JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From what I understand Hodgdon no longer makes H4831SC, but H4831 is still available. I have recent manuals that list H4831SC, but don't list H4831.
Anyone have an insight if the two are interchangeable? If I remember correctly, the SC (short cut) was introduced to flow better through many powder measures, but can't remember if the burn rate changed when the powder kernels were shortened.

Back in the dark days when powder availability was scant, I used them interchangeably. While burn rate charts have them the same I always got more velocity and better accuracy off the long cut 4831. I believe this may be caused by more surface area on the 4831sc resulting in faster burn.

Same same except the sc version meters better. They still sell both powders, as I saw them both just the other day at our local Bi-mart. However, the main difference (to me) is the price. H4831SC is $4.00 more per pound and not worth the difference as far as I'm concerned. I've never had a problem with the way regular old H4831 meters through my RCBS uni-flow powder measure. That's actually saying a lot: It grumbles and gripes when I drop charges of IMR4350 and similar long stick powders....

Last Edited:
I second bsa1917hunters comment. I have used them interchangeably for years. According to the manufacturer, the only ly difference was metering ease, but I never had a problem with 4831 long, so why pay the extra $ :s0092:

I had a friend call me the other day and ask what powder to buy for his 270 Winchester, since I load for him. I told him to get the H4831. He said, "there's 2 H4831 here at the store" and I said, "buy the cheaper one!!!!!!!!"...:D

I have had excellent results with 55 gr 4831 under 130 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips (seconds) in .270. Some nice mulie racks from same. Metering: I was just careful to keep a close eye on my RCBS Uni-Flow... but ever since I switched to the RCBS digital pow dispenser it makes either regular or short cut a non-issue. Either one works.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top