspicious people.

There are many examples of gun owners protecting their property, such as post-hurricane neighborhood warnings "Looters will be shot", armed neighborhood watch after Katrine, and Koreans protecting their stores during L.A. riots.

Please cite examples of regular gun owners turning to rabid shooters. Otherwise you come across as a troll trying to perpetuate a liberal lie about gun owners.

And let's not refer to gangs, thugs, and other criminals as gun owners. They are criminals before and after a disaster.

14. redclk430

Maybe that's there way of mass deputizing? Kinda like saying, hey everyone, you need to beat those criminals over the head with sticks... let us know when it's safe to come back :laugh:

15. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

Haiti is indeed an incredibly corrupt country, and long has been - way before Duvalier and the Tonton Macoute. Its' people have never known anything different and they way we live is far beyond many of their imaginings. Comparing their current circumstance to how we would be affected by a similar catastrophe is apples and oranges.

All the more reason they can stand a hand up, and God knows they need it.

Don't let their corrupt government discourage you giving to help - there are plenty of transparent, effective US-based groups that are there to help - NW Medical Teams, Mercy Corps, Red Cross - money we send won't be funnelled to the Haitian Government. Send it and take heart in knowing that you are caring for the least of those among us.

16. Bark

Bark Oregon Member

+1 and at the moment they have no functioning goverment to steal from them!

17. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I agree the majority of gun owners are people you can trust and people I want next to me when the ish goes down.

However I think the main people that give us a bad wrap is the new gun owners, people who get into guns without learning laws or practicing common sense, or young people that let their emotions control their actions.

Then there's just your stupid people that are criminals that haven't been caught yet.

I certainly don't blame Haiti for telling their people to protect themselves, I wish they would have allowed people here to do the same with Katrina, L.A., etc and maybe we wouldn't have had moving into other areas, or staying there and making problems for the good guys with guns.

18. redclk430

I'm not sure how "there are way too many gun toting "heroes" just itching to see what a real shootout feels like. " translates to what your saying.

19. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

Red,

How do you know there are a bunch of gun toting "heroes" ready to shoot? I am curious to know how you believe this. I don't believe it and never heard of it. Plus I served 10 years in the military and did not see it there. Of course you have a select few and I mean few who may have a disregard for life and law but you have to back a statement up as strong as yours with something. The only time I have heard that is when a lot of liberals start complaining about gun laws and they have no idea about the topic or truth. If you can support that statement great but if not please don't say things like that. All it does is support this current gun ban proposal in WA.

20. wawaverider

wawaverider PDX, OR Member

Red,
    I have to be repetitive. While there is a group of yahoos looking for a gun fight they are small percentage (thugs, mall ninjas, etc) I agree with someones previous post about the gun owners you know.