JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I could have SWORN I posted this last night with a nice description...hmm...well time to tell the short version of the story again! :cool:

I have a Marlin 444 which is my first rifle purchase with my father who has since passed so it has sentimental value.

As I prepared for hunting season I noticed some rust on the barrel tip and around a little. So I pulled out my steel wool and solvent. Used the wool and applied my solvent. Immediately I noticed bluing coming off. I quickly rinsed it off and a lot of bluing was removed. I had grabbed the wrong solvent...idiot mistake. Now the bluing is missed and I have a decent amount of rust.

I could try to blue it myself but I am no expert and because of the sentimental value I rather have a professional do it.

Can anyone suggest a Gunsmith who does bluing in the Portland (westside) or Salem area who is trusted and used before? I want to call around from those suggestion, price and get it fixed. I assuming they would have time now since hunting season is over.

Thank you in advance for helping! :s0155:

Rich's Gunshop in Donald does decent work, but most of what I've seen from them is what I would call a matte bluing. But, you could give them a call and see what they can do for you.

Hi PDXWolf,
There a guy in Vancouver Washington That does bluing and a good job at it. He did a Ruger 22 I got from him. I know where he lives.
I may have his phone number in my phone. I will look for it for you.
PM me if you would like it with you number so I can call you and give it to you.
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

typically, home bluing jobs are not nearley as durable as the when done by the pro's. any compitant gun shop can usually do bluing if you dont mind waiting and paying their outragous prices. if you want to strip, polish (or blast) yourself, i recommend having black oxide done instead of bluing. the color is deeper and in my experience (have done many and own some that get heavily used), it holds up as good or better than bluing. you can have a complete rifle done at A & B Finishing for $60.00.

WAY overdue thread response...first off THANK YOU from those that have made suggestions so far. Looking for more!

I have heard of a guy in Banks, OR that is a small shop, reliable and recommended. Does anyone know this might be? Contact information? He would be close to me thus why I am interested!

On a side note...found my first post on this: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fi...ussion-reviews/109076-bluing-needed-done.html

:p

Thanks again! Keep it coming!

The guy in Vancouver who does firearms refinishing is Earl Rawlings.
He is usually has a booth at the Clark County Square Dance Center in Vancouver, held every second Saturday of the month.
You can reach him at this # 509-250-1827

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads