JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Owned a few mosin nagants, one of my favored rifles is great but the last piece to it's accuracy is the horrible rough trigger pull. Any gunsmiths do any trigger work to smooth the pull?

Owned a few mosin nagants, one of my favored rifles is great but the last piece to it's accuracy is the horrible rough trigger pull. Any gunsmiths do any trigger work to smooth the pull?

I don't know of anyone locally, you could just take it in an ask. I installed a Timeny Trigger in mine. You have to go a good amount of inletting on the stock before it will drop in, but it's well worth the time and effort. It's on sale right now. I don't know what it would cost to have a smith do it, but the Timeny runs just around 100 bucks shipped. There are also quite a few write ups online and some videos detailing trigger work. Weather or not you feel confident to safely do it yourself is up to you.

One of the many great things about M/N is they are easy to tweak and if you messed them up, heck, you risked little. If you have some manual skills, here is one of many jobs you can try. There is a lot of DIY links on the web. You should take a look before you go and spend more money on a trigger than the rifle is worth.

At your own risk:

Polish the sear contact and trigger contact surface with 400+ grit or sand paper.

I also added a shim (thin washer) to the sear screw between sear and receiver to reduce the trigger take-up. YMMV! If you try this I advise you do a lot of testing (including drop tests) before you try it with live ammo.

I also added a spring to eliminate the trigger flop.

I have not tried this yet but you might want to. First, buy a spare sear you can risk mess up. Grind a couple of mills off the sear blade to see if you can make it a little weaker and reduce the trigger pull. Just don't try it on your the sear that came with your rifle!

Sear spring polishing: Mosin Nagant trigger job 2 - polishing - YouTube
A Bubba Gunsmith's Guide to the Mosin-Nagant Trigger | The Truth About Guns
Washer/shim modification: Mosin Nagant trigger job - YouTube
Slack spring: <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class