JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There has been some pretty good advice so far on this subject, however more people have been focused on what you should buy.

The thing that I think is important here, is rather than selling some of what you have, you should save your money for a while until you can buy a tractor.

If the guns really are "extra" you should have sold them a few months ago, as prices are falling rapidly, and will probably bottom out soon, as every goofball sells off all the stuff he bought for inflated prices with the plan of resale. At this point, unless you can find someone willing to give you a fair price, I would just hang on to them, as SF pointed out, they will be more valuable later this year, or next.

As far as buying a tractor, figure out what you want, put your pennies away, and relentlessly hit craigslist machinery trader and all the other places (don't forget the random encounter of someone selling a tractor by the road side). I have been on a buying spree lately for used industrial equipment, vehicles and all kinds of other stuff. I just hit craigslist every few days with a well crafted set of search terms, and I usually check areas near by that might have what I'm looking for. When it comes to this kind of thing my patience is constantly rewarded. I've bought a few used machine presses for under $100, an older (giant) lathe for $300, etc etc.

As far as getting a tractor "now", renting can be a good option, renting from neighbors can also be a good option. If you need to get the yard mowed you might be able to rent your neighbors lawn tractor in exchange for some kind of maintenance, if you're handy, offer to change the oil and bring it back full of gas for permission to use it.

I've had really good luck doing stuff like this in the past, I remember some years ago I had to dig a 600' long trench and the leach field for my septic system, I talked to one of my neighbors who was about a mile away, he let me borrow his nice case skiploader that had a bucket on the back, in exchange I changed the oil and pressure washed it and brought it back full of diesel. After that he gave me a key for it and said I could use it any time I liked as long as I gave him a few hours notice (just in case he needed it for something).

Owning a thing that makes you less reliant on others is valuable, but it can also be expensive, having a relationship or set of relationships that accomplish nearly the same end may be more valuable, but with lower cost in the long run. I know I am a lousy farmer, however I am a skilled mechanic, machinist, armorer and engineer. My bet is that I can barter those skills with someone who is a farmer as a means of feeding myself and my family.

I'm positive that come SHTF, there will be farmers in need of security, of people who can fix their equipment, and people who can engineer irrigation systems to bring water to their crops. At the same time, I have the skills needed to destroy equipment, create insecurity, and divert water resources towards my own ends. I will eat one way or another.

Thanks AMP, I decided to do just that. We've survived the last couple years without a tractor, we'll survive this year too. I had a tractor picked out that I would have sold the guns for, but the guy never responded to my 4 phone calls and 3 emails :s0054:

I'll just wait and get one next year.

If you save your money and keep an eye out you may find the right tractor at the right price. It's a lot like buying used guns - have the money ready for when the right deals come along. ;)

My vote is tractor. Kubota is good, or look for an old Farmall. They are near indestructible if you don't ride the clutch. We had one for 50 years with hundreds of thousands of hours on it. Then my sister gave it away to a friend of the family so it's somewhere in the spud state. Farmall Cub
Brutus Out

As one who owns 5 acres, and is currently farming produce on about 2 of it, I am tractor less too, after hard times back in 09. Having a compact utility tractor in the 25 to 40 horse range with a tiller, field mower and front end loader will make your life a lot easier. You will be able to effectively maintain your property, prepare soil for planting and barter out with your neighbors.

I rented a 50 hp tractor to start my farming process this year and that cost me $ 390 for a day. I have a neighbor who occasionally can come do it for me, but I have to do it on his schedule and that could be never. I needed some more work done, and a guy my neighbor knows does custom tractor work and charges $ 50 per hour. Bargain really. I can have him come a lot for the price of buying one, BUT the efficiency of having that machine there all the time is huge.

I have owned several tractors over the years and have my preferences based upon capital cost, upkeep and dependability. If you cannot go at least 27 hp minimum, do not bother with less than that. Simple power requirements and frame sizing make that what I consider a minimum size for small farm use. Kubota or John Deere, Kioti, Branson. My personal favorite that I owned was a John Deere 955, 33 hp last made in 1998. Russian Chinese, or what ever they are I am staying away from. The smaller compact tractors are cute as hell, but simply do not have the frame size and power for the money you have to invest to own one.

Most tractors priced under about $ 11,000 with a tiller and loader are worn out, or have issues. I know $ 11,000 is a lot, and I ma currently saving for it, but I am not going with something that is worn out, used up, parts are getting hard to find in distribution system.

Start saving, but keep looking over the next year for tractors. craigslist of course, buy from a private party if you can since most dealers are going to try and hose you and sell the tractor for at least 15% more than you could get it from a private party for. The more you look, the more you will know the values and types of machines you are looking for, and occasionally that sweet deal will pop up, but you have to be ready to move fast when it does.

I have what I consider the best load out for guns that I will ever need. I don;t have excess guns, because I never bought more than what I really needed or intended to. The next best use of my money will be a tractor, that will allow me to convert more of my land into food production, barter materials, and my own preps.

woman-pulling-plow-20852453311.jpe

Just a thought. :winkkiss:
That is how its posta be!

A lot of the compact 4 wheel drive tractors will have calcium chloride added to the inner tubes to add weight. Some come with wheel weights also.
If you do get a leak with calcium chloride in a tire, make sure you get the tire jacked up real quick and the air stem at the 12:00 position so you don't lose any more of the solution then necessary. The salt can really eat up a good steel wheel in a hurry.

Those are a pain if you do any brush mowing. Especially scotchbroom will make the tires look like they tangled with a porcupine.
Just go to Les Schwab and have them send the tires over to Prineville and have them foam filled.
Same weight adding but never another flat.

Are they "really" extras? Meh....

I'll still have a 10/22, and a bolt-action .22, and an AR, and a suppressor, and carry gun, and a Glock, and the family/gift guns. I'll be losing the .22 AR, the wheel guns, the .45-70, the shotgun....

"Extra" is an ill-defined term ;-)

It just means more of the same

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top