JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming.....
WA seller and an ID buyer. Both non-FFLs.

Basically.....you need to/should read up on the Federal and State Laws. Also, in some circumstances, City Laws will also apply. I say this for your future information and transactions.

Or......some find it simpler/easier.....to just contact an FFL in the state where the transaction is to take place (in this case Idaho). And NO....because it's a handgun......the Idaho resident cannot just come over to WA and pick up his purchase from you (or at your WA FFL's business).

Aloha, Mark

PS......IF it were me?

I'd drive over the state line to Idaho. And, do the transfer at an Idaho FFL's place of business.

BUT IF....
I didn't find that appealing. I'd sell the firearm (take his money) and ship the firearm to the Idaho FFL's place of business. He could tell you which FFL he wants to use. Then, I'd use the ATF EZ Check method to confirm his FFL's lic. Ship ONLY to an FFL's business address. And know that......some FFLs do not accept private parties packages. Best to call ahead to double-check if they'll accept your package. Some even insist on a copy of your Driver's Lic. (or other forms of ID) as well as an invoice/sale receipt made out to the buyer.

As for the actual shipping and packaging.....there are other laws that also apply to that issue.

As I said......
It's just simpler (probably) to use an FFL (on your end) if you don't know. Not to mention that.....some WA FFLs may just use the US mail to ship (speaking of handguns), whereas YOU (a non-FFL) cannot.

Last Edited:
First, you need to involve an FFL for the buyer. You can either ship the firearm yourself to an FFL but you need to check and see if the receiving FFL will accept from an individual, deliver it to an FFL in Idaho in person, or you can have a local FFL mail to an FFL in Idaho.

Pretty straight forward. Standard IANAL

Take a look online at "Ship My Gun" firearms shipping services. They offer 2nd day delivery to a vetted FFL that will accept firearms from non FFL folks.
You print your own shipping label, box it up and drop it off at a UPS hub. Usually for half the price of what you would pay on your own.
Also, you can use their shipping calculator to get an idea what it will cost the buyer to ship the pistol to his location.
The only drawback that I have encountered, is when a buyer selects an FFL that isn't on their preferred shipping list and SMG has to contact them and confirm they have a valid license and are willing to receive a non FFL package. That takes a few extra days.

Take a look online at "Ship My Gun" firearms shipping services. They offer 2nd day delivery to a vetted FFL that will accept firearms from non FFL folks.
You print your own shipping label, box it up and drop it off at a UPS hub. Usually for half the price of what you would pay on your own.
Also, you can use their shipping calculator to get an idea what it will cost the buyer to ship the pistol to his location.
The only drawback that I have encountered, is when a buyer selects an FFL that isn't on their preferred shipping list and SMG has to contact them and confirm they have a valid license and are willing to receive a non FFL package. That takes a few extra days.
Great information! Thank you!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads