JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Guns stolen from Fred Meyer in Newberg
Updated 17 minutes ago
By FOX 12 Staff

25831128_BG2.jpg

Newberg-Dundee police are sharing a surveillance photo in hopes of identifying a man who they said stole several guns from a Fred Meyer store.

The guns were for sale in a locked display case, but police said the suspect managed to access the handguns at 10:45 p.m. Wednesday. He then stuffed them into a backpack, which he had also stolen, and then left the store through the front door, police said.

The man ran southeast through the parking lot toward the bottle return area, but there's no word on where he headed once he left the parking lot.

He's described as white or Hispanic with a medium build. He wore dark clothes and a beanie or watch cap.

Police said they're not releasing any details about how many guns were stolen, or specifying the makes, models or values of the guns for investigative reasons.

Newberg-Dundee police provided a photo of the suspect and the stolen backpack. Anyone with information is asked to call <broken link removed> .

Wow. I deliver to the Newberg Fred Meyer, my wife and I shop there and I bought a Ruger LCR from them a couple of years ago. I hope they catch the guy before he tries to sell the guns to an unsuspecting buyer. We might keep an eye out on this forum for any new members who show up with a bunch of handguns for sale.

Your are so right on the resolution and quality on surveillance cams. With current technology, you would think they could get better pictures. Even the bank robbery pictures are difficult to recognize the suspect. Must be they don't want to spend the $ for good equipment. Another problem is staffing. How many times have to gone to the gun/ammo counter at Walmart or Bi-Mart and no employee is anywhere around to help you?
I expect Freddy's will change their locks on the cases after this. If they were actually locked?

This is why Freddies as well as Bimart need an employee behind the firearms counter at ALL TIMES.

80% the time they do.. But whenever Im there no employee are to be found.

Your are so right on the resolution and quality on surveillance cams. With current technology, you would think they could get better pictures. Even the bank robbery pictures are difficult to recognize the suspect. Must be they don't want to spend the $ for good equipment. Another problem is staffing. How many times have to gone to the gun/ammo counter at Walmart or Bi-Mart and no employee is anywhere around to help you?
I expect Freddy's will change their locks on the cases after this. If they were actually locked?
To be fair to Freddies...it was 10:45, almost closing time, and the staff was probably busy wrapping up for the day. That corner of the store is away from the groceries and can be pretty deserted that late at night. Their long guns are already locked down, and with the trigger locks in place they probably assumed that the handguns were safe in a locked dispkay case. The simple solution would be a long cable lock run through all the trigger guards or actions like you see at gun shows.

Didn't the same thing happen at a Fred Myers in the Seattle area a few months ago?
Little bit different I think......up in Washington I thought they left a side door open into their Garden area where a criminal (that was arrested for the crime) hopped the fence and went through the side door, took some firearms and out the gate he went.

That picture of this perp should be good enough for one of his rat criminal friends to turn him in for some reward (drug) money? I do agree that FM needs to upgrade the locks and/or alarm system on those cases.

For some reason I thought Freddy's quit firearm sales...obviously mistaken.

You would think they would be more concerned about security, especially with the current political climate being what it is and all.
He might have had an employee help him plan the heist.

I wonder how long it will take before the anti crowd figures out a way to capitalize on this theft.

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner. At both the Scappoose and the store off hwy 26 at Cornelius Pass have poorly situated gun counters. There are both tucked out of view from most of the rest of the store. I have been in both stores at times and, though I would never do this, I have thought about how easy it would have been to grab a few guns and run before anyone showed up, or grabbed a box of ammo and started firing. Freddies attracts a different and more "diverse" crowd than your average gun store. Most gun stores ALWAYS have someone behind the counter. They need to take different precautions.

Little bit different I think......up in Washington I thought they left a side door open into their Garden area where a criminal (that was arrested for the crime) hopped the fence and went through the side door, took some firearms and out the gate he went.

That picture of this perp should be good enough for one of his rat criminal friends to turn him in for some reward (drug) money? I do agree that FM needs to upgrade the locks and/or alarm system on those cases.

I am not sure where you got your information. The Fred Meyer theft was the store in Puyallup WA on Riverroad. The guy saw himself on the news and turned himself in the next day. Also it was during store hours when the theft happened.

Yeah, when did Fred Meyer start selling guns?
They use to sell them long ago, then removed them from stores in the lower 48 and only carried them in Alaska. Over 6 years ago they started a pilot program and reintroduced them in 4 stores and it took off so they expanded. There is a list on here somewhere as its been discussed before.
Many Freddy's outside the Portland Metro Area have gun and ammo sections. The one in Canby quickly comes to mind.
Canby and Oregon City are the two I visit most often and sometimes Newberg if I am over there. Prices are a bit high, but my wife works at corporate so we get the associated discount.

They use to sell them long ago, then removed them from stores in the lower 48 and only carried them in Alaska. Over 6 years ago they started a pilot program and reintroduced them in 4 stores and it took off so they expanded. There is a list on here somewhere as its been discussed before.

Canby and Oregon City are the two I visit most often and sometimes Newberg if I am over there. Prices are a bit high, but my wife works at corporate so we get the associated discount.
They pretty much put everything in their case on sale periodically, if you are patient and wait for the "sale" price to come around they are actually pretty competitive. My wife did the math and when you factor in the reward points you get on a $400 or $500 purchase and the savings on fuel you can do pretty well buying guns there if you are willing to wait.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top