Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

H.R.5344 (Body Armor Ban)

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Morpheus, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

As if the government didn't have enough to do, Rep. Honda, Michael M. [D-CA-17] introduced this little gem. The goal is to ban body armor.

Why? I don't know, but I'm sure there is some logic that Body Armor must be bad in the hands of civilians. Considering I know of only one documented case of a criminal using body armor while carrying out a crime, why the hell is someone wasting tax payer money on this crap?

Bill Details:
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/5344/text

It was just submitted, so who knows how far it will go. But it is just stupid.

2. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Unbelievable.

3. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

the Commies cant have anyone putting up a fight when they take over.

Riot, decklin, orygun and 1 other person like this.
  4. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Now, besides quick quips. How do people feel about the whole Body Armor question?

I've always put in a list of items which I lable "Nice to have in my Tin Foil Hat dooms day dreams." The whole ideas someone might ban ownership, is silly. But in a practical sense who would actually use it normally?

When I used to go more open gun ranges or just wilderness areas, I used to ponder a vest for protection against idiots who might do a ND in my direction. Recently that has changed, so I don't worry about it as much.

What are people's thoughts on body armor?

5. Slobray

Slobray Yelm, WA Well-Known Member

The why is easy, look at his political affiliation and his state.

Ray

Caveman Jim likes this.
  6. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

I see it as a nice to have if ever needed/SHTF item, not a must have. It's not something I actively seek out or feel I need to have to be fully prepared. A well placed shot deems it useless anyway. If I had a years worth of other supplies at the ready, no guns on my 'want list' (ya right), and ammo to feed them all then I would consider putting some on my shopping list. Maybe someday....

Dyjital likes this.
  7. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

Riot likes this.
  8. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Because it's just another "look at me, I'm a good person and I care about public safety" stunt that's geared towards low-information voters' emotions, rather than actual facts on history or common sense... and in typical "liberal-progressive" fashion nothing of substance will occur, except to make law-abiding citizens into criminals with the stroke of a pen.

My thoughts on armor? If you can afford it, and don't use it to help facilitate committing a crime, knock yourself out. I'm prowling around for a decent personal system, just to have.

9. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

It seems that if congress sees fit to ban body armor, we should also ban it for police, after all the police are civilians, I think we should also consider banning it's use by the military, as they too answer to civil authorities.

10. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I have mine and if things go south, its the first thing going on.

11. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Buy now. These MF'ers will get this crap passed. Ill fight it tooth and nail.. But we have weak leadership..

Hopefully people see through this.

We should tie body armor to the right to self preservation. A natural right.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

IF SHTF comes the laws won't mean a hill of beans. People forget that.
    But fight the idiots law anyway on general principal.

13. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

Why are these fools so friggin scared of, my gosh, they are a bunch of friggln scardy cats!!!!!

Slobray, U201491 and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  14. rupey7

rupey7 Pacific Northwest Active Member

Only one reason to ban ownership by civilians, to put us at a disadvantage. Who would want us to be at a disadvantage, those who want to pass the law. What are they afraid of? Something stinks here, too many things going South these days.

15. elsie

elsie Way over there on the left Well-Known Member

Ask him if he wants to ban other safety equipment, like seat belts, because they might protect a bad guy as well.

elsie

16. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, they say the same thing about people who choose to have and carry firearms, have savings accounts, and prepare for the future.

U201491 and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  17. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

I have a Safariland III-A vest; it is great in the winter and pretty miserable in summer. Those are my initial thoughts about the stuff. :)

This guy might be grandstanding on the North Hollywood incident (?) Anyway his proposed law covers level III and above, so a III-A would be still OK to have, if adopted as written. That would protect from slower .44 Magnum and high speed 9mm and "lower power" rounds like .45 ACP, which I should think would be pretty good for "street use" anyway.

The III and IV vests are jus miserable, unless there's been some huge improvements in weight and heat reduction in the really expensive, top-of-the-line gear, and by that I mean $800 and up price tiers.

18. GUNARCHER

GUNARCHER Well-Known Member

Kind of goes against the back packs, school desk tops and other protective gear being developed for children

19. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

Not if those items are rated below level III, and probably they all are. Stopping a 7.62 FMJ round takes serious armor.

20. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm not seeing how this will work. I'll simply by a newly renamed AR500 steel target. Silhouette shape, curved for easier hanging and less ricochet.

Or the rhino lined version for even less ricochets.