JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just curious about why you need to make the gas port larger.
What length barrel and caliber are you working on?
Failure to cycle. 18" intermid .223 wylde barrel. I have ran 5 different factory loads and still failed to cycle. I have talked with the manufacturer into troubleshooting the problem and they believe its a gas issue. They are willing to send me a new barrel but they have none in stock for the next 2-3 weeks. So I'd rather just get the gas ported myself. As I will be running and adjustable gas block, I wouldn't mind running a larger gas port.

I'm learning as I go with AR's, so that's why I'm inquiring about it.
Have you tried a different recoil spring and/or buffer.
Yes sir, I have two other AR's and swapped lower receivers, same outcome. As well as BCG. I've ran BCM FA BCG, Stock DPMS AR15 BCG, and a Fail Zero Exo Coated AR15 bcg.

Sounds like you're on the right track.
If I need to measure a drilled hole, I just use my indexed drill bits until I find one that fits and either trust whats marked on the bit holder case or take my digital calipers and measure the bit for a true size.

Yea I was thinking about going out and buying a set of drill bits and calipers but I figured if i'm already going to give it to a gunsmith, might as well have them do it as well.

After my last post, I have read a lot about drilling gas ports and the major consensus is that 90% of short stroking is gas block misalignment.

My .300 blackout barrel didn't come with the pre drilled indentations on the opposite side and the my first attempt at lining it up didn't go so well.
Then I used one of those break away pins that a friend had and the action started to work properly.
I also had a buffer that was a little to heavy.

Last Edited:
My .300 blackout barrel didn't come with the pre drilled indentations on the opposite side and the my first attempt at lining it up didn't go so well.

Then I used one of those break away pins that a friend had and the action starter to work properly.
I also had a buffer that was a little to heavy.
Glad things worked out for you. Maybe I'll give it a shot. But I'd still rather have a larger gas port so I can dial in different loads with my adjustable gas block.

Hi All,
Have you check the bolt carrier key to see if it is loose? Just thinking out loud. How about the gas rings? Have you been shooting lead bullets in the gun? Please let us know.
Hope this may help

Tony Portland, Oregon Area:)

Hi All,
Have you check the bolt carrier key to see if it is loose? Just thinking out loud. How about the gas rings? Have you been shooting lead bullets in the gun? Please let us know.
Hope this may help

Tony Portland, Oregon Area:)
I have stated I've used 3 different bcg in this rifle. All rings are good.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top