Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Guy takes 5 shots before being killed by a headshot.

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Ttuck, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Ttuck

Ttuck Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

2. Classic

Classic Federal Way WA Well-Known Member

Can you say PCP? I'm thinking that's the only way a guy could take 4 shots from a 45 and not be phased...

luke23, accessbob, F2CMaDMaXX and 7 others like this.
  3. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Crazy, I would rather have my .380 that I have plenty of practice with and can get shots off a whole lot quicker than a large caliber gun. quality hollow point defense .380, 9, 40, 45, .357 would all do the same thing in a headshot situation but I would feel better with the one I can rapid fire and stay on target twice as fast as a large caliber with large recoil. I know the 1911 guys and such hate the idea that shot placement is more important than your big bullet though.

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Zombie

5. Jerry

Jerry Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I know a guy who was shot 5 times with a .44 mag at CLOSE range and lived. No vital organs were taken out. No head shot, thank God. Even so, it took him a long, long time to recover.

6. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Here we go again. The my cannon size caliber is better than your BB size caliber. Proper shot placement makes you very dead with either one.

Tbucket, simon99, Nomad1911 and 11 others like this.
  7. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

I think what the OP Really meant was that a head shot (using any caliber) should be the first point of aim. Call me crazy but, ammo ain't cheap anymore...

8. 40calruler

I do not think there is any way to argue against shot placement in this thread. It is what ended it and seems was the only way to stop the guy.
    reading the story nobody can conclude that the head shot was only effective based on caliber...it was effective because it was a head shot with a gun.

PopsBdog, BoonDocks36, GOG and 3 others like this.
  9. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

I'll just chime in when this debate comes up that I once saw a Taliban running around with an entire arm blown off and had taken multiple shots COM with 5.56 rounds at close range. He was like the Energizer bunny with an AK still on full rock and roll in his good hand. He probably lived another 5 minutes.....

10. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

... impressive ... trained by John Rambo no doubt.

11. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

So was this a .45 ACP or a .45 Long Colt or .45 Gap and what kinda bullets were used?

12. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

no more caliber wars please. ;)

bath-salts-huskies.jpg

13. Otter

Otter Oregon - mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Most people under duress could not make a head shot. I would still opt for the larger caliber and aim for the body. Remember the final gun battle in Unforgiven? Military and law enforcement people I've had this discussion with say that scene is pretty close to what goes down in a gun fight.

206thsense and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you can't make a head shot in a self defense situation get closer.

Caveman Jim and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Can you say hardball? Slip right through. Same with the .44 mag mentioned also.. most all of them (HP/JSP's) are hell for stout constructed and need to hit a griz shoulder bone for any hope of opening up at all.

16. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

The best part is that a legally armed citizen saved the officers life. Not surprised that it was not published earlier. With modern ammo, most will do the job if you do yours with shot placement. No ammo will work with the spray and pray that occurs in most LEO involved shootings. I carry a 45 because I shoot it better than 9mm. You should carry whatever you shoot best.

Nutty4Guns, tac, BoonDocks36 and 21 others like this.
  17. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

It's more common than you think. Handguns (common defensive calibers) are weak

18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Those your pups? :D

19. 40calruler

I realize it depends on the situation but in this sort of event the guy was paying no attention the the 45 blasts into his torso so I agree that if you cannot hit that shot move up to 5 feet if you must. Officer was guiding a funeral for gods sake. I am sure he was completely caught off guard by this altercation and the man saved his life no matter what as a guy on top of you in that state is not going to leave you alone after a knock out punch he is going to beat you to death. The man stepped up and did what all trainers say by shooting center mass...did not work so he had to take the head shot. Can't say i would not have done exactly the same thing as you expect a guy to go down with 4 shots...5 with the officers. I am probably a worse shot than a lot of you folks but I find the little orange ballistic jumping balls, squares that are under 15 bucks to be my best friend to train to shoot moving targets. You shoot it and it flips up, right, you never know which way it goes and if you get to the point you can keep that thing moving through a full mag it is a good training method for a cheap price...however it says it can take large caliber and my .357 destroyed my first one so do not trust the label that your 45 will not destroy it after a couple outings. Just a suggestion as a lot of people do not even know about them and they are cheap, fun, and awesome target training. they have them at Bi Mart and I am sure fishermans as well. I bought the smaller size one and if you can keep that little larger than a softball size thing flipping and up in the air you are a bad A&$. The others are about the size of a head.

20. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

My son related similar type things. That will happen when they are so jacked out of their minds on crank.