JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm going to attempt to condense a LONG story:

Went to my favorite shooting spot today.

Shot about 3 mags of 9's from my Skky.

Was picking up my brass, and a older Bronco pulled up to the short road leading to the "range."
3 people, 2 M, 1 F in Cab, just sat there for about 5 minutes looking at me.

I thought this was weird, and decided to pick up my brass, and leave.

All of a sudden, one M got out and started walking around his truck.
The other M got out, and started to walk at a 90 degree angle from me.

"OK, something definitely wrong here".

Then one M started walking towards me.

I raised my hand and said loudly "STOP! Don't come any closer!"

His response was a bunch of gangsta' crap.

I said "Don't come any closer. You make me feel uncomfortable., and I'm going to leave.
Back off, go back to your truck and leave, and I'll be out of here in 2 minutes".

Bunch of gangsta posturing and BS.

"I'm leaving, Get back! Back Off, and I'll leave".

He comes closer.

I grab my G26 and let him know I am armed, and Get AwaY!

He comes closer, all the time giving me Ship, and MOFO"ing me.

I pull out my AR, and point it at him, Yelling "Back off, GET AWAY!!

He backs off, so I jump in the truck, and have to go past him to get out of the area.

He is still giving me Ship, and throws a tire in the road to stop me, YELLING "You're not going to leave!"

I inch forward, he is standing in the tire, and I point my gun directly at him through the windshield yelling "GET THE F OUT OF THE WAY!!!

He jumps to the side, and comes around the passenger side, where my window is down, and starts to give a bunch of BS.

I pointed my gun directly at his face, and yelled "Get the F out of here. I'm leaving!!"

He starts to back off, I gave it some gas, and he throws a soda at the side of my truck.

I went about 50 yards, stopped to check my dog, and then got out of there.

Because this was out of cell service on BLM land,. I had to drive about a mile before I could call the Sheriffs Dept. I made a report, and they said I would be contacted by phone.

I drove the 3 miles into town, and went to the Sheriff Sub-station.

I explained the situation, and the sheriff (who I had spoken with about a month ago about speeding thru town) explained to me that these individuals are the scourge of the area, have been arrested numerous times, and the area I was shooting in was Notorious for "bad things happening".

He didn't even question my actions.

Here's the point; Throughout all of this interaction, I was not nervous, I was in complete control of my actions,(although I DID feel some adrenaline rush), and I felt in complete control of the situation.

I DID FEEL MY SAFETY WAS IN JEOPARDY, AND DID FEEL THREATENED.

But, because of some training, a lot of reading on line, a lot of practice handling guns, a lot of asking questions, I felt in control, not freaking out, not making irrational decisions, etc.

This is a really short explanation of the incident, but proved to me that all those classes/reading/questions did pay off.

DO IT!

PS. I' looking for another area to go to shoot.............:)

Could you give us an indication as to the general or exact place you had the issue?

I'd hate to be the next one up there.

And what kind of moron gives a guy with an AR and a glock guff?

Kudos for showing the restraint you did - I know some people that wouldn't have taken that much grief.

One is none ! Meaning always have a buddy with you since you were in"BFE" it is a good idea to play it safe. I am glad to hear you made it out of the situation safely .

Yes, I understand the buddy system, but sometimes it's not available.

I learned so much about how I MAY react in a situation like this, that it was almost worth going thru it.......if you understand what I mean.

Always carry concealed when you're up at your shooting spot. And act like the one you've been shooting is your only lifeline...

Good job handling the situation though :cool:

I'm always worried about this kind of stuff happening while I'm out in the woods. If I'm with anyone I always tell them to keep a pistol on them and loaded just in case. Fortunately I've never had anything like this happen. Not even close. Good job on staying calm!

Had a thought. I know we all feel we are good shooters. But, adrenalin can be a hinder to the common man. I think I will carry my tactical 12 gauge. Nice pattern on a gang bangers chin.

This is a very good example of not shooting up all your ammo at the range. Never know when your going to need it. Glad everything worked out for you and no one got hurt.(although I wouldn't feel a thing if those guys were shot by you:))

Good point - it would be prudent to always have one loaded self-defense handgun on your person at all times while shooting. When I am out like that I will often instead have the gun I am shooting and it won't be loaded while I am checking a target or picking up brass or something like that.

