JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the most part, I think it's good that people may turn in their old weapons, but I have a feeling that the overall atmosphere is, "Get rid of those bad weapons! They're evil!" I could see that happening over there, but for the most part I don't think this article reflects that attitude, which I appreciate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,493009,00.html

Saturday, February 14, 2009
Associated Press

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Police in South Carolina gave away roses on Valentine's Day. All you had to do to get one for your sweetie was turn in a gun.

Hoping to get the weapons off the streets with the "Guns for Roses" program, authorities in two central South Carolina cities set up a program where anyone who turned in a gun received a free rose and a Best Buy gift card.

At a Columbia church, five cars lined up to give away guns before the exchange had even started. At the end of the day, Columbia area police had collected 191 weapons and police in Sumter collected 32.

"We've got a great turnout so far," Richland County sheriff's spokesman Lt. Chris Cowan said.

A handgun was worth a $100 gift card, while a rifle or shotgun netted a $50 gift certificate. Cowan said one man turned in six handguns, worth $600 in gift cards.

Cowan did not immediately have a total value for gift cards given out. Sumter Police Chief Patty Patterson said her program gave out $550 in gift cards for long guns and $2,100 for handguns.

There was no amnesty for those turning in the guns. The weapons were being checked to see if they were stolen, names and addresses were jotted down and ballistics tests would also be done to see if the firearm was used in a crime.

Both Cowan and Patterson said there were no incidents and no arrests made Saturday.

Cowan said the idea was spawned in part by Columbia Police Chief T.P. Carter and Richland County Sheriff Leon Lott, who has made headlines recently for investigating Michael Phelps after a photo surfaced showing the Olympic swimming champion smoking a marijuana pipe. The program was modeled after a California one; similar exchanges have been done in New York and San Francisco.
(Relevant, how..?)

Cowan said gun donors were young and old, men and woman. Many had a big smile and some said it was a relief to get rid of the weapons.

And did they even care about the rose?

"Most of them have taken it," Cowan said.

Click here for more on this story from FOX affiliate WACH-TV in Columbia.

Well, I have come around to thinking that many people fave firearms they don't feel comfortable with and don't want to sell. Some people don't feel comfortable with them, and that's their decision. It's the people that push the anti-weapon mindset on whole communities that bothers me, because it breeds like a wildfire, and it's self detructive.

If we have the ability to check for stolen weapons and such, just as the police were doing, we should do this too.

I'll pull the trailer and keep inventory. We could make it sound official. Something like N.W.F.A. volunteer weapons safety team Oregon chapter. I wonder if we would get arrested for doing something illegal? First we'll hit Eugene, then Portland.

Last Edited:
I'll pull the trailer and keep inventory. We could make it sound official. Something like N.W.F.A. volunteer weapons safety team Oregon chapter. I wonder if we would get arrested for doing something illegal? First we'll hit Eugene, then Portland.

Hey... I think you're on to something!

But we'll need some firearms "safty" propaganda for the media... and we'll have a mirror site where we talk about making Oregon safer by removing surplus guns :s0114:

Then anybody who wants to give us their guns for $25 gift card and a rose... well... yeah... we should have their guns anyways. :D

Then we can sell the guns to members for $100 ea. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads