JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have some firearms in my safe that I'm hesitant to shoot. It's either because I don't like to shoot them, they are old, or they may be collectable.

I have for example, Kimber 1911 I hardly ever fired. Less than 50 rounds. Why? Because I bought it when Kimber was first in the 1911 business & it has "Clackamas, OR" stamped on the slide. Should I just go ahead & shoot it or let it sleep in my safe?

What guns do you own that you 'don't shoot"?

Just started my collection (bought my first gun in November), so I don't have anything I don't shoot yet! Might not shoot my AR when I get the complete upper to go without my complete lower, but that's because ammo for it is hard to find and expensive right now! Even taking it easy on the 9mm for now, having trouble finding ammo for it too. But the 20ga and the .17HMR, no problem, i'll be shooting them plenty! And the 9mm will get work at Beavercreek Armory in their indoor range, since you have to use their ammo. Won't be depleting my supply at home that way!

I have some, but they are mostly ones I inherited from my dad.
I have recently started weening some of my personal guns out of my stock. Hopefully I will get down to two pistols two rifles and two shotguns.
Gonna be hard to sell my dads firearms, I'll prob just keep those as "safe queens"

Heck shoot it! It is like my colt tatical lightweight officers nodel, only 635 ever made! Your early kimber is a Great one to shoot a lot it wil handle it UNLIKE the newer ones cuz the interal parts sear and other parts are MIM.... METAL INJECTED MOLDED parts . A money saving cost move and don't wear like say a true TOOL STEEL HARDEN part.

Hope this helps
Dan

I have some firearms in my safe that I'm hesitant to shoot. It's either because I don't like to shoot them, they are old, or they may be collectable.

Old guns shoot great, and so do collectible guns. I suppose if i had something really valuable (the Derringer used to kill Lincoln or something) I wouldn't shoot it, but otherwise...blast away as long as the gun is safe.

Plenty of milsurpers shoot guns made in the 1880s or 1890s. Those guns have already seen thousands and thousands of rounds in all likelihood - a few hundred more aren't going to make much difference.

I have for example, Kimber 1911 I hardly ever fired. Less than 50 rounds. Why? Because I bought it when Kimber was first in the 1911 business & it has "Clackamas, OR" stamped on the slide. Should I just go ahead & shoot it or let it sleep in my safe?

Why wouldn't you?

Valid reasons not to shoot it would be that you don't like it (in which case you could sell it) or you don't have any .45 ammo and it's too expensive at the moment. I do own a Kimber 1911 and while it's not my favorite pistol, I love shooting it.

I have shot every gun I own and continue to do so, including many from the 1930s/40s. The oldest gun I have is an 1893 Turk Mauser that was rebarreled in Ankara in 1936 to shoot 8mm Mauser.

The bolt doesn't close on a FIELD gauge, but it's real close. Not unusual for old milsurps to close on a NOGO but if they close on FIELD, I don't shoot them. This one is on the edge - bolt comes about 70% of the way around. It's also a Mauser 93-style gun, which means no gas vents so there's an excellent chance of hot gasses or worse coming right into your face. I've been considering having the headspace fixed...though I hate to spend several hundred dollars without knowing if the bore is any good. When I have time I will slug it to evaluate the lands.

I guess the oldest gun I shoot regularly is my Mosin from 1930.

I once owned a .357 Mag 2" Taurus snub. I only shot three rounds out of it. Painful. That was truly a gun I didn't shoot. I eventually sold it and bought a Ruger LCR in .38 Special which is much more pleasant.

I haven't shot my 119 year old Winchester 1892 44/40 saddle ring carbine in about a decade. Its not in pristine condition or anything like that but I just don't really get excited about shooting it. I also have a 1915 Erfurt Luger that I only shoot on rare occasions. It also is a "shooter" not a collector but if I don't really enjoy it then I won't shoot my guns. Oddly enough, the gun I probably shoot the most these days is my Colt Python... :)

Its too pretty not to shoot.

E07508F7-780E-4DFF-8EC9-9837D7FEA43F-5024-000008E68E0242B1.jpg

IMHO, unless a firearm has some significant historical or design quality or a museum piece; if it is in shootable condition and ammo is available for it by all means shoot it. There is nothing like feeling the recoil and the discharge. It makes you appreciate the history even more.

Why not? I can understand not taking it through a training course but never firing it I could not do. What an awesome peice of history. I think it would be a pleasure to throw a little lead from a Kaiser capture.

I don't collect, I shoot. I just can't see owning something I can't blast.

It Jams. Horribly. The last time my dad and I went plinking with it (in the 80s) after 8 of 12 rounds jamming at least once it took a full teardown to get the last jammed live-round out of it. It is a great piece of history, just not safe (IMO) to operate.

It Jams. Horribly. The last time my dad and I went plinking with it (in the 80s) after 8 of 12 rounds jamming at least once it took a full teardown to get the last jammed live-round out of it. It is a great piece of history, just not safe (IMO) to operate.

It's funny, I might or might not shoot shoot it, but I would drive myself crazy if I didn't get it fixed or determined that it was unfixable! That's a terrific family heirloom you've got!

It's funny, I might or might not shoot shoot it, but I would drive myself crazy if I didn't get it fixed or determined that it was unfixable! That's a terrific family heirloom you've got!

Yeah, the old Lugers are known for this. It's not broken by any means. They are made for high grain rounds and tend to jam up on the plinking rounds. Since I don't want to spend $40 on 140gr ball just to plink...and the $15 115gr causes jams. Does that mean that I don't have one of the mags packed up with 140gr as a back-up? No. I just don't shoot it.

This one is a civilian police model. Each part is stamped, even the mags and the holster. It makes quite a conversation piece, and it does shoot.

30yr old unfired 44special colt single action revolver and a used but in decent condition remington model 12 16gauge shotgun. (but pad is chipped/cracked if anyone has a spare)
I've also seldom shot my Draco SBR..

But heck, with the times the way they are, I don't shoot anything other than:
12g, .38/357, and 54r. (need to slow down the 54r depletion.)
Noticed.a TON of 30-06 and 17hmr on the shelves.. Perhaps I shall pick up two new toys in those calibers after I get my tanker garand.

I haven't shot my 119 year old Winchester 1892 44/40 saddle ring carbine in about a decade. Its not in pristine condition or anything like that but I just don't really get excited about shooting it. I also have a 1915 Erfurt Luger that I only shoot on rare occasions. It also is a "shooter" not a collector but if I don't really enjoy it then I won't shoot my guns. Oddly enough, the gun I probably shoot the most these days is my Colt Python... :)

Its too pretty not to shoot.

E07508F7-780E-4DFF-8EC9-9837D7FEA43F-5024-000008E68E0242B1.jpg

Gawd....That sure is purdy!! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads