JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to H&R block the other day to have my taxes offically done for the first time. (we actually make some money now. :cool:)
The guy was really nice, and probably spent an hour and a half with us answering all are questions, typing in our info, etc. At the beginning he quoted us a fee of anywhere from $300-$350, but by the end he said our total would be $497 with all the forms we did. To his credit he said the $300-350 was just a guestimation, but we would have never done it if we knew it was going to be that much. In addition, we were a little upset because the program he used look almost identical to turbotax that we could have done by ourselves. (and have done in the past). Our taxes are not that complicated, we don't own a home, no real estate, debt, loans, etc. That seems like too much money. We are under no obligation to pay anything, because we have not completed our tax forums with them, and have not signed anything. However I feel bad he spent so much time with us. I wish we could simply pay him a consultation free for his time, and simply do it on our own. What should I do, I want to be honest and fair, but I am not happy with the final price (non-negotiable). thank you

A couple of years ago my girlfriend dropped off her taxes to be done at H&R Block, the fee was $250.00. We went home and got online to TurboTax, after coming up with the exact same numbers as H&R Block did (it took about 15 minutes) she went back to them and told them she decided to go a different route with filing her taxes and picked them up ,then filed electronicaly. They didn't charge her because they were never filed by H&R Block. I quit going to H&R Block several years ago after having to tell my "tax preparer" which forms I needed to file, she couldn't figure it out...

Man, was he wearing a mask when he asked for your 500 ?

I have used turbo tax online now for several years, I couldn't be happier. I file for myself, and spouse.

My tax situation is pretty simple, no house, standard deductions. I did move some IRA money into a Roth, Turbo tax asked a few questions, done. Also lived in ca half the year, no issues with turbo tax there either.

I wouldn't pay him, but I would have never spoken with him either.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Wish I would have know this about TurboTax a few days ago....Just did my taxes through them online. Guess it's good they didn't get any of my money since I did the free "military" edition... Still can't believe how companies are caving to DC with this crap. I'm even happier now that I refinanced my truck through a local bank and took the business away from Chase.

I used to use TaxAct Online for years and double check it on HRblock.com to see if it gets better results. Most of the time it didn't. This year it was a few hundred dollars difference, so I used that instead.
Also it was way easier, owning a home, having a kid, recently buying a home, having a HSA, pulling money out of the 401k for buying the home, stock purchases, paying property taxes, multiple state incomes, paying mortgage insurance, and a few other things I forget atm, all of this took under a hour to get done A-Z and costed me $27.95 to complete. Pretty easy if you have all your tax forms with you. No way would I ever pay $500 to file my taxes unless I had a lot of stuff going on (way more than listed) that had the potential of me being audited for thousands.

Highway robbery! I've used TT for years, own a house, run a farm, stocks, 401k, $25,000 in itemized deductions. With TT it takes me about an hour, and $50.

That's a lot. We have a house, two rentals and a business and our CPA is charging $6-700 with free minor business consultations throughout the year.

Tell them to pack sand!

I used to do my own when it was just simple stuff. I went to HRB one time when my taxes got complicated like yours and they wanted to charge 3 times what my CPA charges. I just go to my CPA now. He actually has an education and state creds to do this, compared to the monkeys at HRB who work at a Bar and moonlight as tax "data entry" monkeys during tax season, after a simple course from HRB.

Ha... H&R Block... I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut here about them. Let's just say I work for a Government Authority that deals with people every day that get screwed by H&R block. My advise to people is if you have a simple tax return, the best program out there is Taxslayer. They're absolutely free even with state taxes, whereas Turbotax charges a fee for State tax returns. Anyways, just wanted to chime in since taxes are my specialty.

Ha... H&R Block... I'm going to try to keep my mouth shut here about them. Let's just say I work for a Government Authority that deals with people every day that get screwed by H&R block. My advise to people is if you have a simple tax return, the best program out there is Taxslayer. They're absolutely free even with state taxes, whereas Turbotax charges a fee for State tax returns. Anyways, just wanted to chime in since taxes are my specialty.

Think I might use them next year. I have been using H&R Block's home program, however after I was audited two years ago and they gave me zero help, I have been looking for an alternative that wasn't Turbo Tax. Thanks for the input.

I've used taxact.com for many, many years. I use the 'Deluxe' edition which is $7.95 but there is a free edition. I own a home, itemize and have had stock sales and included my wifes small business. It's very easy to complete. No reason to use anything else unless you need a cpa for trust funds and such.

I think there are decent tax preparers out there, but H&R is not one of them.

Their patter is to say "oh wow, you owe $2,000, let me roll up my sleeves and see what I can do". And then the work their "magic" and it comes down and at the end you are getting $1,000 back. The ignorant walk out thinking "wow, H&R saved me a ton of money" when in fact they'd have gotten the same if they'd done it themselves with a 1040EZ.

If you own a business or have anything more than the simplest tax return, it is always better to have a pro/CPA sign your return. Your chances of being audited go way down. I haven't been audited since 1990. If I did them myself I'd have to deal with that hassle every five years or so.

As for H&R Block, I always laugh when I hear their name as they were portrayed in the Idiocracy movie. "Full Release" with every tax form filed - with the prostitute at the door to get me to come inside.

Excellent! Tubotax always gives me a higher refund. Before I used tubotax, I went to HR Block, Jackson hewitt, and other independent tax preparers. None of them gave me the kind of refund I get from the turbotax 2013 coupon which is the best alternative to HR Block .

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top