JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I read another post in the "Off Topic" section that was similar to this incident but had a different outcome. Honest to God this happened yesterday. My wife and I were heading back from Seattle and dropped in at the Ikea in Renton Wa for the sole purpose of grabbing lunch. It was obviously her idea because for me this is akin to a trip through Hell to grab a cheeseburger. After perusing the parking lots for a spot to park my car I started to question the effect of the all these cars on the health of our planet and determined that if an atomic bomb landed on the parking lot at that very moment the hole in the Ozone would miraculously close....and it would put a smile on my face as a parking spot would suddenly become available.
We finally found a parking spot only 4 miles away a made a bee line for the gates of Hell, er, I mean the store entrance. Of course all those car were carrying people. I didn't realize they were all clown cars but judging from the number of people in the store, each super sub compact eco friendly car in the parking was designed to carry at least 12 people. After spending three days in Seattle checking out less crowded venues like Pike Place on a Saturday afternoon during a three day weekend, this was a little overwhelming.
We first passed the kiddy area where regretful parents drop their kids off so they can spend the poor child's college fund on cheap furniture. First thought was no way would I allow some stranger to supervise my child while he crawled around on plastic toys covered in piss and play in a ball room where could kids could anonymously unload their diapers, hidden from view buried 3 feet deep in plastic orbs. The smell of sour milk, candy, and bubblegumty diapers filled my nose but brought back fond memories of my childhood. We found a map of the store. Great. The problem problem that I was never invited to join MENSA due to my ineptness at math and horrible English skills so reading this map was completely pointless. Only 2 floors of zig zagging through fat ladies, old people, and suburban mom's who were too hung over to realize they could have ditched their kids in the ball room. Oh yeah, besides my wife really wanting meat balls (how's that diet going honey?) she failed to mention that she also wanted to purchase some of the cheap plastic crap this Swedish Wal-Mart was peddling.
After 3 hours of dodging the dumb founded and starting to suffer from hypoglycemic shock we made it to the food line. All sorts of dried out pastries, bad fish and meatballs out of a bag awaited us. This made my mouth water. Winding our way through the line was going surprisingly smooth. I was loading up my my tray and looking forward to a nutritious meal when I noticed the guy, all by himself in line behind me. His head was shaved, his face was not. He stocky and wearing a black leather jacket. He was not carrying a food tray like the rest of us. He had his hands shoved in his pocket and his face was expressionless. This immediately put me on edge. He was a rough looking dude, obviously out of place. He looked like he belonged more in the club house of the Gypsy Jokers than in this play house of soccer moms. I re-positioned myself so that my wife was now walking through the line in front of me and re-positioned myself so that I could keep an eye on him and the food in front of me at the same time. I waited for him to grab any sort of food but he remained facing forward not doing anything but following us through the line. I pulled my wallet out at the check out, pulled out a twenty and quickly tucked my wallet back in my front pocket. I was worried because this guy saw my wad of cash. Took a few steps forward to the fill up my fountain cup when I heard the guy finally spoke. He turned to the cashier and said "The guy back there gave me 5 extra meat balls. I came back to pay for them". This guy's action at that moment completely changed my mood. I wish there were more Ikea shoppers like him.

Good lesson in judging others prematurely.
It's like women...they all think I'm some sort of magical prince at first.
Then they get to know me and find out, that I really am...lol :)

At the time I had no idea how much I would actually use the speed reading class I took in high school. But here I am a satisfied customer. GOOD grief.

I'm definitely not a big fan of being dragged around a crowded place I don't want to be either. That might have put you a little more on edge. But good point by Redcap, it's good to know your biases sometimes and try to adjust accordingly when you learn about them.

Just because some of us look like scumbags doesn't necessarily mean we are.
10-4 Redcap.

Woodsman, cynicism dripping with that high-powered judgemental pre-ejaculation of seemingly every walk of life on the planet? I love this rant. Before I got on and read this, I just finished shaving my head and not my face. After reading this, I called my buddy C L (who IS a Joker, San Jose Chapter) and his wife (soccer mom, HOT, NOT fat or hung-over), mentioned your rant, shared a laugh as we agreed we both hate IKEA for all the same reasons as mentioned...and agreed we enjoy making people like you nervous of people like us...

Clownbuster, don't take it personally. My old man did a lot of chrome on a lot of bikes in L.A back in the day. But by the time I was around he was running more with the Alky Angels than the Hells Angels. I grew up around bikers, rednecks, aging hippies, drunks and degenerates. I distrust a guy in a suit and tie way more than a guy in a black leather jacket

Just because some of us look like scumbags doesn't necessarily mean we are.
Very true. Perceptions are often wrong.

I get accused of being many things based on my long hair among other things. I'm neither hippy or scumbag although some people think I'm both.

Probably the best Chef, I ever worked with, had rode with the Gypsy Jokers.
He treated his restaurant crew with respect and watched out for you as long as you returned the respect; which wasn't hard to do.

No, not at all, I was genuine when I said I loved the rant, suffering from the same cynicism as yourself, quick with a dose of judgement and we are certainly in alignment on our views on IKEA. Cheers, Woodsman, and keep more of these rants coming. :drink:

Clownbuster, don't take it personally. My old man did a lot of chrome on a lot of bikes in L.A back in the day. But by the time I was around he was running more with the Alky Angels than the Hells Angels. I grew up around bikers, rednecks, aging hippies, drunks and degenerates. I distrust a guy in a suit and tie way more than a guy in a black leather jacket

I have to laugh. The silly minor crap that people get all worked up over in the here and now. Just wait. Tik Tok. There will be more serious things to worry about soon. Like starvation, cruel death, rape gangs, that sort of thing.

An acquaintance of mine is a paranoid busy body like this. His is now banned from Fred Meyers in Longview by management for following 'suspicious people' around the store. LOL!!!! Go Fred Meyers! He is really bent out of shape that he is literally banned from shopping there now.

Buying that particle board junk is easy, try returning an item.
They count every little piece, and I mean every screw, nut, bracket, everything.
Takes forever. Never again.

One of the best things about moving out of the Puget Sound area is that I will never have to go to the Renton IKEA again. Or any IKEA.

"...walking through Hell to get a cheeseburger."

"Swedish Walmart"

Instant classics.

Oh, and as a class, some of the most decent and straightforward folks I have ever known have been bikers.

I have to laugh. The silly minor crap that people get all worked up over in the here and now. Just wait. Tik Tok. There will be more serious things to worry about soon. Like starvation, cruel death, rape gangs, that sort of thing.

An acquaintance of mine is a paranoid busy body like this. His is now banned from Fred Meyers in Longview by management for following 'suspicious people' around the store. LOL!!!! Go Fred Meyers! He is really bent out of shape that he is literally banned from shopping there now.

the time very neer dept home land waist of money has purchased 1.8billion rounds of ammo what do they need that many rds for other that riots in the street and hungar when the dollar implodes

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top