JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What to do with a hairline crack

• Don't worry. Keep shooting!

Votes: 19 65.5%
  • Replace the stock

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Repair

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • Make it a wall hanger

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I have a 20 gauge break action shotgun that was made around 1950. I've had it about 20 years and have sunk more money than a break action is worth. But it's a fun little shooter.

I recently noticed a hairline crack on the left side of the stock. What would you do? Keep shooting? Repair? Replace the stock? Or make it a wall hanger?

425FB48C-A8A1-44A9-8BC1-4B7D95CDF483.jpeg

Hey Folks,

I have a 20 gauge break action shotgun that was made around 1950. I've had it about 20 years and have sunk more money than a break action is worth. But it's a fun little shooter.

I recently noticed a hairline crack on the left side of the stock. What would you do? Keep shooting? Repair? Replace the stock? Or make it a wall hanger?

View attachment 994661
Keep shootin..I don't see anything bad enough to worry over. If it bothers/concerns, remove it & repair it or get it repaired. My .25¢ worth..(had to account for inflation ya know)

Dan

I voted for don't worry and keep shooting it.

If it really bothers you...a little bit of epoxy or glass bedding in the crack...then a little refinish on the stock , will do the trick.
Or...
Just send it to me...I love 20 gauge shotguns...and a new to me grouse gun is always of interest...:D
Andy

I had a horse break the wrist of a beautiful 300 wby clean in two. Installed a couple of little inletted plates and screws and epoxied it up. It held up just fine.
That little check/crack is just cosmetic.

I appreciate ya'lls feedback. Looks like I'll keep shooting it (maybe a dab of glue for good measure)

Nice try @Andy54Hawken.. almost had me. But if you ever want to shoot some grouse I'd be happy to bring it up as a loaner.

A bit of epoxy worked into that hairline crack will help keep it from becoming an actual problem.

Beyond that.. it's a good looking ole single, have fun shooting it :)

I did a couple of repairs like this at gunsmithing school.

Using the appropriate size bit drill (should be in a size for which you can get a matching dowel) through the middle of the crack from the front to the end.
Degrease the crack so the epoxy to come will adhere.
Fill the drilled hole with gun grade epoxy and push the dowel into the hole. It should cause the epoxy to squish out through the crack.
Remove excess epoxy ASAP.
Trim the dowel to match the stock.

Note that the crack is right where a flat surface meets a radius on the receiver. I think that place where two surfaces meet is concentrating recoil force and causing the crack. Look at the end of the stock where the crack is. If you can see that the receiver is pounding the wood in a single small area relieve the stock just enough that the recoil is transferred to the two surfaces that meet at the crack instead of being concentrated in one little place.

I've got a pretty classy old BYF43 Sporter that had about an 8" crack in the fore-end. I dremeled out a half dozen slots across the crack, layed in some welding wire and filled with epoxy. Then I fixed where the front of the stock was not wide enough for the barrel. It's held up for a number of years. You could do the same with the action off the stock and no one would know.

Stock Code.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads