JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not at all. Haggling over price is a natural part of a transaction. It may or may not result in a move in the price but it's a negotiation. Low balling is not a negotiation, it's a offer that often insulting. I am of the sort that won't even contact a person if there price is way high. It's usually fools errand to try and educate someone

So what determines the value, what you paid for it or what it's worth to you? I hear from sellers they won't take less than what they paid, but what if you paid too much? Take ARs , just a short time ago they sold for inflated prices and today you can buy nib for less than a used guns. Is it low balling to offer less than a nib AR cost?

Gun prices are falling and there are fewer buyers today yet one good crisis and inflated prices and spooked buyers will be back. It's called the free market:D

What determines the price is what someone will pay. Seems like lots of folks have a hard time with that. As in .22lr is not worth $/40 brick. Well it's pretty hard to argue that when it sold in minutes at that price. There is a difference between what your willing to pay and market value

What determines the price is what someone will pay. Seems like lots of folks have a hard time with that. As in .22lr is not worth $/40 brick. Well it's pretty hard to argue that when it sold in minutes at that price. There is a difference between what your willing to pay and market value

By that logic then there is no such thing as a low-ball, nor a price gouge since my willingness to pay and market value have no margin for comparison at all.

:rolleyes:

*edit*

I say this because I think it's humorous that people will get offended by a low ball but will also think there is no such thing as price gouging- coming to the conclusion that anything someone is willing to pay is a fair price- but the same is not true if they undercut your asking price.

Is a "low ball" not something that someone is willing to pay?

There is such a thing as a low-ball
There is such a thing as a price gouge

Don't believe me? You should see some of the listing in the classifieds on or around 2010-2012

Today 22 is just like ARS of last year, people panic buy and make them hard to get. You are right that they will sell to some buyers for $40, heck I have seen people ask $125 a brick at the shows. The free market will set the price by supply and demand. When the panic is over will 22 still be $40 a brick? Will you have to haggle with bimart when the store shelves fill up:D

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Gouging and lowball are subjective and relative only to your personal opinion

They are not quantifiable, thus they don't have any definitive definition

Just as I stated before market price And asking price or unrelated. Just as a private persons price can be above or below market price so can retailers such as Bimart. Currently their price is too low which is why there's not any on the shelf.

If you are going to sell something i am assuming you no longer want this item. If that is so I am not going to pay you full price or more for it. Often times I reply to a post and tell them that if they get no better offer I would be willing to pay a certain price for it. This price is usually quite a bit lower than the asking price.

There is no actual thing as price gouging because it's the buyer who always sets the price. It's always the buyer who determines the ceiling for a market. Unless you want to explore communist options where someone determines what's fair for you there really is no other option. It's high school level economics. You may think or feel someone is price gouging, that feeling is real but it's no different than saying your anger is real because your angry. It's subjective.

There is no actual thing as price gouging because it's the buyer who always sets the price. It's always the buyer who determines the ceiling for a market. Unless you want to explore communist options where someone determines what's fair for you there really is no other option. It's high school level economics. You may think or feel someone is price gouging, that feeling is real but it's no different than saying your anger is real because your angry. It's subjective.

Oh trust me, I'm not one to be for market caps...but I think it's funny to curse at low-ballers with the same breath as to defend a price gouge...if buyers truly determine the market then if your crap is overpriced, it's overpriced.

Agreed, but if it's overpriced it won't sell thus it's still the buyer setting the price.

I don't get mad at "price gougers" or "lowballers". I've bought and sold enough to feel pretty confident about what is fair. I have had a lot of times where a guy will offer me half what I'm asking and act like he is doing me a favor willing to even pay that and 20 minutes later selling to someone who was thrilled to pay full price.

That's the biggest issue with this whole topic. People get offended.

Why is it we are hard wired to take it personal? I mean it should not affect you one bit if someone offers you less than you want or you see someone who has priced something at a crazy price. Sometimes people go nuts though.

It wasn't on this forum but I once made a low offer on an item and the guy went mental. By the third email he was threatening to burn my house down and cut me up with an axe.

Why is it we are hard wired to take it personal? I mean it should not affect you one bit if someone offers you less than you want or you see someone who has priced something at a crazy price. Sometimes people go nuts though.

It wasn't on this forum but I once made a low offer on an item and the guy went mental. By the third email he was threatening to burn my house down and cut me up with an axe.

Wow...did you report the guy?

I would have made an offer on the axe too:D

If you are going to sell something i am assuming you no longer want this item.

Not necessarily so, if it were true, then it would apply to gun shops as well. I might offer something for sale, but am only willing to part with it for a certain price. If offered less than my price, I still want the item.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top