JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have you seen a gun that a company made or makes, and or advertised, that you are certain just doesn't exist?

I understand 2020 has made firearms non existent in some extent. This relates to that and other areas in the industry, where something gets made or advertised, yet it seems to not really exist.

Here are a few examples...

This savage chambered in 5.7x28. Supposedly manufactured for a short time, I've never seen one in existence online or in person.
1605289828187.jpeg
Another savage. This time a high end 110 precision pro, the catch, they say they make it in 223 Remington. Yet finding one in that chambering seems impossible! Websites have a listing for them, but I'm uncertain if it exists!
1605289955308.jpeg

What Gun have you seen or heard about online or from a manufacturer that seems to be purely vaperwear!

The pistol red dot from Crimson Trace. I saw a demo one at an event and it was the easiest for my eyes with an astigmatism to use. Couldn't wait to get one. Saw them on S&W guns in their ads. Must be made from unobtanium. They released the shotgun/rifle version but I've yet to find anyone who has seen one in the wild. Anyone here???

Ruger XGI (.308 "Mini-14") way back when come to mind.

This is the one that I was thinking of. Ruger advertised it in the gun mags, it got written up, it was shown in their 1985 catalogue, was never made. I should say, it was never sold. They must've made just enough of them for testing to discover that something wasn't right enough to go ahead with marketing the product. From pictures, my impression is that it was closer to the Mini-14 in size than the original M14. The catalogue showed .308 and .243 availability.

Vaporware.

I would like to have something like a CZ 527 in 5.7x28. I hear Savage had problems with the rifle because of the cartridge, but it seems to me that if can't be that hard to make a bolt action that would handle the cartridge?

This is the one that I was thinking of. Ruger advertised it in the gun mags, it got written up, it was shown in their 1985 catalogue, was never made. I should say, it was never sold. They must've made just enough of them for testing to discover that something wasn't right enough to go ahead with marketing the product. From pictures, my impression is that it was closer to the Mini-14 in size than the original M14. The catalogue showed .308 and .243 availability.

The X-GI was the first thing I thought of too. Duncan Long ("Long on BS and short on facts" as one writer liked to say in his book reviews and articles, and absolutely true if you read Long's books) wrote the X-GI Maxie -14 up in "his" books too. I say "his" in quotes as he just offered a "writing course" and assigned everyone a chapter in the book.... er, an assignment to write (a friend of mine took the "course" and had his chapter, er, assignment, published) changed a few words here and there and combined them into a Paladin Press "book". In the book, the X-GI was on the market and being sold and common as ants at a picnic.

Gung-Ho magazine also wrote them up as on the market and being sold, and they had a "production gun" they picked up to test according to the article. According to the "official" (Billy Ruger had a habit of not exactly telling the same story twice depending on who, or what, you were) version, the gun never made it past the prototype stage and none of the (supposedly five) guns ever left the factory. The prototype guns were either (again depending on who you believe) destroyed in testing, destroyed later, sitting in a collection/vault, "lost", or "other" (any of the above).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top