JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at the LGS today taking in the devastation of the ammo selection and saw a sign that made me chuckle.

IMG_20201110_144525842 (1).jpg

It was below a bunch of .38 Super ammo. Apparently they had an issue with people buying it and then trying to return it when it didn't fit their new revolvers.

Made me wonder what other issues gun shop employees are facing and having to deal with these days with so many new gun owners.

Hopefully, shops are overrun by noobs, and supportive of noobs.

I bet it gets frustrating, but better to bring them into the fold than drive them away.

Easy to say from my non-shop non-overrun domicile. :cool:

Frankly, I like clueless noobs a whole lot better than 20 something COD larpers in full camo with a drop leg holster telling you how tactical they are while their skinny frame cries at the thought of 50 push ups. At least the noobs will tell you they know squat

So these new customers want to do business with your shop and you make fun of them. Maybe need to revise your long term business plan.

When I worked in the gunshop, I liked the people who would come in and see any AR rifle and say they want to see that M16 on the rack or that Masterpiece arms "Uzi" of sorts. Also, people come in wanting 9mm ammo and I'd have to ask, 9x19, 9x17, 9x18 Makarov, 9x21 IMI etc. The worst were people who brought in loaded guns in the box or case wanting to trade or sell etc.

I was a Newbie once. (Late 90's when it came to buying my own firearms and not just using my late husband's HOUSE GUN for self defense issues.) ALL of us were at any age of our lives when it comes to firearms or any other subject matter in life.

I had a salesman TRY to tell me and sell me 45acp instead of 45Long Colt for my former NIB Ruger Blackhawk in 45Long Colt (Bought elsewhere back east.) in the late 90's to 2001 (Time frame?) in a BIG famous gun store that had just opened in the state of MI. (It was not my family owned (NOT my family.) gun store where I bought 15 or so guns in my former state.)

I have never owned a 45acp semi automatic pistol and my late husband did not own one but my MT husband did and still does own that firearm caliber.

Anyway, my late husband told the MAN that he should listen to my QUESTION again and pay attention since they were 2 different calibers for my single action revolver. LOL I did NOT own a Blackhawk Convertible in dual cylinders (45acp AND 45Long Colt). I owned a gun purchased for 45Long Colt exclusively, NIB and in the 'New Model' version since the NIB RF and NIB RF Ruger s/a revolvers were ONLY made in the NEW MODEL version when I started to buy all of my firearms (Late 90's and ON.) which were MAINLY in handguns at the time shy of 3 RF rifles back east.

When I bought a SWEET 38Special NIB S&W ON SALE - it could take 38Special and 38Special PLUS P.

My 357Magnum Revolvers in d/a (Smith and Wesson) and in s/a (Ruger) (ALL NIB too.) could use 357Magnum, 38Special PLUS P and my favorite 38Special too obviously.

MY main gun man explained this to me at my store but so did other people (HIGH up in the shooting world - famous men.) PLUS what I had studied/read as a NEWBIE. They said that many OLDER 38Special ONLY guns could not take or shoot PLUS P LOADS due to their frame, design, strength, etc. SAFELY.

I never LOOKED AT or heard much about 38Super until I moved out west and HEARD the term. Obviously it was nothing that interested me way back when or even now. NO offense to any person who LIKES and shoots that caliber.

Plus I no longer shoot handguns.

I would NEVER make fun of a NEWBIE TRYING TO LEARN to buy the proper ammunition EVER. Maybe they should have ASKED a salesman for HELP or they received the WRONG ANSWER (?!) too.

I had seen AMMO for my former late 90's Glock 19 and another Glock 19 out here in various terms as a NEWBIE.

Example: 9mm LUGER AND 9mm PARA BELLUM and as a Newbie who was not at my GUN STORE at the time - I had to double check that I was GETTING THE RIGHT 9mm AMMO since I knew that it could not be returned. SOME factory ammo boxes has it worded BOTH WAYS. I knew what para bellum MEANT in Latin but it confused me when looking at the 9mm factory ammunition boxes since some ammo companies had it worded various ways.

And I was NOT LOOKING AT OR FOR what they call 9mm short or .380 or 9mm Kurz (?) back in the late 90's as a Newbie.

