JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I'm forced to part ways with my rifles in order to raise cash. I've posted ads here and on gunbroker, but to no avail, so I think I may be making the rounds to gunshops/pawnshops in the near future. I've never had to sell a rifle and have a few questions you guys may be able to answer for me.

Can you recommend any gunshops/pawnshops in Western Washington that buy used guns? I'm worried these guys, if I can find anyone buying, are going to offer me pennies n the dollar. Is this he case? How might a guy go about getting a fair price for his rifles?

Thank you,

I'm forced to part ways with my rifles in order to raise cash. I've posted ads here and on gunbroker, but to no avail, so I think I may be making the rounds to gunshops/pawnshops in the near future. I've never had to sell a rifle and have a few questions you guys may be able to answer for me.

Can you recommend any gunshops/pawnshops in Western Washington that buy used guns? I'm worried these guys, if I can find anyone buying, are going to offer me pennies n the dollar. Is this he case? How might a guy go about getting a fair price for his rifles?

Thank you,

Thank you,

To the best of my knowledge you won't. Unless you mean "pennies on the dollar" is .50-.65, then yes, that is about what to expect for a gun that is in unquestionably good condition.
Gun traders/buyers/sellers/pawn shops are in business to make money. They do that with profit. Profit is NOT A BAD WORD! Making profit means they will still be there when you want to buy another gun, or buy yours back.
In order to make a profit they are going to have to buy your gun cheap enough to make money when they sell it at a fair price. Unfortunately that means they CAN'T buy it at what you think is a "fair price" for it. If they could, they would be selling them for ridiculous prices and we would all be slamming them in the review section for their outrageously high prices.

After all, you want to buy at a fair price, so don't expect to sell it outright to a dealer for same.
It just doesn't pencil out for anyone in business.
What fair price boils down to is which side of the deal you are on.

A few years ago a friend of mine was in a tough financial position and ended up selling most of his firearms to gun shops in Oregon. He got about half of what they were worth and that was before the economy tanked. I know that gun shops have to make a profit to stay in business, but I thought he got a raw deal.

I generally trade in used guns vs selling. Remember, the shop has to sell your gun for a profit. Also, most I have talked to want to turn used guns around within 3 months so they price them a bit below blue book. So you will get less than what they are worth. However, if you trade them towards something else you only pay tax on the cash portion of the transaction. You do not pay tax on the trade-in "credit".

Gig Ole Trees,

Based on my limited experience, selling your gun (s) to a gun shop or a pawnshop, will 'net' you about 50 - 60% of the 'true value' of the firearms.

A consignment arrangement with a gun shop would be your next best option, but you'll still only 'see' a return of 75 - 80% of true value.

Further, you need to understand that in both scenarios, their 'true valve' may be considerably less than yours.

My suggestion would be to take your firearms to a gun shop (not a pawn shop) and 'see' what they offer you in a consignment deal. Then I'd put them up for sale here and at Outdoor Trader. (Free Gun Classifieds - Used Guns - OutdoorsTrader.com) at that price, with an willingness to accept an offer.

Selling your firearms 'face to face' ( FTF ) is simple, just be sure that the buyer is a (in your case) Washington State resident. I make out a 'Bill of Sale. It includes the date & time of sale, the buyer's full name, their driver's license number and their signature. I file this info. forever.

Sorry you have to sell them, but I hope this has helped.

Frog.

Thank you,

You've only had an ad up here for less than one day? :huh:

When people want to dump an item (any item) quickly they have to consider that going price + for an item collects more dust than offers. Not trying to be mean but if you need to dump an item quickly don't expect to get full market +. This goes for anything not just guns.

Thank you,

Back in th early 90's I was in the same position. I went to talk to Moe at Federal Way Discount guns. At that time he gave me a fair price for my stuff. It wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you don't agree then walk away.

