JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A low ball offer is just that, an offer. You don't need to take it or get bent out of shape, at least it shows interest. Just say no and what you expect to sell it for. My biggest peeve is someone that eventually agrees on a price after a bunch of back and forth then doesn't follow through (buying or selling).

I've also seen someone try to double-end a deal on a popular item by low-balling on one site and offering it for sale at the same time on another site at a jacked up price (tip; if you're that guy...don't use someone's current ad photos in your ad...at least say you can't figure out how to upload a picture from your Iphone.)

I think Wayno hit it on the head!
besides the statement" if it ever gets to this price, more than 50% of asking price, let me know"

just a questions because I've never seen it on here and it was broughten up in a thread earlier. has anyone ever seen anyone with negative feedback? I know my feedback is low because I have only purchased 1 gun on here but I cant say I have ever seen anyone with negative....

just a questions because I've never seen it on here and it was broughten up in a thread earlier. has anyone ever seen anyone with negative feedback? I know my feedback is low because I have only purchased 1 gun on here but I cant say I have ever seen anyone with negative....

I've seen a few, but they're not common. Usually someone either flakes on a sale or the two get into some kind of disagreement and the negative feedback is their way to get back at someone. I don't think most folks here are crooks that warrant negative feedback. My experience with anyone from NWFA has always been positive - in fact, I came to NWFA after selling to an NWFA member off of Armslist 2 years ago - he told me about NWFA and I joined up.

Never bought or sold here. Look at the classified from time to time. Prices seem to generally be slightly lower than new unless mods aplenty exist, then it tends to be a case of them trying to get what they put in, out of it. In other words too much. Final sale price, who knows?

Crazy to get bent out of shape with a lowball offer, just ignore it! Or not if you desperately need cash. That's the way of the world.

I would rather buy new than pay 5 or 8 % less for used myself. Of course it's nice not to have to pay a BG fee and have it recorded who knows where or what for, and how many I bought! That's probably why the classified section is so busy. That and it's impossible to buy a NEW H&R auto ejector break top revolver, or a Nylon 66 or a First Generation..........

Haggle yes for sure it is all part of the game in the end as long as all parties that are involved leave happy it is a win win. I would say lowball is a must if someone has a price on a firearm of $1700 and retails new for $1200 than lowball away my friends they deserve it !

I don't mind a conversation and then a discussion of price but if you come off like a pawn shop dude you are history in my book!!!!
There is haggling and then there is flat out rudeness that should not be tolerated.... as I know what a reasonable price is for my stuff and have sold quite a bit here & elsewhere.

Last Edited:
I have haggled, horsetraded, wheeled and dealed (call it what you want) most of my life and have learned one thing - if you get 'lowballed' YOU HAVE A POTENTIAL BUYER! Your response to the offer is going to make or break the deal. Embrace the offer, joke about it but don't take offense to it because if you do you will most likely leave the person not willing to listen to anything more you have to say - especially counteroffers. It's the old story about flies, sugar and vinegar. Try this next time you get 'lowballed' - say "Ok, I'll CONSIDER that but what do you have to throw in with it?" - and see what happens. I can honestly say I have come up with some pretty neat things because of this - including a Dan Weson .357 one time on a boat deal. Understand this - if someone wants something bad enough they might be willing to give up something that has more potential value than the amount of the cash reduction of the lowball offer. Stay open minded, be creative and NEVER expect to 'make out' on every deal. Quite frankly I laugh at a fair amount of firearms for sale posts because the seller has already eliminated most potential buyers simply by the verbiage of the ad.

Yep, its true. I have made a lot of cash deals in person ( at my last real job I bought surplus tools and equipment as well as being an auction buyer, I also sold the stuff eventually) And I usually throw a lowball offer back in the persons face if its in person. If I am asking $100 and they offer $50 I say "How about $125?" Most will chuckle and you can then actually start to make a deal. The best advice I could ever give about making a deal is never be in love with what your buying or selling. Always be prepared to walk way. Some of the best deals I ever made where things I did not want to buy. If I didn't want it and they kept insisting I make an offer I give them something ridiculous, sometimes they take it. One time I got a call from a construction outfit that was doing some work on a hospital. There was a big autoclave sterilizing compacter for medical waste. The guy was insistent that I make him an offer on the phone without even seeing it. I told him $500. We went and picked it up and before it came off the truck I called the manufacture to see what I could learn about it. They offered me $10,000 sight unseen and sent in a truck the next day to haul it off.

