JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have experience with the H&R Model 999 Sportsman? It is a top-break, 9-shot, .22LR wheelgun. I've seen them from time to time and thought it might make a fun plinker, but I don't know a lot about them.

They look like this:
22453698_1.jpg

Thanks.

They're pretty neat. I had two 999's, a 4" and a 6".. and I also had a nice 6" H&R ".22 Special" 9 shot top break top.
The 999's I had were kinda rattley but didn't spit.. they seemed really loud even with tight barrel cylinder gaps, probably due to the very short cylinders?
Good shooters and accurate enough.. you'll likely only want to shoot them SA. lol

What the guys above said.

FWIW, if you are looking for an older DA revolver, I have had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe for 40 years now and that thing is still going strong despite what I am sure have been many thousands of rounds fired through it, so you may want to look at one of those. :)

What the guys above said.

FWIW, if you are looking for an older DA revolver, I have had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe for 40 years now and that thing is still going strong despite what I am sure have been many thousands of rounds fired through it, so you may want to look at one of those. :)

High Standard Double Nine is also nice.

While not a H&R 999 ... My first handgun I owned is a H&R 649.
Any of the H&R revolvers I have shot or handled seemed like a good , robust , no frills shooter.
Mine shoots well and always works.
Andy

I have a nickel-plated, 2 1/2" barreled, H&R 733 (in 32 S&W Long). When I worked security, I would drop it into my Police-jacket pocket. Talk about a comforting feeling at 2:30 a.m along MLK on a warm summer's night.

I had a 999 a few decades back. Had some timing issues, but if cocked vigorously it was OK. Very accurate in single action- never used the double action because of the timing.

They improved the firing pin in the later models. The early guns had very small diameter firing pins. They changed to a larger diameter in the later guns. Much better. I've had to make a few of the early styles. They are a bugger to turn on a lathe.

When these work, they are wonderful guns. When they do not, they can be a pain to repair.

They are becoming collectable. there is a forum for them on Greybeards outdoor web site. Look under the H&R Collectable page. I have never owned one but I have shot a few. The trigger pulls were not bad. DR

I still have an H&R 999 (break top) and it is a great deal of fun for "bunny bopping". I prefer taking the .32 S&W Long for such activities. You can kill a rabbit deader than hell with either one.

The H&R 733 .32 Long is kind of special because it's a bit more accurate and rabbits tend to drop like a stone with the 98-grain RNL. You'd be surprised how easily you can fill your pot with a "snub-nosed" .32.

Had one a few years ago. Accurate, decent sights, great SA trigger. As others have said, so-so DA trigger.
For close to the same money, you can pick up a shooter grade K22 Target Masterpiece S&W. Less
capacity, more gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top