Dude, hold your horses man. It took me 3 weeks to sell one of my guns here. Drop the price every now and then if no one bites and keep bumping once a week. Patience is a virtue. If you need it to sell RIGHT AWAY, you'll have to put the price pretty low. Not a whole lot of people are going to want to pay $700 for a mini-14 you know, even if it does have lots of upgrades. You could buy a low-end AR-15 NEW for that much.

$.50- $.65 on the dollar is correct for cash offers, and 80% for a consignment gun is what i sell everything at.

Everyone seems to think that a dealer should buy at retail and then try to sell at retail. If i dont make any money on the deal i can't keep my doors open.

The other problem is, people seem to think guns go up in value.... This is not the case for 99% of guns out there. Guns are like cars. As soon as you drive it off the lot, you lost money.

$.50- $.65 on the dollar is correct for cash offers, and 80% for a consignment gun is what i sell everything at.

+1 and I would add that those percentages are of going rate retail prices not pie in the sky perceived values which have no relevance in the real world of retail sales.

Everyone seems to think that a dealer should buy at retail and then try to sell at retail. If i dont make any money on the deal i can't keep my doors open.

The other problem is, people seem to think guns go up in value.... This is not the case for 99% of guns out there. Guns are like cars. As soon as you drive it off the lot, you lost money.

:s0155:

The only people that can stay in business without making a profit is the government business. ;)

+1 to real world value, not what a book printed 8 months ago says. I check auction sites, here, other forums, for the "real world value". then i have to figure in a profit for myself, labor (every time i touch it, it costs me money), misc. other over head.

Just because you hear it is worth this, or saw it listed for X amount WITH NO BIDS, doesnt mean it is worth that.

Pawn shops will loan 50% of a guns value appox. So if you borrow 100.00 dollars on the value of a gun. It will cost you about 130.00 or so dollars to get it back $10.00 of it is a background check when picked up. Many do not sell guns in store, and must broker them some way.

The other thing that most of us forget is that dealers buy new guns at wholesale, you can not expect them to buy a used gun for the same or more. 50% of what they will price the gun for is not unreasonable, If you want to sell quick you will have to price your gun at a bargain price (still 20% more than a dealer would pay) :D

Back in th early 90's I was in the same position. I went to talk to Moe at Federal Way Discount guns. At that time he gave me a fair price for my stuff. It wouldn't hurt to check it out. If you don't agree then walk away.

Moe must have changed,he's about 20c on the dollar for trades now.But he pawns guns,so you never get very much that way.

I was going to trade my Kimber in on a Blackhawk and she was way low,$500 She said she isn't selling anything over $500 now.
The Shelton show was just that,a show not a sale.

Seems everyone is holding on to their moneys right now,so you may take a big hit on the guns.

I have sold different guns to different dealers,with different results
Can I say all that?

Some shops sell tons of rifles,some pistols,ARs.Just depends on what you have to what each dealer is willing to pay.

Now the gun shows are usually the best place to sell stuff.

Maybe go to Puyallup real early and sign up.You may do good there.

A lot of trades going on too.But that doesn't help with your cash flow.

BTW what are you selling?

Pawn shops will loan 50% of a guns value appox. So if you borrow 100.00 dollars on the value of a gun. It will cost you about 130.00 or so dollars to get it back $10.00 of it is a background check when picked up. Many do not sell guns in store, and must broker them some way.

I think a 50% pawn on a gun is a very good deal or they have a lot of good buyers.
I wouldn't expect to be offered more than 30% at a pawn shop.
Again it depends on what you have.

A Kimber,Remington,H&K will bring a higher % than a Bersa

If i were you you i would put ads on gunbroker or the classifieds here or at places like defensivecarry.c0m. I would find out the going rate for the firearm you want to sell on gunbroker and the amount a pawn/gun shop would pay you. Then put up an ad in the middle of these amounts. Good deal to the buyer and better by 20-30% on what you would get from a shop. Everybody Happy! And yeah drop the price on that mini 14. They go new for about that with all the tacticool goodies or an ar for same.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads