JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On another thread, people were talking about guns with provenance. I'm not talking about Hitler's Walther or something goofy like that.
But many of us who have gone beyond the basics of gun ownership (us "super" gun-owners), have bought guns just because they have a cool story from the person we got them from. No actual provenance, just a cool story.

I have a couple. I had a CZ Model 45 in .25acp. The story I had was that a gentleman who worked in Eastern Europe after WWII took it from an East German counterpart after a lethal encounter. Perhaps far fetched, but it was not import marked, not very expensive, and even the chance of the story being true was worth it.

The second gun was actually just a 1903 Springfield receiver and parts. A gentleman contacted me out of the blue from across the country and said he had a 1903 receiver his father had liberated in Suhl, Germany (home of the German small arms industry) late in WWII. It was a pretty fantastic story, and when I looked up the names and the unit yearbook, everything fit. It is a receiver that I will someday build into a nice rifle and likely won't sell, as the story of where it had been and where it came from is just awesome. When I build the gun, I'm going to type out the story and roll it up in the buttstock of the rifle.

What guns have you bought just for the story, whether provable or not?

Stories are fun. But I don't believe any of them.
And believe me. When there is money involved. That really piss-is people off. :D

It would need to have a DD Form 603 or similar with the story to add any value for me.
Same as I like CMP paperwork on guns. And give it some weight.

No signed letter from some relative in 1878.
They lied for money back then to. :D

Stories are fun. But I don't believe any of them.
And believe me. When there is money involved. That really piss-is people off. :D

It would need to have a DD Form 603 or similar with the story to add any value for me.
Same as I like CMP paperwork on guns. And give it some weight.

No signed letter from some relative in 1878.
They lied for money back then to. :D

True. Stories without solid provenance aren't worth a premium. I didn't pay a premium for either of the above two guns. Just curious if anyone else liked stories that often come attached to guns...

I have this .308 Galil that was forged in the fires of Mt. Ararat kindled from the wood of Noah's Ark, and was used to slay an entire batallion of invading rock-people looking to pilfer frankensense and mir from the Ark of The Covenant.

11449B3F-762D-4435-8BFD-BD576CDC29AA.jpeg 7606AA38-D0E7-4353-9898-BEAD76136C40.jpeg

:D

Last Edited:
I had a gun in my safe for awhile that had a story behind it. It was my buddies pistol that he used to defend himself. Shot some dude in the face with it....he didnt want to carry it anymore....psychological issues I guess.... Does that count?

DSC06619 (1).jpg
DSC06632 (1).jpg
If you look closely at the second picture ... the barrel near the gold bands is marked : St. Louis.
When showing off any of my old muzzle loaders ...there is much that I suspect..but actually very little that I can prove...
I have no doubt that this rifle was made in the 1840's or 50's and was used on the plains...
All that I really know is that this rifle was ( or at least the barrel ) was made in St. Louis.

I always try to make sure that the folks looking at my collection know :
What I actually know about the gun...
What I think is going on with the gun...
And what work that I have done to the gun , versus old repairs and condition...
Andy

I have my great uncle's 1911A1 he carried in WWII. It has plenty of stories and history attached to it. And I believe every single one.

I hear stories about guns folks want to sell me but it doesn't take much looking to see those stories are not true.:confused:

Old guns have a story of their own and you can see it if you look close. It tells you how good the men who owned it were at taking care of guns. I prefer to build hunting stories with my own guns than to buy others folks. It's like I could never hang a rack some other man shot so I could never show a gun from another man's stories.

I really would like to own name guns that were men of history, a name gun is about a man's reputation good or bad. A name gun is written history, a story gun might or might not be part of history but fits into the times. However a good German stamp or proof mark goes a long way to better the story.o_O

I had a gun in my safe for awhile that had a story behind it. It was my buddies pistol that he used to defend himself. Shot some dude in the face with it....he didnt want to carry it anymore....psychological issues I guess.... Does that count?

I bought a nice handgun once with the box and all the paperwork.

Plus one extra piece of paperwork.
The Coroners report on just how this gun was used by it's last owner. o_O

I bought a nice handgun once with the box and all the paperwork.

Plus one extra piece of paperwork.
The Coroners report on just how this gun was used by it's last owner. o_O

And how was that exactly? In defence or .......

My buddy got arrested but was released within 24 and given his gun back. He didnt kill the dude, just blew the whole R side of his face off. Dude ended up getting arrested and now has to look at himself everyday in the mirror and think.....

I have a custom Mauser, butter knife bolt, lossa goodies, made by naked, dancing fairies in the Black Forest! Given a few minutes I can produce a letter of provenance from Ludwig Von Beethoven, the previous owner!

Last Edited:
And how was that exactly? In defence or .......

My buddy got arrested but was released within 24 and given his gun back. He didnt kill the dude, just blew the whole R side of his face off. Dude ended up getting arrested and now has to look at himself everyday in the mirror and think.....

Lemme guess.... and lamenting that he's half the man he used to be? ;)

I have a Smith and Wesson Model 10-5 that was supposed to go to the National Police Force of Iran. The Shah of Irans' Police Force in '68. It was shipped by accident.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top