JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-197

1/6/2009--Introduced.
National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2009 - Amends the federal criminal code to establish a national standard for the carrying of concealed firearms (other than a machinegun or destructive device) by non-residents. Authorizes a person who has a valid permit to carry a concealed firearm in one state and who is not prohibited from carrying a firearm under federal law to carry a concealed firearm in another state in accordance with the restrictions of that state or as specified under this Act.

My thoughts:

Pros: Would make it easier for those with a current CCL to conceal/carry in other states.

Cons: Enshrines the notion of a "permit" being required for conceal/carry at the federal level. (i.e. Conceal/Carry is a privledge not a right) Opens the door for future "enhancements" like a federal conceal/carry permit.

Why would we support this measure?

Actually it just missed being passed last year. If they had gone only on a simple majority it would have passed, but they put in the need for a supermajority and it failed due to that.

Not sure, I'd like to see it passed but then there's the possibility of a simple pen stroke by those in power that wipes out ALL concealed carry in the whole US.

Not sure, I'd like to see it passed but then there's the possibility of a simple pen stroke by those in power that wipes out ALL concealed carry in the whole US.

No, it doesn't. Just because someone says it isn't legal doesn't mean that people won't do it.

I, for one, will still CC regardless of legality.

Chances are, with reciprocity. Each state you go to carry in will want fees to make your carry permit valid in their states.

And they still might have different criteria from state to state. State 1 Might just want an NRA Safety Course while State 2 might want you to have specific training for carrying too, state 3 might have Safety, Carry training, and Range time.

Seems like it'd be too much of a hassle if it worked out that way. And if I know Beareaucracy, it will.

It tramples on States rights. The Thune amendment tried to do the same thing last year and failed.

It's ironic that politicians like Thune claim to support state's rights, but the moment a state steps out of line on guns, drugs or gay marriage they are ready to call in the feds and legislate it from DC.

You all fail to recognize that it's a God given right that's recognized in the Constitution, the second ammendment to the Bill of Rights in fact. The State has no business infringing on this right and it's well within the Federal government's scope to tell them to get in line. In fact it's one of the very few things the Fed is supposed/allowed to do.

Actually it just missed being passed last year. If they had gone only on a simple majority it would have passed, but they put in the need for a supermajority and it failed due to that.

Here is a thought for all voters, if the dems could do this to this bill why could the reps not do it to the health care bill the dems rammed thru. JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top