JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Guns & Schooling

• Total voters
Reactions
Once upon many a generation, children were taught firearm disciplines and safety in the school basement gun range. Educated kids didn't shoot each other in fits of rage, but gained confidence and understanding of their skills and 2nd Amendment Rights.

Personally, bringing these lost attributes back into the education system is long over due. Todays generations of video gamers only simplifies killing and creates a sociopathic mindset before their first live round is even fired!

Perhaps a poll is in order. Would you like 'Guns & Schooling' offered in the education system once again?

Last Edited:
I am a huge advocate for firearm education! I believe if the child is taught about them, it takes the "mystery" out of it, & replaces it with "respect"!

I would tend to think that most of the urgan school districts would oppose both firearms education and self-defense eduction. Rural school districts would likely go for firearms educations (Iwould think) but self-defense training would likley stand on the side lines. Most of the educators are liberal-democrates.

It depends. I don't think compulsory training would stand a chance, but would love to see belonging to a shooting club available as an elective.

With today's budget shortfalls I don't think either one is likely at most schools.

...but would love to see belonging to a shooting club available as an elective.With today's budget shortfalls I don't think either one is likely at most schools.
IMHO, anti-gun politics will win over any budget shortfalls. But once politics are overcome, maybe a volunteer based instruction program could be supported by the community. A few ours of classroom instructions, then, CMP/Appleseed field trips. Just trying to think outside the box.

I am all for Gun education. And it is a personal decision that should not utilize tax payer dollars.
In fact I think every adult and kid who owns a gun should demonstrate ( Skills Test) they can handle them safely.

I am not for a public school providing any education or providing facilities. Two Reasons:
1. Not in their primary mission or budget , and
2. IN grades K-12 - there are enough issues without adding firearms into the situation

Not sure where You went to school - But in the 50's and 60's no guns were allowed on any public campus in our city.
If you want hunter education education - you sought out the private sector or Boy Scouts and paid for it. Public taxes should never be used.

When I went to jr. High in MS some17 years ago we had hunter education at school. We shot pellet guns right on the football practice. While I don't understand people who are anti-gun they have a right to their opinions. Regardless of what happens in school my son will learn to handle and shoot guns safely.

back in the days when kids had shooting lessons in schools,the kids were raised with moral values.
now that kids are raised very liberal they dont get taught those values therefor i wouldn't trust the kids today with guns at school im sorry to say.
it's not the guns,its the hearts of people and the people of today and their kids have no moral values.
give them moral training then we can talk gun training.

It was common to see rifles in the vehicles on campus during hunting season at my HS, so the kids could go hunting right after school. There was never any problems. Sad to say, those days are long gone.

My own son is raised and a soldier (expert M-16 by the way).

My sweetheart and her high school teens are blessed to live in a rural area where many kids, and not just the boys, experience BB gun marksmanship class (upstairs in the local bank building at night) and hunter safety course as a rite of passage. Reasonable absenteeism at school is kind of a given in hunting season as long as the kids can keep up with their assignments. These are all things worked out by the parents, clubs, local business and teachers who tend to understand (or at least accept) the prevailing culture.

With that said, could a school district really withstand the crippling expense of litigation if some anti-gun folks lawyered up in a non-stop quest to abolish anything to do with a school endorsement? With band, shop, art, certain sports and a number of other cool "electives" already on the prospective chopping block, what gets cut next? IMHO, the cost and responsibility of safe, informed gun ownership for youngsters, in this society anyway, will have to be borne by the family and the community.

On the other hand, imagine junior's SAT's with strong 100 yd. scores factored in.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top