JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I pretty much wont answer the door for anyone, even the police. They will kick it down if they want in bad enough. I live with 2 females and I am responsible to keep them safe. Anybody can be anything standing in your door way.

If I know you, I will very cautiously open the door, armed of course. Usually there will be a armed female 10 - 20 feet behind me as well. Of course if I am expecting company or when family comes over I am not as paranoid. Unexpected or odd hours, no thanks.

Sad but this is the " new world "...

I know ayoob is not liked by some, but I agree with him here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YD3zIA6vJkQ

I live on a somewhat busy street that gets hit by mormons & solicitors several times a year. It's so damn annoying. I don't want to have to put up some ugly sign that makes us seem unfriendly or anything but i've never quite known how to deal with it.

Interesting. Note the home invaders arrived at 6:20 am. So these guys were aiming specifically for an occupied home. Furthermore, in a multi-person household, some of their victims would still be asleep and difficult to isolate. Seems like a high level of risk, anybody know why they did a morning run like this?

I live on a somewhat busy street that gets hit by mormons & solicitors several times a year. It's so damn annoying. I don't want to have to put up some ugly sign that makes us seem unfriendly or anything but i've never quite known how to deal with it.

Put up a no solicitor sign. Many people do.

Answering the door:

Part of why I advocate carrying at all times, even at home.

24-7

i've never quite known how to deal with it.

You can do what a friend of mine used to. He had a plastic bag by his front door. In the bag he kept a cassock, in white not black, that had fake blood in splashes on it. There was also an old butcher's knife. He'd see JV or LDS through the peep-hole of the door, do a quick change, and then answer. I had the opportunity to see it happen once. I spoiled it laughing though.

You won't see Mormon Missionaries at 6:20 AM unless you have requested a service day.

Absolutely true. You can also look for the name tag. All missionaries will have a name tag on them...or at least, it has been my experience (as a stake missionary, way back in the dark ages & stuff)....If you see a "missionary" at 6:20AM, they ain't Mormon.

When we were on the farm, some guy came to the door wearing a black suit and carrying a teddy bear....weird to begin with. The wife answered the door with a diamondback in her hand and placed her foot down about 6 or 8 inches back and opened the door against her shoe so it couldnt be pushed open, which is just what he tried to do. He stuck his leg through the door to keep her from closing it. Our big old gentle dog became all teeth and took about a 6 oz steak off his lower leg and he fell back. She slammed the door shut hit the deadbolt and called the sheriffs office. She watched him hobble down the driveway and out onto the road and turned on the scanner. They picked him up still limping about a half mile away and ran him. He had a warrant and was hauled off. Never heard from the deputy about what the outcome was. That old dog had never even growled at anyone in her life, but something about him turned her into cujo on steroids. My wife was about 2 seconds from blowing the guys knee off when our dog went into action. She definitely had some good instincts.

Answer the door once in your boxers you will get on their Stay away from this house list

some of the most awesome people I've come across have been Mormon.

All the ones we know are very well prepped and firearm savy beyond most folks. They have been for a long time. Very self sufficient group.

Not to profile here at all, but those guys simply don't act like them. And I have never seen a black dude as a Mormon, and a quick search yields:

Most Mormons are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). The church has never kept official records on the race of its membership, so exact numbers of black members are unknown. Black people have been members of Mormon congregations since its foundation, but before 1978 its black membership was small.[citation needed] It has since grown, and in 1997, there were approximately 500,000 black members of the church (about 5% of the total membership), mostly in Africa, Brazil and the Caribbean.[1] Black membership has continued to grow substantially, especially in West Africa, where two temples have been built.[2] In the United States, 3% of members are black.[3]

Maybe this country boy has just lived out here too long, but as one mentioned before, if you are coming to my place, I will know before about it, and I know the sound of my family and friends vehicles, tires on the road, their footsteps, knock pattern and my dogs reaction to those sounds / sensory inputs as well. My dogs have a very different bark pattern and behavior if the person is unknown by scent to them.

Generally when someone knocks on my front door, and it is unexpected, I arm myself and walk out a side door (with an LED light if at night,) and flank them and ask their business. I first turn on the porch and yard lights if at night that have a high light level. I stand behind one of the lights. This immediately puts them in a defensive position, gives you control of the situation and forces them to make the next decision real fast on how far they think they can get. Most of the time they have no business with me that I am interested in and I tell them to leave now. That way I never open the front door and allow them even a chance of getting inside. If they were to try anything out there, then my wife or other family member will release the 2 dogs out the front door and it is pretty much all wrapped up at that time. If they do not understand what is going to happen if the dogs come out, they need to check their hearing. If you are using the right tone of voice and inflection, my dogs will be rather excited and ready to assist.

And the Mormon garb does not fool me for a minute. I am suspicious of EVERYONE unknown to me. At 6: 30 am, that level goes even higher.

Just a simple strategy we developed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top