JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A friend of mine inherited a H&R Handy Gun from his grandfather a few years ago. It is in .410 with a 12 inch barrel. The information I have been able to find mostly says it is illegal because it was never registered in 1934 or 1968 but this information all seems to be more that six years old. Does anybody know if there is a way to register the gun now? I know it has been added to the curios and relics list, but I'm not sure how that applies here.

Also, how much trouble would it cause, were somebody to come around looking for it? He is in Oregon, if that is a factor. Just trying to help find a way to legally keep his grandfather's gun.

By the way, if you work for the government and are going to come look at my house, don't bother. This isn't a wink, wink, nudge, nudge, "my friend" kind of thing. I really don't have it, sorry to say. It is a fun little gun.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

It is a section IV Curios Or Relics. There are a few exceptions for genuine estate weapons handed down through a family.
Both the Handy Gun and Handy Rifle that has a removeable shoulder stock are listed.

I am not going to advise on this but start your search with Estate Firearms Transfers.

H & R Handy Gun: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/identification-of-nfa-firearms.html

Notice: All "Any Other Weapons" have a mandatory tax of $200.00 for making. Transfer of an "Any Other Weapons" is an additional $5.00.

Classification
Any Other Weapon
Distinctive Characteristics
Smooth bore shot pistol designed and manufactured in present condition, commonly referred to as a "Handy Gun."

Rate of Transfer Tax
$5.00

ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You can also call the Seattle Office. Voice (206) 389-6860

A friend of mine inherited a H&R Handy Gun from his grandfather a few years ago. It is in .410 with a 12 inch barrel. The information I have been able to find mostly says it is illegal because it was never registered in 1934 or 1968 but this information all seems to be more that six years old. Does anybody know if there is a way to register the gun now? I know it has been added to the curios and relics list, but I'm not sure how that applies here.

Also, how much trouble would it cause, were somebody to come around looking for it? He is in Oregon, if that is a factor. Just trying to help find a way to legally keep his grandfather's gun.

By the way, if you work for the government and are going to come look at my house, don't bother. This isn't a wink, wink, nudge, nudge, "my friend" kind of thing. I really don't have it, sorry to say. It is a fun little gun.

Thanks for any help you all can provide.

Regarding the Handygun, I do not claim to be an expert on ATF rules and regulations but here is what I have found out (I used to have an FFL): The Handy gun was first produced in the mid to late 1920's, and was a legal firearm until the NFA of 1934, when shotguns with a barrel length of less than 18" were outlawed. From what I understand, not all Handyguns became illegal. Some were grandfathered and became "Curios or Relics", depending on date of manufacture and serial number, and therefore can be legally possessed. The Handyguns that fall into the other category, "NFA or Any Other Weapon", are contraband and cannot be registered or legally possessed under any circumstance. Someone who has the latter and keeps it does so illegally whether or not they are aware of the law. I think the difference is that production of the Handygun actually continued through and after passage of The NFA of 1934.
Please correct any errors if anyone who has more accurate info sees this.

Regarding the Handygun, I do not claim to be an expert on ATF rules and regulations but here is what I have found out (I used to have an FFL): The Handy gun was first produced in the mid to late 1920's, and was a legal firearm until the NFA of 1934, when shotguns with a barrel length of less than 18" were outlawed. From what I understand, not all Handyguns became illegal. Some were grandfathered and became "Curios or Relics", depending on date of manufacture and serial number, and therefore can be legally possessed. The Handyguns that fall into the other category, "NFA or Any Other Weapon", are contraband and cannot be registered or legally possessed under any circumstance. Someone who has the latter and keeps it does so illegally whether or not they are aware of the law. I think the difference is that production of the Handygun actually continued through and after passage of The NFA of 1934.
Please correct any errors if anyone who has more accurate info sees this.

No thread is too wrong to be brought back from the dead if for nothing more than reference sake.

Thats a whole bunch of wrongness right there.

Just for reference sake the Harrington and Richardson Handy Gun is an AOW because it does not have a buttstock and it has a barrel under 18" and it is a smooth bore. Its not a shotgun . Its an AOW. If you have one that has not been transferred properly or was never entered into the NFA registry yeah, your'e screwed. It can't be undone and its contraband aka an illegal firearm that is a NFA violation. You can rifle the barrel or have it sleeved as a pistol with a rifled sleeve and it'll be OK but not original. The serial number and date of manufacture have zero to do with it. A legally registered handy gun is a C&R AOW and can be transferred without a Class 3 dealer across state lines on a $5 stamp and can have a value of up to $4000 if the condition is right despite its inherent ugliness and lack of utility. A non registered handy gun is just a felony in a box. Nothing more

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top