JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Picked me up a nice little Springer then went upriver a bit and got a pair of summer steelhead about 10mins apart. Best day fishing I've had in a long time.
20190528_081550.jpg
20190528_102847.jpg

Dang, I let one slip past me. Going out this morning for one last boat trip on the Willamette near St. Johns.
Your area sure looks prettier then where I'm fishing.

5" pumpkin/watermelon senko on a whacky rig for this one.
I'll have to head hit the river to chase chrome when I get a chance, I just needed the ego boost today. ;)

So is the Willamette just South of Portland easily navigated in a large boat? I have looked at my navionics app and it looks pretty deep and sloppy. The reason I ask is I will be looking to do a shakedown run with a 28' boat after a repower at Sportcraft Marine. It looks like there is a ramp at the Jon Storm park? Can it accommodate launching a boat like this and does it have a dock? Sorry for the thread drift but if anybody would know it will be fisherman. Oh and nice fish gents!

Last Edited:
So is the Willamette just South of Portland easily navigated in a large boat? I have looked at my navionics app and it looks pretty deep and sloppy. The reason I ask is I will be looking to do a shakedown run with a 28' boat after a repower at Sportcraft Marine. It looks like there is a ramp at the Jon Storm park? Can it accommodate launching a boat like this and does it have a dock? Sorry for the thread drift but if anybody would know it will be fisherman. Oh and nice fish gents!

That ramp is the one at Sport Craft Landing that @DirectDrive was alluding to above. Google Maps How big is the boat? How about a pic of that bad boy? The ramp and water depth are suitable for a large(r) boat but the turn to set up for backing may be a bit tight. The lot shouldn't have many rigs though as the springer fishery is mostly done for the season.

I wouldn't try that ramp with a boat of that length. There's one on the Clackamas River nearby, but there's no dock to tie up to.
Your best bet is Willamette Park which is on the West side of the Willamette River and closer in to Portland.
There is an entry fee of around $5.00 and there are some navigation dangers just upriver, but they are clearly marked.
6500 SW Macadam Ave, Portland, OR 97219

slb.jpg

I wouldn't try that ramp with a boat of that length. There's one on the Clackamas River nearby, but there's no dock to tie up to.
Your best bet is Willamette Park which is on the West side of the Willamette River and closer in to Portland.
There is an entry fee of around $5.00 and there are some navigation dangers just upriver, but they are clearly marked.
6500 SW Macadam Ave, Portland, OR 97219

View attachment 587121

I totally missed the 28 foot part. :eek: The problem with Willamette Park is he's going to need to cross the Willamette River to get there. Downtown is screwed with Rose Festival. Not that it isn't screwed up enough without the festival every other day of the year too? That leaves the Sellwood Bridge and threading his way down Tacoma to get on that side of the river. After the shakedown run he's going to need to get out of town. That means trying to get through PDX to the North, or going back South to the Sellwood. Osprey, I'm afraid for you. You get on THAT side of the river....Potland will "Have" you, and you'll never be the same.

Take a run down there without the boat and see what you think. And/or talk with the folks at Sportcraft.

He can drive South on Hwy 99 From Sportcraft Marine and cross over the I-205 bridge and then head North on Macadam Ave. straight to Willamette Park.
If all goes well, he can then continue North on Macadam and ramp straight onto I-5 North.

That ramp is the one at Sport Craft Landing that @DirectDrive was alluding to above. Google Maps How big is the boat? How about a pic of that bad boy? The ramp and water depth are suitable for a large(r) boat but the turn to set up for backing may be a bit tight. The lot shouldn't have many rigs though as the springer fishery is mostly done for the season.

I did a satellite view of that ramp and it looks like if I come in from the N on clacklamette dr, I will pull right past the ramps and be set up to launch. It looks like good docks as well. Here is a pick in current state in the process of motors being removed in prep for repower.

A157C737-31CE-48E2-A042-1AEDF0659C0C.jpeg

He can drive South on Hwy 99 From Sportcraft Marine and cross over the I-205 bridge and then head North on Macadam Ave. straight to Willamette Park.
If all goes well, he can then continue North on Macadam and ramp straight onto I-5 North.

Yeah, I know which way he can go. He's probably used to towing that boat through/around Seattle. Last time I fished Cedar Oak I refused to do the stop and go thing from the on ramp all the way to the NE 43rd exit and opted for back roads all the way home on the East side. Trying to change lanes in stop-and-go traffic on the so-called freeway with the worst drivers in the US isn't my idea of the end of a good day. And my boat is only 17.5'!

Appreciate the advice gents. I will have time to reconnoiter the area while boat is being rigged. Hell I am a fish out of water in Seattle let alone a strange city. Hopefully it is not too much of a sh!t show.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top