JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
amazing how the laws, that worked as intended, in this instance, probably arent enough, and you're all right- more laws will come as a result.

the law says you cannot buy a bunch of guns and sell them to felons. it also says you cannot buy a bunch of guns and sell them for profit, without an FFL. on both counts, he's been busted. is that not how the law is supposed to work?

of course not- the law that enables investigators to bust these guys, and does, was actually intended to be just a feel-good measure.. and the fact that the law is actually being used is not evidence that it's working, but is evidence that we need MORE laws.

excellent.

Ok...I'm gonna leave now. I can see myself getting banned. But I thought we should know, and be prepared for Gwegwar and her minions to have a field day with this.

Why would you be banned? You are probably right about the libtard politicians pushing for more laws, they always do. Just sayin'.. from the sound of the article, this guy deserves what he got.

Why would you be banned? You are probably right about the libtard politicians pushing for more laws, they always do. Just sayin'.. from the sound of the article, this guy deserves what he got.

I don't play well in political discussions. :)

I've learned that too many people piss me off, and its hard to hold my tongue.

This topic will be discussed from different angles, and I only see one.

Trust me, its safer this way.

"Hard sayin not knowin" - If he KNEW he was selling to felon, fry him. If he made sales in good faith, different story. You're right about this probably turnin into ammunition for the gun grabbers.

"Hard sayin not knowin" - If he KNEW he was selling to felon, fry him. If he made sales in good faith, different story. You're right about this probably turnin into ammunition for the gun grabbers.

if he knew he was selling to a felon, then the law's already gonna fry him.

personally, i hold to the belief that basically all gun laws are unconstitutional to begin with, including laws prohibiting "felons" (nice little stigmatism) from owning guns, as though any free man can be prohibited from defending his life, family, and property, simply because he made a mistake at some point in his life.

this guy sounds like an idiot, and a criminal in general. fear not- he'll go down. because the laws we have have worked as intended. new laws are not needed.

Just great. I think we all know what is going to be coming out of Oly. No more private sales at gun shows without a NICS check. :angry:

Regarding the monthly Puyallup (and Monroe) show, that is already the case...no NICS check, no sale. I believe that the news article is factually incorrect.

How is prosecuting people who sell guns to convicted felons not a good thing? Am I missing something? Don't they run background checks at gun shows?

You sell a car privately to another person.
He gets drunk and drives over a bunch of kids waiting at a bus stop.
Turns out he had past convictions for drunk driving.
You're going to jail for selling him the car.

The bottom line is that it makes a person responsible for what another person does. If the guy is a genuine dealer, and he's routinely helping people bypass the law, that's a horse of another color. But a successful prosecution of something like this potentially enables the average Joe (like me) to do hard time for selling a gun to someone without a background check (which is perfectly legal in WA).

How is prosecuting people who sell guns to convicted felons not a good thing? Am I missing something? Don't they run background checks at gun shows?

Hmmm, reading Christopher Montfort's history doesn't indicate that he WAS a felon. In fact, he had NO criminal history.

I'm all for felons not being armed but we're not able to run a Pre-Crime division just yet. Montfort would have passed a background check.

Point of fact: he's still NOT a felon. Now he's still merely "accused" but has yet to be convicted.

Looks like a sting operation unconnected to the actual shootings by Monfort.

Federal prosecutors said David Devenny knew that both purchasers — a felon and a person with a domestic-violence conviction — were prohibited from owning weapons when he made the sales. Both purchasers were working with law enforcement officials at the time of the sales in February and November, the U.S. Attorney's Office said.

Of course, the prosecution showing how Devenny 'knew' the purchasers were felons/DV is going to be interesting.

From <broken link removed>

Police recovered 42 guns and $32,000 in cash, and an investigation into Devenny's sales has shown that he did not keep a record, nor did he do background checks for guns he bought and sold at gun shows.

I disagree, and I would bet the friends and family of the slain officer would as well.

you think the activation of a law as intended necessitates the need for a new law?

what exactly do you disagree about? and do you think that if this guy didn't buy that gun from that guy that it would have made a difference? and do you think that more laws, which criminals don't abide by, would have prevented it?

you cant prevent crime. the only thing laws do is prevent freedom. we constrict ourselves more and more, but the criminals are unaffected. why?

Police recovered 42 guns and $32,000 in cash, and an investigation into Devenny's sales has shown that he did not keep a record, nor did he do background checks for guns he bought and sold at gun shows.

Just were is the crime here??? not an ffl not required to keep records. no background checks are required at gun shows. so now it must be a crime to have 42 guns and 32,000 dollars.

They feds and the state will have to prove he knew they were felons before he sold them guns. That is going to be a very heavy burden of evidence. He may be charged with something but its unlikely he will be convicted. A law school dropout could get him off on the flimsy evidence they will have to work with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top