Never had any bad people bother me while shooting - I guess it takes a special kind of stupidity to decided to go after someone who is shooting, especially with multiple guns.

The good thing is that criminals are generally stupid - if they had been smart they would have come at you in a non-threatening friendly manner and then taken you down while you were off-guard.

Thanks for sharing.

Wow, that was freakin scary. The fact that they didn't back down when a loaded weapon was pointed at them simply proved that you were dealing with some bad-a$$ mo fo's that were going to mess you up if you didn't get out of there. Posturing or not, it was a bad situation. I think you handled it as well as you could given the circumstances - you're safe and you're not sitting in a police station answering as to why you smoked a couple of thugs.

One huge reason why it makes me nervous, even with a friend, to shoot out in the middle of nowhere.

This is a very good example of not shooting up all your ammo at the range. Never know when your going to need it. Glad everything worked out for you and no one got hurt.(although I wouldn't feel a thing if those guys were shot by you:))
Exactly.
I save a mag or two just in case.
In my head I say its for the "what if".. But subconsciously its probably just me practicing ammo conservation.. Because it (ammo) still isn't dirt cheap lol.

Thanks for sharing, great reminder. Good to hear you made it out of the situation alright.

Glad you're safe NoFlinch. For the same reasons, I tend to shoot with other people. A few basic concepts I try to observe:

- Plan a possible "tactical withdrawal" (retreat/escape) as I arrive.
- Vehicle(s) can pull straight out moving forward, no scrambling around in reverse.
- However many/few weapons are there, they're NEVER all empty.
- Everyone has a loaded sidearm. Others ready and safe.
- Shooting stops as strangers show up, swap in fresh magazines one wep at a time.
- Even if I look busy with other stuff, strangers are the focus of my attention.

Huge public area (like a rock pit) and room for others? Respectfully wait while they set up. Observe and evaluate their behavior, methods and demeanor. 90% of the shooters I've met are very cool, and I've shot some unfamiliar/exotic weapons with the coolest. Some shooters exhibit unacceptably sloppy range discipline and I leave. A few have zero concept of compressed personal space, safe proximity, trampled boundaries or insistent, intrusive inconvenience to others. Again, I'm willing to split.

That leaves a small fraction of 1% that I've been fortunate not to meet like the OP did yesterday. When the spidey sense starts tingling, it's time to express an intention to leave immediately and make it happen quickly, even if compelled to force your way out.

Last Edited:
About 6 months ago, I too realized how vulnerable I was being out by myself, shooting my gun until empty, with other empty guns around.

Now I ALWAYS have a loaded gun with another loaded mag either on me or within grabbing distance.

And I will ALWAYS take my AR with me, with multiple loaded mags..........

Makes me feel a lot safer.

To answer; These people are, from what the Sheriff said, a family of local tweekers. They are white boys, although I thought they were Mexicans.
The Sheriff said they look Mexican because they are always so dirty....o_Oo_O
They look to be in their early 30's, but sometimes it's hard to determine age in Tweekers.

The comment about how dumb they were to confront an armed person is a testimony to the wackoness of people on meth.

Meth heads scare the crap out of me, because they do not think straight at all, and there are thousands of them out there!

As to the Sccy, I had a kel-tec p-11, same size gun, almost the same gun as the Sccy. I'd shoot 1 mag thru it, and that's all I wanted to shoot. Hurt trigger finger, overall recoil was not nice, and normally, reasonable recoil doesn't bother me.

Sccy is made by people who used to work for Kel-Tec.

The sccy is 100% better. I shot 3 mags before the incident, and was ready to shoot more.
You"should" like it.:)

Thanks for everyone's support. I tell myself it didn't affect me, but my dog just aggressively barked at something, and I jumped up and looked out my windows, protection in hand.:(

One of the weird things is that I found out these people live about a mile from me as the crow flies....:(Luckily they are so twisted they probably wouldn't recognize me if I walked past them.
At least that's what I'm counting on:)

Be safe and smart everyone.:D:D

That is certainly a situation that you handled very well. Now i'm leaning more towards a buddy system since I like to shoot alone at times. Thanks for the heads up.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads