Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Gunvault Nano Vault

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 9mmMike, Jul 10, 2011.

1. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

Bought one of these at Fishermans a few weeks ago, and it has worked out well for me. I have to enter secured Federal buildings semi frequently, as well as a paranoid Dr. Office, and really think this product fits my need to secure the weapon in my Car for an hour or so. Some one would have to have a Bolt Cutter with them to remove the NanoVault and even then, would probably damage the gun pretty badly when trying to get the Vault itself open at a later time. Also use it for storing Wallet, Phone , etc.... when I leave them in the car, but my intention when buying it was for Gun storage. Bought the smallest version and it works Great for my PM9 or a J-Frame. They offer 2 or 3 sizes of this product.

Just my opinion, and yours may Vary.

2. Ought Six

Ought Six Snoqualmie Valley area Active Member

I was looking at one of these at Survival Guns in Bellevue, Washington on Friday. I almost bought it; $35 for the largest size, which is about the size of your average hardcover book. I have a metal storage locker in the back of my SUV, but having a safe under the front seat that I can just pull out and open would be pretty handy. And since it has a cable similar to a laptop cable lock, you can use it with a rental car or in a friend's car. I might just have to go back and buy it.

3. Webfeet

Webfeet Vancouver, Wa Member

Has anyone used one of these for securing a weapon while traveling by air? I have heard they are ok'd by the TSA, but was wondering how they hold up to baggage handlers, etc...

4. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

I have not used for travelling, but I believe you cannot have it locked in your luggage, but I may be wrong. It will definitely hold up to your bags being thrown around etc.... And if it's legal to lock it (again, I am not sure on the current policies) it will hold up to them trying toi steal the weapon for sure. Well, anything is possible bvut would be a major deterrent.

5. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

I have used these before and flew without issue. I had them locked and then placed within my suitcase (had 2).

9mmMike and (deleted member) like this.
  6. R-Rizzo

R-Rizzo NW Oregon Member

I haven't flown with a firearm... But IIRC... You are required to declare the firearm in your checked luggage and it also required to be in a separate locked container within the checked luggage.

7. rayd8

rayd8 Formerly Portland, now Alabama! Member

Correct...it must be in a locked container either by itself or in your checked bag. More info here:

TSA: Traveling with Special Items

And you should probably check with your specific airline to make sure they don't have any *special* rules. I've flown with checked firearms on just about every domestic carrier without problem (rifle and pistol).

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Yes. Check the airline's rules. I just have a large hard locked case that works for all airlines. Their rules vary for ammunition too.

9. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

I bought one... And it's still off gassing after a month in my truck. It frankly stinks like bad petroleum product. Kinda' sickening. Ugh.

10. drew

Is it the foam in it that stinks? If so it needs a cleaning. Common problem with these small cases.

11. FarmerTed1971

FarmerTed1971 Portland, Oregon, United States Well-Known Member

Perhaps. What would you suggest to clean it with?

12. drew

A couple treatments of Simple Green worked. Let it sit in cleaner for a little while, wring, rinse and repeat till it's bearable. It still has a slight smell buts it not bad. I imagine other cleaners would work too. I saw this suggested somewhere and it worked for me.