JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
It's a serious question, i'm allocating $500 to, well, i dunno yet.
Thinking about: (recommendations encouraged)
A Handgun
A Rifle
Making a Bug-out Pack (need to know what to put in it)
and, odds and ends i dont know about, maybe some silver.

might help to know what you already have in your collection.
Everyone should own...
- a 12 gauge defensive (18-20" barrel) shotgun - pump or semi
- a .22 rifle
- a carry handgun

If you want something that is really fun, and cheap to shoot, I love my new Sig 522.

as far as what to put in a bug out pack..

I have two. One is a Camelbak style water carrier that is more of a get home bag.

It contains:
Water 1.5L
water purification tablets
200' nylon cord
box knife
rescue knife
headlamp LED flashlight
whistle
candles and matches and a bic lighter
1st aid kit
poncho/shelter
2 glock 33rnd mags
100 rounds 9mm JHP
Notebook and pencil

My other is a full backpacking backpack.

Sleeping bag
Bivi bag
Down vest
Socks
4 x 1 Qt water bottles
water filter (Pur hiker)
Dried food and energy bars
Small vials of bleach
TP
travel toothbrush and paste
40 12 Gauge 00 buck
10 12 gauge slug
200' nylon cord

I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of the contents but you get the gist.

Priority is water and water purification.
Next would be shelter/ability to stay warm/dry.
1st aid kit is important
the rest is just for comfort and convenience.

If you like mosins, you should look into a Finnish M39, basically the top of the line mosin.

The good thing about surplus soviet weapons is that you can get 3-4 guns with $500:s0112:

haha it's true, A Finn would be nice, also kinda want an SKS too. but those can be pricey it seems like.
and as much as an SVT40 or a Dragunov would be nice, kinda out o f the price range.

I wrote down the Camelpak idea, prolly add/subtract to it and put some money into that.

a .22 wouldn't be a terrible idea, but kinda wanna get my main arsenal started first.

Any non-boomstick SHTF items i'm forgetting?

+1 on a bugout/emergency bag.
Here are some outside the box items I included:

duct tape
thin plastic sheeting (used to cover floor when painting)
a pair of 2-way radios+batteries enclosed in tiny DIY faraday cage (alum. foil)
head lamp and flash light similarly enclosed as above

Duct tape has a million uses, but used in conjunction with the plastic it could temporarily seal off a room in the event of some airborne chemical/toxin/disease/volcanic ash. Maybe far fetched, but it takes up little space and has other uses.

*adds Duct Tape to the List*

I didn't think about it but now you mention it, never hurts to have a roll of he gray stuff with you. Binds the universe together it does.

Really appriciate the advice.
So, making a camelpak setup, and potentially getting a 9mm soon (took the advice of a friend's father, who's a dedicated 1911 .45 user, but doesn't discount the advantages of a 9mm round)...

Rest of the money.. figure a rifle and some small tuck-away investments (silver, rice, etc.) oh, and a C&R Collector license.

Rifle... 1 or 2 Mosins, an SKS? AK? (call me a Ruskie fan) no .22s yet, got a birthday in a few months, might swing one from that. AR's out of the price range, shotgun's covered by proxy(family members). got some favorite guns in the 300 range?

I appriciate the help, kinda getting into the game late, but figure if I start off right I can catch up easier.

as far as what to put in a bug out pack..

I have two. One is a Camelbak style water carrier that is more of a get home bag.

It contains:
Water 1.5L
water purification tablets
etc
etc

Off topic, but are those little pouches you have your extra 9mm in waterproof? I've been trying to find the best way to store ammo in my bag without buying one of those big plastic cases.

Off topic, but are those little pouches you have your extra 9mm in waterproof? I've been trying to find the best way to store ammo in my bag without buying one of those big plastic cases.

I'd say they were water resistant. I ran it under the faucet for about 30 seconds and it was still dry inside, but I haven't done a full submersion test yet. I'm sure they'll leak at the zipper.

Well I'm biased....I'd say if a person has a choice between more gear and more training I'd go for the training. Training is a force multiplier!!!

Knowledge and Skills once mastered are not easily left behind in an emergency, don't get stolen, lost, rust, or stop working.

Besides I've learned if I buy gear and then go to training I end up often regretting what I bought based upon incomplete info or out of ignorance. After training I can make a more rationale and intellegent decision.

But I'm very biased. Maybe some grads from this course can back my hand :s0112:

http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/courses/Wilderness.htm

I'd say they were water resistant. I ran it under the faucet for about 30 seconds and it was still dry inside, but I haven't done a full submersion test yet. I'm sure they'll leak at the zipper.

That's about as good as you can get with something that has a zipper. What are they/where'd you get them?

they're neoprene pouches that came with Logitech web cameras I bought for a client.
I started with 6 and only had one spare that I sent to a member here.

Besides I've learned if I buy gear and then go to training I end up often regretting what I bought based upon incomplete info or out of ignorance. After training I can make a more rationale and intellegent decision.

But I'm very biased. Maybe some grads from this course can back my hand :s0112:

http://www.oregonfirearmsacademy.com/courses/Wilderness.htm

I have to agree big time with your point OFADAN...and I'm not a grad...YET! I did Appleseed this summer and I definitely wished I'd done this before buying my battery. It convinced me to focus and get better quality. Since then, I've sold off my WWII bolt guns that I just didn't use. This basic exposure to training also proved to me the merit of focusing on a few platforms and know them in/out. In other words, lots of guns that you hardly ever shoot is much worse than a few that you do practice with a lot. It also convinced me of your point too...get training and not just more and more gear. I plan to get your basic handgun course this summer/fall.

With $500 you could get an Sks, the Bimart camel bak AND take the wilderness course!
(BTW thanks for posting that OFADAN, I grew up in the country, but I've been a city boy far too long, I could use a course like that).

I too am a fan of older milsurp guns, have 3 mosins, all shoot amazing. I also have two AK's but by far my surprise favorite purchase of last year was a SKS I got from a member of this forum. Man I love that gun. It was in pristine condition, shoots great and much more accurate than my AK's. When I hold it in my hand it is just so....balanced, great great fun shooting gun.
Just my opinions :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top