Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

H&K USP Compact - Decocking

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by theflyguy, Oct 19, 2011.

1. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Hey guys just bought my first H&K .40 at the gun show this last weekend. I owned/shot a number of different manf. guns but never an H&K.

I read through the manual but still question....if I have a round in the chamber and I press the decock level....does the hammer cause the round to discharge? When I pressed it down the first time, the hammer "seemed" do fall fast enough to cause the round to go off.

All my other "carry" guns are loaded with one in the chamber....don't want to push the decocking and cause a round to go off.

Thanks,

2. swoop

swoop Milwaukie, Oregon Well-Known Member

If the firearm is working properly it will only fire if the trigger is pulled. Activating the decocker simply takes the handgun from SA to DA (4 to 5# trigger pull to 8 to 10# trigger pull) and should not cause a discharge as the hammer will fall short of the firing pin.

3. duginsky

duginsky Tualatin Active Member

I still point mine in a safe direction when decocking, and usually thumb the hammer down, too, when de-cocking. But no, it shouldn't fire when simply decocking. Shouldn't...

4. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

I don't own a HK but my Stoeger Cougar with Decocker does not allow the hammer to fall on the firing pin. It sounds very loud and made me a little jumpy at first. You can slowly move the decocker and see how it works. Of coarse keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. There is also a firing pin block de-activated with the pull of the trigger too. So if by chance the decocker failed it would prevent the hammer fall to fire a round unless the trigger was pulled also. It is nice when the decocker is activated on the Cougar you can chamber a round and the safety(decocker) stays on. Unlike some other weapons that the safety has to be off in order to chamber a round.
    Mike

5. BigDaddyDMD

BigDaddyDMD Albany, OR Member

Always point the weapon in a safe direction, but using the decocker with a round in the chamber and the weapon in battery will not cause a HK pistol with that option to fire.

6. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

It's totally safe and normal.

All decocker on HK models are like that, slams forward.

It may look like hammer is down all the way, but it's not. It's rested on half cocked. If you pull the trigger and hammer is down all the way, try to pull the hammer with the finger. You will feel the hammer engages half cocking after few MM.

USP is awesome handgun, enjoy! :thumbup:

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  7. iGun

iGun Pacific NW Active Member

The firing pin is protected and safe when you decock a USP. I would not get in the habit of interfering with the hammer when it falls to decock. Pointing it in a safe direction is prudent.

mjbskwim and (deleted member) like this.
  8. theflyguy

theflyguy Beaverton, Oregon Member

Thanks guys for the responses....just want to be on the safe side with the new member of the family.