JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Crazy, I would rather have my .380 that I have plenty of practice with and can get shots off a whole lot quicker than a large caliber gun. quality hollow point defense .380, 9, 40, 45, .357 would all do the same thing in a headshot situation but I would feel better with the one I can rapid fire and stay on target twice as fast as a large caliber with large recoil. I know the 1911 guys and such hate the idea that shot placement is more important than your big bullet though.

I know a guy who was shot 5 times with a .44 mag at CLOSE range and lived. No vital organs were taken out. No head shot, thank God. Even so, it took him a long, long time to recover.

Here we go again. The my cannon size caliber is better than your BB size caliber. Proper shot placement makes you very dead with either one.

I do not think there is any way to argue against shot placement in this thread. It is what ended it and seems was the only way to stop the guy.
reading the story nobody can conclude that the head shot was only effective based on caliber...it was effective because it was a head shot with a gun.

I'll just chime in when this debate comes up that I once saw a Taliban running around with an entire arm blown off and had taken multiple shots COM with 5.56 rounds at close range. He was like the Energizer bunny with an AK still on full rock and roll in his good hand. He probably lived another 5 minutes.....

no more caliber wars please. ;)

bath-salts-huskies.jpg

Most people under duress could not make a head shot. I would still opt for the larger caliber and aim for the body. Remember the final gun battle in Unforgiven? Military and law enforcement people I've had this discussion with say that scene is pretty close to what goes down in a gun fight.

Can you say PCP? I'm thinking that's the only way a guy could take 4 shots from a 45 and not be phased...

Can you say hardball? Slip right through. Same with the .44 mag mentioned also.. most all of them (HP/JSP's) are hell for stout constructed and need to hit a griz shoulder bone for any hope of opening up at all.

The best part is that a legally armed citizen saved the officers life. Not surprised that it was not published earlier. With modern ammo, most will do the job if you do yours with shot placement. No ammo will work with the spray and pray that occurs in most LEO involved shootings. I carry a 45 because I shoot it better than 9mm. You should carry whatever you shoot best.

If you can't make a head shot in a self defense situation get closer.

I realize it depends on the situation but in this sort of event the guy was paying no attention the the 45 blasts into his torso so I agree that if you cannot hit that shot move up to 5 feet if you must. Officer was guiding a funeral for gods sake. I am sure he was completely caught off guard by this altercation and the man saved his life no matter what as a guy on top of you in that state is not going to leave you alone after a knock out punch he is going to beat you to death. The man stepped up and did what all trainers say by shooting center mass...did not work so he had to take the head shot. Can't say i would not have done exactly the same thing as you expect a guy to go down with 4 shots...5 with the officers. I am probably a worse shot than a lot of you folks but I find the little orange ballistic jumping balls, squares that are under 15 bucks to be my best friend to train to shoot moving targets. You shoot it and it flips up, right, you never know which way it goes and if you get to the point you can keep that thing moving through a full mag it is a good training method for a cheap price...however it says it can take large caliber and my .357 destroyed my first one so do not trust the label that your 45 will not destroy it after a couple outings. Just a suggestion as a lot of people do not even know about them and they are cheap, fun, and awesome target training. they have them at Bi Mart and I am sure fishermans as well. I bought the smaller size one and if you can keep that little larger than a softball size thing flipping and up in the air you are a bad A&$. The others are about the size of a head.

I'll just chime in when this debate comes up that I once saw a Taliban running around with an entire arm blown off and had taken multiple shots COM with 5.56 rounds at close range. He was like the Energizer bunny with an AK still on full rock and roll in his good hand. He probably lived another 5 minutes.....

My son related similar type things. That will happen when they are so jacked out of their minds on crank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top