JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My safe is nice and toasty inside with a Golden Rod, and an Eva-Dry Dehumidifier. Everything is Comfy. There are a couple rifles I thought about putting gun socks on. What brands are preferred?

Brownells' Bore Stores are the best. Thick and quality. I have had rifles that sat in those for literally a decade or more between hunting trips and no issues or problems ever. That was before the ill-fated cruise of course.

d9OA5t7.jpg

I bought a load of the silicone ones, I barely used them, most are still in their packets.

I'm wary, with my safe being in similar conditions as yours, whether it's better to allow air around them, or more closed in a sock.

However, as space gets tight, the ding protection might be worth it.
I will mention that if you have unfinished or raw finished wood stocks, that the silicone can cause refinishing or top-up issues.

I have a Golden Rod in my safe. Have oil wiped long guns in the $5 untreated socks, have never had any type of issue. It difinitely, help keeps the dings away.

I know this is a old posting but it is an important subject. I started using silicone treated gun socks after hearing Hickok45 mention he stored his guns in them. I've used up five 5-packs of Sack Up silicone treated gun socks and just ordered my sixth.

I have a pistols crowded Golden Rod equipped gun safe and the gun socks keep the moisture away from my firearms, prevent dings and scratches, provide protection in storage or in the field, and keep them looking like new. After Hurrican Florence blew through our neighborhood and left us without power for two weeks, the gun socks provided the only moisture protection that the Golden Rod could not without electical power.

Before I store my firearms in the gun socks, I clean them and rub down the outside finishes with a silicone rag rather than gun oil.

I stopped using gun oil after my department armorer cautioned us that gun oil has a bit of solvent like qualities that can interfer with some gun finishes. Must be true, because when I run a cotton patch through a thoroughly clean, lightly oiled bore before a range trip the patch always picks up some blue.

Silicone treated gun socks are a good investment.

Good points, I bought a couple dozen from someone on eBay who was making them. He made a deal on a volume purchase. They definitely help with dings but make it hard to identify what's under it, lol. I spent close to a half hour looking for one of my pump 22's and almost panicked thinking I didn't have it. So now I had the kids help make labels that I tie on top that state what's inside.

My guns are in 3 safes and never used a gun sock for any of them. I'm just careful putting guns into the safe to ensure I don't ding things up. My gun room is dry, and climate controlled, and never had any issues. So figure why change what is working?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top