Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

WTT OR H 4831

Reactions
Rating
100%
Good luck. Chances are it's still good, if it was stored properly. Can looks immaculate though. The can has got to be worth something. It's actually a cool piece of history. It is collectible, I'm sure..

DLS

Reactions
Rating
100%
That can is from the '60s to '70s.

Here's what they looked like in the '50s

s-l300.jpg

I use old powder like that all the time.

I just finished up a batch of 231 that was opened in 1963. I picked up the 2/3rds full commercial 50 pound can back in 1977. I've used it for my .45ACP bullseye softball load since then. It shoots the same today as back when I first worked up the load. Storage is the key.

If it smells good (not acrid) and is not showing red dusting and if it freely flows (not clumpy) it will be fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLM
Reactions
Rating
100%
I use very old H4831 a lot. It works great with no issues that I've ever run into. If that powder was stored right, it'll go bang every time. Fantastic powder. Mine is old WWII era powder that I bought for $5/lbs.

20190122_122840.jpg

Reactions
Rating
100%
I'd like to add I bought mine for a steal of a price. The guy who sold it to me didn't know what he had. Each pound is worth far more than just $5/ea.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Northwest Arsenal
    4.00 star(s)
    I have been there at least a couples times. We popped in today to see if the had a PS90. They...
    • CountryGent
  • Sunset Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy. I've done multiple private transfers over several years. Knowledgeable and thorough.
    • markebrit
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've done many transfers with these guys. They know their stuff, they're very approachable and...
    • Art_Vandelay
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    I've always felt comfortable at J&B, first time I ever went there I walked out with a new Glock...
    • Zapata47
  • Money Market Pawn Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    Maybe I'm biased since I live 5 minutes away, but Peter and his crew have always been friendly...
    • Zapata47

Staff online