JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The M4 or FN SLP are beautiful pieces. The best 'lawyer' shotgun would be whatever you could buy at Bi-Mart for $300 though.

I bought a used Remington 870 Express with a wooden stock and the standard 4-round magazine about 15 years ago for $100. Spent another $80 to stick an 18.5" barrel with a plain bead sight onto it, and dropped $5 on an Uncle Mikes elastic sleeve that fits on the stock and holds 5 extra shells. Other than that, the gun is factory original with no bells or whistles. You know what? If an intruder breaks into my house, my $185 plain-Jane 870 loaded with standard buckshot will kill them just as dead as any customized, hi-cap shottie with a bunch of "tactical" crapola bolted onto it, and without giving the prosecutor or a potential jury on evil black "assault weapon" to look at. IMHO it is a mistake to have a bunch of money tied up in a shotgun, it makes more sense from a prepping standpoint to invest in ammo or rifles.

I hear you.
No doubt the FN is aimed at the rapidly expanding 3-gun-shoot Mkt. FN is sinking Mucho-Denero into promoting it's 3 gun product line.
I have opted for the EBS 'look' for strictly practical reasons:
My EBS's PG butt stocks pack an additional 6 rounds for rapid reloads, it's a grab and go 1-piece unit and they are secured at various points around the property.
I wish mine were 3" chambered SG's I need all the reach I can get!
To your point that a self defense SG not need to be 'super fly' to get the job done I completely agree. One could say that if the SG is reliable enough to fire a full magazine (virtually any pump action) then it has probably served it's purpose well in the HD role, the police will confiscate it as evidence anyway!

Because 4 home invaders are going to possibly wreck your day

I get the whole more than two shots idea. But seriously, you think most home invaders are going to be willing to step forward over their two convulsing buddies with their chests caved in? Yes, more rounds available are always a good thing. But a double barrel in the hands of a skilled shooter is not something to be sneezed nor sneered at. A 12 ga. Will ...eff you up mang!

Brutus out.

of course one's zip-code must be taken into account, as well as one's life-style.
If your living a clean life, away from where the BGs operate and you live in a quite zip code then even that Flat Screen TV is not likely to generate a Home Invasion. Post SHTF, or an encroaching Social Justice environment (like South Africa) a mild mannered family man may be well tonsured packing a Gat at the dinner table and a 12 ga clipped under the counter!
Just like South Africa, today

At $1149 per copy for the FN-SLP, vs about $475 for a Mossberg 590, I will buy two Mossberg 590's, and a bunch of ammo. I think that is a much more "cost effective" option. Obviously, a semi-auto will function a wee bit faster than a pump, but a pump is a great deal less likely to jam up after it rolls around in the sand and dust.

I have owned Browning, Benelli, Remington, and Mossberg shotguns. Although I really liked my Benelli, for the money, I think the Mossberg 590 is very hard to beat as a true fighting shotgun.

I get the whole more than two shots idea. But seriously, you think most home invaders are going to be willing to step forward over their two convulsing buddies with their chests caved in? Yes, more rounds available are always a good thing. But a double barrel in the hands of a skilled shooter is not something to be sneezed nor sneered at. A 12 ga. Will ...eff you up mang!

Brutus out.

Realistically I can't say.. but I'd rather have it and not need it..

With all this talk about shotguns I decided to upgrade mine a wee bit more, no bolt ons, no sights, just trim and true the muzzle at 21" plus a heavy coat of paint. If I could afford it I would get Cerro-coat or chrome plate as the gun is the one that is hidden in an old oak tree away from the house

Benelli m4 a better gun for the money

I would agree that the M4 reigns supreme and is the best shotgun, but maybe not value-wise. If you can get an FN SLP tactical for $1k and an M4 (stock, many are optioned heavily) for $1.5k it is really a toss up when it comes to value.

Just my opinion, and I have practiced with both.

I would also take an FN over the M4 value wise.

For an auto/combat shotgun I can't see going wrong with either the FN or M4 at all. The M4 main advantage is it will cycle almost anything.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top