JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for some help in getting a part blued and would appreciate any recommendations in the PDX Metro area. I have a Norinco SKS bolt cover that I would like to match with the receiver/barrel bluing color.

Thanks,

JP9

I'm looking for some help in getting a part blued and would appreciate any recommendations in the PDX Metro area. I have a Norinco SKS bolt cover that I would like to match with the receiver/barrel bluing color.

Thanks,

JP9
I've used this to clean up C&R bluing many times and it works well.

I've used this to clean up C&R bluing many times and it works well.

I looked into doing this with the Brownells Oxpho-Blue and some are reporting doing complete rifles with great results. My only concern is the longevity of the bluing. I'm told it's many times better than the old Birchwood Casey I used to use as a kid. I just think that a skilled gunsmith with bluing can match this up fairly well as the bluing color is very similar to other rifles I have from different manufacturers.

I looked into doing this with the Brownells Oxpho-Blue and some are reporting doing complete rifles with great results. My only concern is the longevity of the bluing. I'm told it's many times better than the old Birchwood Casey I used to use as a kid. I just think that a skilled gunsmith with bluing can match this up fairly well as the bluing color is very similar to other rifles I have from different manufacturers.
Do you have a collector SKS, like a Russian or Yugo? For pro stuff I do agree with the guys above.

For such a small project, I recommend using a product called Laurel Mountain Barrel Brown.
It is easy to apply, you don't have to worry about de-greasing the part before applying the solution and you can keep applying it till you get the desired color.
You don't even have to be that careful putting the solution on the parts like some of the other instant bluing chemicals.
You do have to de-grease the 0000 steel wool you use to remove the rust. Steel wool is covered in light oil to keep it from rusting.
I used some acetone for that. It was fun to do and Brownwells sells it, or you can order it directly from the company that makes it.
It's fairly cheap, easy to use and you can do it inside, as it doesn't smell.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top