JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What a jack...who kills cougar and deer without getting a tag...those aren't hard to get. Not saying the sheep was justified but wow...not a smart person

Sweet Home man guilty of wildlife crimes | OregonLive.com

9480673-small.jpg

Enoch Ray Robertson, 30, can never hunt again, must pay $16,910 in fines, spend six days in jail, 40 months on probation and perform 10 days of community service, according to a sentence delivered in Linn County Circuit Court last week. Plus, he won't be getting back the carcass of a bighorn sheep authorities believe he illegally killed, or the two rifles, antlers and meat seized during a search of his Sweet Home property.

That's the price that comes with five counts of wildlife crimes.

Oregon State Police Fish & Wildlife Division troopers, who investigated the case, said the bighorn sheep was about 7; it's believed the animal was killed in May 2010 near Richland in northeastern Oregon. Investigators also found two blacktail deer killed out of season in spring 2010, and a cougar killed without a cougar-hunting tag in fall 2009.

I wonder if he was narked out by a friend or if he was caught in action or what? Wondering how they knew to search his home. I'm not sure its standard procedure to search someone's house after being caught poaching out in the bush. I wouldn't know though. I heard they can seize anything related to the poach including your vehicle. So if you owed 20K on that nice new Ford truck you would be losing 20K per say. Glad they caught this guy though. He makes hunters look bad. Too bad because he probably knows how to hunt too. Some people just have no respect for the law

I found more info on this...

<broken link removed>

OSP: Sweet home man poached bighorn sheep, bobcat, deer
July 29, 2010 10:34 AM

FROM OSP
SWEET HOME, Ore. -- Oregon State Police arrested a Sweet Home-area man on charges related to the death of a bighorn sheep in eastern Oregon. Wildlife agents are trying to find out how the bighorn sheep died and how the suspect came into possession of a bobcat hide.

The investigation began three weeks ago after OSP Fish & Wildlife Division troopers in eastern Oregon got a report that a bighorn sheep was killed in late May in the Snake River area near Richland. The investigation led OSP troopers to serve a search warrant July 28 at a Sweet Home-area address and the subsequent arrest of Enoch Ray Robertson, 30, after troopers seized evidence including bighorn sheep horns and a bobcat hide.

Robertson was transported to the Linn County Jail where Senior Trooper James Halsey cited and released him on charges of unlawful possession of bighorn sheep, unlawful possession of a bobcat hide, taking a blacktail doe deer in closed season and possession of less than an ounce of marijuana.

Bighorn405.jpg

Im not much of a cursing man,, so I'll leave it to you to imagine what I would like to say about this worthless waist of space. Thrill killers like this are the boil on the behind of us all. You can be sure this wasn't his first time. A tip of the hat to OSP for getting this trash off our mountains,,,,, for now. I do love the angry look on his mug though!

Wow, I used to live in the itty bitty town of Richland, Or.

I hope those 6 days in jail are filled with romance, soft lights and Bubba in the semi-private corner cell. I hope he never has guns again too.

losing his right to hunt doesn't mean he won't hunt( he will just have to get another firearm)
How true - kind of like multiple DUII offenders. I know a guy who got something like 18 + DUII arrests. He would buy cheap cars and drive them until the tags expired and then buy another - but now he is doing 20 yeas in OSCI.

Thrill killers like this are the boil on the behind of us all. You can be sure this wasn't his first time.

Thats the key right there.

My Dads family is from WV. Its not poaching if you have to feed your family, its survival- and nobody holds any disdain for that.

This wasnt a need, it was the thrill of the hunt/kill. The only way to insure he doesnt do this again is remove his hands. Or put him away for a long time. Whichever you prefer.

losing his right to hunt doesn't mean he won't hunt( he will just have to get another firearm)..... just like drunk drivers that lose their drivers license still drive their car.

+1 about got off easy

True....however, it will make it a little easier for Law enforcement officers to catch him in the act, should he decide to poach in the future.

...and I agree, he got off easy. i would have liked to have seen more jail time.

losing his right to hunt doesn't mean he won't hunt( he will just have to get another firearm)..... just like drunk drivers that lose their drivers license still drive their car.

+1 about got off easy

He got off easy and will hunt again. I'm wondering if he's poached some other animals and not gotten caught. Probably depends if he kept parts of them.

I understand what the guy did was wrong, still I have a hard time working up much outrage.
Maybe if I knew him or more details of his actions I might get upset, but I can understand some situations that might lead to these type of actions.

The point of hunting regulations and seasons is to prevent species extinction.. when persons decide on their own to play outside those rules without extreme cause (like being temporarily stranded in the wilderness) it harms the species and endangers the activities of true sportsmen and women. Light punishment which this guy received is encouragement to continue his ways

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top