JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In need of gunsmith that can rebarrel a Remington 788 in 222 in Klamath Falls Medford or Bend
Wait,... Why re-barrel it? What chambering are you looking to go to?
The reason I ask, is because 788 bolts can be an absolute b*tch to find for any case-head size.
So unless you're looking to go with .204 Ruger or .17 Rem or maybe a wildcat based on a version of the .222 case, (.222, .222Rem Mag, .223) you may end up out in the cold looking for a bolt.

I'm thinking the throat is shot out. Will not group better then 1.5" even after bedding.
Do you handload? Most eroded throats can be compensated for by adjusting seating depths out a little farther, or going with a longer/heavier bullet.
Or,...
You could just have the chamber reamed to .223?

Took it to a local smith today he said the barrel look good so don't know what is causing the lack of grouping

Hi JSC,
Maybe look at the Crown of the barrel? Maybe a nick on the rifling?
I know a Great Gunsmith in the Coquille, , Ken Brooks at PISCO Gunsmithing; phone number is 541-396-5558 tell them Tony (AGI) from Clackamas, Oregon Sent you. You can mail the weapons to them. :)

Took it to a local smith today he said the barrel look good so don't know what is causing the lack of grouping
The 788 I owned (wish I still had it) would shoot almost everything I fed it under MOA, some by a lot.
Do you reload? If not,...
It sounds like it's time to go shopping for a variety of loads/brands/bullet weights.
Grab a pen and a notebook and head to the range with your purchases. Don't forget to let the barrel cool down between groups.

I've never reloaded for the .222, but I'm sure there's more than one aficionado here on the forum that has.

It may be time to hit the reloading section and ask about favorite loads/bullets/powder/seating depths etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top