I had THAT ^^^ explained to me since I had to LOOK IT UP for a VETERAN friend who was gifted an OLDER foreign pistol and my MT husband explained it to me. Plus I read some of it here and elsewhere on the WWWeb.

Old Lady Cate

At a CCW class, I try to take 1 a year for updated legal reasons, and I get them for free! A lady bought a box of 9mm for her new 1911 chambered in 45acp because it was cheaper....

Frankly, I like clueless noobs a whole lot better than 20 something COD larpers in full camo with a drop leg holster telling you how tactical they are while their skinny frame cries at the thought of 50 push ups. At least the noobs will tell you they know squat

Thank you!

I just read this since it is taking me long to type with my injured right hand.

I just posted.

Cate

We were all new once.
Why I remember back when I got into black powder firearms and wanted to know more , so I asked my friend Jim Bridger....:eek: :D

For those that ask...
I will gladly share what knowledge I have.
For those who "know better than me" , I usually let them find out differently.
With that said , its never to late to learn something new.
Andy

Heal up, Cate!
Made me wonder what other issues gun shop employees are facing and having to deal with these days with so many new gun owners.
Wanting to buy a gun, lo and behold, they
  1. Have to wait a few days due to the backlog of BGC;
  2. Are flabbergasted that they cannot just buy one outright like they saw on 60 Minutes;
  3. Questions about when and where the next gun show is so they can utilize the loophole;
  4. Loose their shizzle when they find out that their recent DUI results in a BGC denial.
So these new customers want to do business with your shop and you make fun of them. Maybe need to revise your long term business plan.
No one was making fun of anyone here. Yet.

PS:

I never KNEW about or even looked at a 357Sig caliber pistol from ANY company brand or ammunition for that caliber either.

I had to ASK someone what IT was and LOOK IT UP in my 2 volume set from Hornady (Bought in MI at that famous NEW gun store opening.) that explained CALIBERS for handguns and rifles PLUS it gave loads for those firearms and NOT only their history.

I looked it up in my former old Gun Digest too.

Later on, other gun friends and my MT husband EXPLAINED IT TO ME.

I did KNOW about the 357Magnum caliber and ammo for it because my late husband only owned 2 firearms calibers in his life, on purpose, for a FEW handguns and rifles. (357Magnum and 22lr)

Plus the 'house gun' as I used to call IT was a CLASSIC and beautiful Dan Wesson d/a revolver in 357Magnum.

Old Lady Cate

Many noobs, when they're not busy voting blue (seriously, a sickening number of them did just that) are probably not a huge drain on the ammo supply anyway. "Yeah, I got a new pistol that will protect the house for me, and a whole box with 50 'bullets' in it!"

Many noobs, when they're not busy voting blue (seriously, a sickening number of them did just that) are probably not a huge drain on the ammo supply anyway. "Yeah, I got a new pistol that will protect the house for me, and a whole box with 50 'bullets' in it!"

That may be true for SOME newbies but NOT all Newbies are like that and, in fact, many of them have always been HARD CORE PRO RKBA people who voted for OLD fashioned conservatives, Rs and small l and Large L Libertarians.

PLUS they came from very old fashioned conservative (R) families and backgrounds.

The KIND OF PEOPLE that get made FUN of especially out west and in some other states ACROSS this nation.

WE get called bitter clingers that believe in God, GUN rights, PRO RKBA, the Bible, the flag, respect, personal responsibility, fiscal conservative issues and WE support peace officers and the military. And many of us former Newbies have or had one or both people in our backgrounds - history. Military - Veterans and/or peace officers too.

Old Lady Cate - A bitter clinger to my God, my sovereign nation, my Bible and the RKBA issue.

We were all new once.
Why I remember back when I got into black powder firearms and wanted to know more , so I asked my friend Jim Bridger....:eek: :D

For those that ask...
I will gladly share what knowledge I have.
For those who "know better than me" , I usually let them find out differently.
With that said , its never to late to learn something new.
Andy

My MT born and raised husband got a kick out of this.

Take care!

Cate

"20 something COD larpers"

:p That's some funny sh*t, thanks!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top