Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Guys, if you don't already have a really bad arse shottie..

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Blitzkrieg, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Please consider the FN SLP series.. I have one and it really is all that. Benelli, Franchi SPAS 12, Remington or pumps don't come close, and I have owned/still own or have shot all the the mentioned alternatives

"FN SLP: War Ready" by Nutnfancy - YouTube

2. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Oooh no! No scatter gun is worth that kind of money to me! Does look bad azz though!

3. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

The SLP is just a winchester model 1400/1500 with a synthetic stock and a slug barrel. I had one for a brief period, I picked it up for a low price, and then someone offered me twice what I paid so I sold it, still kinda regret that as I only put a few boxes of shells through it. I definitely liked it better than the 11/87, or 1100's I've shot out there. Personally I've never been too crazy about semi-auto shotguns, the major issue is reloading, tube mags just arn't as fast as magazines. Also, shotguns weigh too much (or at least the ammo does). But it does lay down a lot of punishment. Despite being a bit finicky I like this one better: [video=youtube;iX7vwivR6cE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX7vwivR6cE[/video]

4. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

You can change the magazine in the Vepr 12's in seconds. Was out knocking clays out of the sky few days back and it gets that done as well. Not as good as a full on over-under with a huge sight line, but better than I would have expected. Essentially an AK-47 in 12 ga. Amazing shotgun. They don't have the 20 round drums that the Saigas have, but there are aftermarket mags that go to 12 rounds. You can see mag changes at @ 2:08 or so in in this video. This guy hasn't found it yet, but there is a little button right by his trigger finger that he can hit to close the bolt on a full mag.

[video=youtube;lt6RF9NAVQc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt6RF9NAVQc[/video]

RRC firearms, a NW firearms sponsor, notes that they are getting some in and are taking pre-orders a few threads down. http://www.northwestfirearms.com/rrc-firearms/142167-molot-vepr-12-shotguns-now-available-free-shipping-mag.html

5. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I watched the vid last night. I taught small arms repair in the army. we used win. 1200's and their trigger groups constantly broke. I hope this permutation is a FAR better product.
    As for me I'll stick with a pump, reload times aren't that important to me as a shotgun is not my 'go to' but a situation specific tool

6. OHshoot!

OHshoot! Bellingham Member

My FN p-12 pump has been fabulous. Has some better features than the Winchester it was based on. I Have put a few hundred rounds through mine. Slugs shot out to 100 yards hit the gong every time. It is sleek and fast. This pump is made to last.
    Versatile New 12 Gauge P-12 Pump Shotgun from FNH

7. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

"War ready" with the addition of a lacking magazine/barrel band = not "war ready".

And since when did the fools start loading shotguns that way?
    I'd suggest keeping the weapon in a firing grip with the muzzle pointing downrange/at the threat and loading with the off hand.. you can send lead downrange instantly right after tossing one in the loading/ejection port and while stoking the magazine.

Rotty and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Blitzkrieg

If you could see one professionally unleashed at rioters you would quickly change yer mind

I have 4 Mossberg 500s, a SPAS 12, have shot most modern shotties and the FN is far superior IMO. Up close only a full auto 7.62 NATO belt fed machine gun comes close for the initial encounter

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Blitzkrieg

Barrel band not really required.. the FN has a shrouded magazine tube. I would like a band and heat shield but even more a good bayonet lug

10. Blitzkrieg

The 12 GA shotgun is unsurpassed in home defense. The WW1 Germans wanted them banned they were so horrified at their effect

11. Blitzkrieg

The FN is a superior product to the Winchester, as reflected in the price and the reviews

12. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

I run a Saiga 12, and she works just fine thanks.

13. Blitzkrieg

The only problems (I do like AKs) are the plastic shell crunching issue and the huge protruding mag.., the Tromix customs sure are cool., though

14. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

That's great, I really liked the winchester. However I'm still of the opinion that a tube magazine is like a Ferrari with offroad tires on it, in that it's totally bad ***, but completely fails at road handling. Shotguns sure can lay down a lot of punishment, say 9 pellet 00 buck, that's 81 individual projectiles... all gone in 2 seconds, with a 5-10 second reload.

I mean, if you just need a shotgun in combat, carry it. I think this is a better solution: Ten-X Ammunition Home Page

15. Blitzkrieg

As Nut N Fancy says, the 12 GA shotgun simply requires excellent reloading skills. One of the must have accessories for anti riot/chimpout use is a 50 round bandoleer. However, nothing less than 7.62 NATO softpoints will put them down as sure as 00 buck, and few weapons can bring the fear like a good 12 GA

I would never even consider that single shot thingie compared to 9 rds of 00 buck or my brutal 662 handloaded slugs

Asavage270 and (deleted member) like this.
  16. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

They are all too much $$$ for wallet at this time. But look like they would fun to shoot,

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  17. timac

timac Loading Magazines! Well-Known Member

This issue (crunching) comes from people running low brass, the Saiga needs high brass. I shoot high brass only in my Saiga's, never an issue.

18. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

What he said!

19. Cryogaijin

Cryogaijin Portland New Member

Saiga 12 with 12 and 20 round drums works fine for me.

20. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

I have no high brass. Never run any high brass in mine. Only time I ever had an issue was running some under power rounds. As long as they are 1 1/8 oz rounds never had a problem. Mine is a Tromix though..............