JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Ruger Super Redhawk. And a Glock 20 that I'd like looked at to get an idea of their general condition and make sure everything is Kosher.

Also, what what would be a fair price / gun for an inspection like that?

Cheers!

I can't speak for the wheel gun, which I guess sometimes blow up?

But that Glock isn't going to give you any trouble..... Contrary to what Warren over at The Gun R00m will tell you, Glocks do NOT blow up.

But that Glock isn't going to give you any trouble..... Contrary to what Warren over at The Gun R00m will tell you, Glocks do NOT blow up.

Well, early Glocks were known for having poorly supported chambers, which made them more vulnerable to failure when shooting badly overpressure ammo.

This is what the most typical failure looked like. You can see how it blew out where the side of the case was not supported.

glock45acp-unsup.jpg

Glock has since changed their barrels so that the chambers are better supported. People with older guns can simply swap out their barrels with newer ones from Glock or from 3rd party manufacturers.

I ended up replacing the original Glock barrel on my 17 with one made by Stormlake Barrels, which has a fully supported chamber.

And I later bought a S&W M&P, instead of another Glock. They also have much better supported chambers:

chamber.jpg

I witnessed a Glock go kaboom. My understanding is that was mainly a problem with reloaded ammo that had too high of pressure. That was the case in the one I saw get destroyed.
Revelation Arms does very good work.

I witnessed a Glock go kaboom. My understanding is that was mainly a problem with reloaded ammo that had too high of pressure. That was the case in the one I saw get destroyed.
Revelation Arms does very good work.

Correct. The unsupported chamber only becomes an issue when using over pressure ammo. It makes the gun more prone to failure with such bad ammo.

I have a Ruger Super Redhawk. And a Glock 20 that I'd like looked at to get an idea of their general condition and make sure everything is Kosher.

Also, what what would be a fair price / gun for an inspection like that?

Cheers!
Can I ask why you would have someone inspect the guns instead of doing it yourself?
Just wondering
The 2 guns mentioned ,I would never worry about either having a problem.
Glocks NEVER break without help and the ruger SBHs get passed around more than shot cause people don't really like to shoot them after 1 box

I understand it was mostly a problem with the .40s

Only because .40 S&W ammo is normally loaded to much higher pressures than 9mm and .45 ACP. So it is thus easier to make a mistake and get overpressure ammo in .40 S&W

One of the reasons why I got a S&W M&P when I went shopping for a .40 S&W is that that it has absolutely 100% full support on the side of the chamber in the barrel.

Here is a comparison photo showing a round in the barrel of my M&P 40. Note how no portion of the side of the case is visible.

M&P_barrel.jpg

I went to Revelation - lol it's just a couple of blocks from me. Will be getting it back on Friday.

I'm moving up to hotter loads for the SRH, and want o make sure everything is in good order first. And I think that a 2nd pair of eyes on it with way more experience than I have is a good move.

I'm not sure I'll bring the Glock in yet, I'm not worried about it blowing up with my loads or anything. But sometimes I'm having problems with the slide not staying open after the last round is fired. Even after replacing the hold open mechanism and trying some new magazines it still happens sometimes.

The Gen 3 barrels seems to have ample material even though the cartridge is not 100% supported at the ramp. The Lonewolf aftermarket on the right even more. That's what I use for extra hot loads

I can't speak for the wheel gun, which I guess sometimes blow up?

Words right outa my mouf!. "just watch the good, bad and the ugly" again. And spin it hard.

Thanks for input and info everybody. Got it back last week cleaned and inspected and w.o. remarks.

Happily fired today with new hotter loads. And I found a new bff, H110!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top