Last Edited:
The difference between low-balling and making a reasonable offer is that a low-ball will get you a simple "no" while a reasonable offer will get you a counter offer, which leads to haggling.

The most annoying thing I get is "what's your lowest price", as if they expect me to undercut myself. Make me an offer. It's not hard.

It's just part of the game. I'll always mark stuff up more than I want for it. If somone is desperate enough to pay asking price without trying to negotiate, I'm not going to complain one bit! I've spent a lot of time overseas and that's where I'm at now. We go to the souqs here and it's all about haggling and such. It's always funny to see a new guy pay asking price without hesitation. The shopkeepers are almost shocked! LOL. With anything, if you don't like a price you were offered, all you have to say is no. This especially rings true when you have "OBO" on your post. I have also learned that unless I am in desperate need of the money, I also always put up that I'm open to any and all trades. At one time I traded a WASR-10 AK-47 for a 95 Toyota Camry, strait across! The monetary value wasn't exactly equal, but in the end, we both got what we wanted so win, win for all....but you will never know unless you ask and put it out there.

OBO can mean a lot of things too. I have secured some really great deals by paying MORE than the asking price. I bought some Wilton vises one time that where listed on Craigslist for $300. One of the three was a 8" machinist vise that has a new retail price of $3500. I called the lady and she said already had someone coming to look at them. I said "its Or best offer right" she said yeah but he is willing to pay full price. I told her I would pay $400, I got the vises. I sold one of three for $800 and kept the other two. I onetime bought a Bridgeport mill for $300 that was listed for $200 OBO. If its a great deal it pays to offer more than the asking price just to make sure you get the deal. There are often many replies, yours needs to stand out.

I have never been able to go into those estate sales and take advantage of people. You die and leave behind all you have worked for only to have the buzzards come in and take advantage of what your family doesn't know. If they know what it's worth yet sell it for cheap then ok, but never been able to lower my standards for a few bucks.

I have been on the other end of the Estate sale thing recently. When my mother in law died we were left with a huge house and a full storage unit of stuff. most of it was awesome really cool and every expensive stuff and my wife spent over a year going through it seeing what she wanted to keep as mementos and family herlooms and then we were left with a plethora of things that while they were expensive and very nice we just didnt have the room or want to pay for the storage of anymore. we sold alot of it at what i would call screaming deals and are slowly whittling down the rest or donating it to anyone BUT Goodwill.

I would personaly have loved for people to come and buy some of the odds and ends not nessicarliy because we needed the money but more so because i would like me garage back.

A good example of buzzards... Friends mother had terrible auto accident and was crippled and soon after her dad died of heart failure. Buzzards came around to buy the old man's guns and offered very little for some fine old Winchesters. It's a lame person (can't call them a man) that would basicly steal from a woman in a wheel chair.

Had a guy at a show bragging about his lying to a fellow on an old Colt SAA. Convinced the seller the gun wasn't what it really was then bought it and made big money on the resale. Dealer was a liar. Point being, know what you have and bargain in and honest manner then it makes it easier to look in the mirror.:D That's just the way I deal, you guys do it the way you see fit.

I have been on the other end of the Estate sale thing recently. When my mother in law died we were left with a huge house and a full storage unit of stuff. most of it was awesome really cool and every expensive stuff and my wife spent over a year going through it seeing what she wanted to keep as mementos and family herlooms and then we were left with a plethora of things that while they were expensive and very nice we just didnt have the room or want to pay for the storage of anymore. we sold alot of it at what i would call screaming deals and are slowly whittling down the rest or donating it to anyone BUT Goodwill.

I would personaly have loved for people to come and buy some of the odds and ends not nessicarliy because we needed the money but more so because i would like me garage back.

I have taken on the sale of dead friends estates so I know what you are saying. People accumulate way too much stuff and leave it for their families to be rid of. Basically a garage sale is giving away what you have worked for. Low prices and the time you have to sit there you would be better off donating and taking a tax deduction. Plus no matter how low the price you have the hagglers who just have to get that better deal.

What is fair, guess that's up to the man in the mirror:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads