JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

Here's the deal: we live on 5 acres in the country. I've been on the property for 8 years, my wife for the past 2. In the past I had a tractor that I used to mow the field, grade the driveways and move stuff around. It went away in the divorce, and I've been tractorless for the past 4 years. I've been able to get by (the fields haven't been mowed since 2008), but my present wife is into gardening and homesteading in a way that my previous wife wasn't. We're getting by, but a tractor with a front end loader and a brush mower would sure come in handy.

There are a few used tractors out there in the $3-5,000 range that would fit the bill and help us out with everything. The question is, should I sell off part of my firearms collection to buy a tractor? I'd be selling 6 guns and a couple stripped lowers; that plus the money I was going to use to buy a suppressor next month plus a little extra from the budget would get us a nice little 2wd diesel tractor. I'd still have a minimum complement of firearms once I sold off the "extras" in my collection. The tractor would, of course, get us closer to being self-sufficient on our little patch of ground.

What would you do? Sell the guns and buy a tractor, or keep the guns and save up for a year to buy a tractor?

Are they "really" extras? Meh....

I'll still have a 10/22, and a bolt-action .22, and an AR, and a suppressor, and carry gun, and a Glock, and the family/gift guns. I'll be losing the .22 AR, the wheel guns, the .45-70, the shotgun....

"Extra" is an ill-defined term ;-)

Rent a mid size tractor this year when needed. Save up and be ready when a really good deal pops up.
I go to a lot of estate sales, and I have seen some very good bargains on diesel tractors that appeared to be like new.
Plus, the attachments were under priced and/or included with purchase of the tractor.
Estatesale-Finder is your best bet when locating these items.

Rent a mid size tractor this year when needed. Save up and be ready when a really good deal pops up.
I go to a lot of estate sales, and I have seen some very good bargains on diesel tractors that appeared to be like new.
Plus, the attachments were under priced and/or included with purchase of the tractor.
Estatesale-Finder is your best bet when locating these items.

I like the other answers, but this is the way I would try to proceed.

Also do not be a brand name snob, I know someone in the middle of the USA who had bought one of the Russian made 4x4 with, forks, bucket, bush hog. I asked why that brand, he told me well I leery and did some asking around and found out that everyone I know has heard nothing but good things about them. He told me I got to thinking about it and discovered I could buy 1/2 dozen Russian made ones for the price of a JD.

I am not JD's are not good, everyone I know who has one is very happy with them, my point is I know people who buy the name not the item, do your research, ask questions about different brands.

Last Edited:
woman-pulling-plow-20852453311.jpe

Just a thought. :winkkiss:

I'll be losing the .22 AR, the wheel guns, the .45-70, the shotgun....

From the sounds of it, you'll do OK but I've noticed in my observations, summertime is the worst time to sell and best time to buy guns. Definitely get the tractor. Learn to make bio-diesel. Tractor can get you more favors than odd ball firearms lying around. Try to keep the shotgun.

SF-

SF

Give a day or two to contact them, I no longer live there but talk to them once in awhile. The guy is real character and I am down sick right now with a stuffy head and sinuses running, so not much of in the mood of talking on the phone right now. But I will find out in a couple days and post it.

I knew a guy many years ago that bought a Russian tractor, it was built strong and simple gears were square cut and ground if you did not listen to your rpms. It would work all day and start up in the mornings without any hesitation. The cost was really low compared to American or Japanese tractors. My vote is to go for the Russian tractor.

Hard to get parts for a Belarus tractor.
They can't meet the emissions standards and are not being imported anymore.

Find a good used Yanmar. Here is some internet info on them.

Yanmar, founded in 1912 , was the forerunner in the compact diesel engine market. Designing their first diesel engine in 1930 and built the worlds first small horizontal diesel engine in 1933.

By 1986 Yanmar had shipped over 100,000 tractors to John Deere alone. Yanmar is now one of the world leaders in the diesel engine market. Look under the hood next time you are in one of the other tractor dealerships and you will likely find a Yanmar diesel engine under the hood.

So what is a "gray market" tractor? The gray market tractors are surrounded by confusion. Basically- Yanmar manufactured 2 version of their tractors. One for the US market and another for Japan and other countries. They did this to meet the different requirements of each country. For instance, in Japan they are used primarily in rice fields with a tiller as the main attachment. These tractors are equipped with multi speed PTO's to use with the tillers. There are very few rice fields needing tilled in the US so they set up the US tractors for use with mowers, blades, etc. The US market tractors also needed to meet OSHA and other safety and standards.

Gray market tractors are simply the Japan version of the tractors that have been legally imported into the US. Why the bad press about these? The gray market tractors will not usually come with ROPS (roll over protection structures), some PTO shields, or English warning and operation decals (none of these things are required in Japan). All of these things can (and absolutely should) be added to your tractor though. Aftermarket ROPS are now available. English decals are in stock. English manuals are in stock. PTO shields are available. Once you convert your tractor with these parts there is very little difference from the US market tractor..

Worried about getting parts for your Yanmar? Yanmar has been around about as long as there has been tractors. They are here to stay. With almost 125,000 of each model produced, the list of aftermarket suppliers grows every day. Believe it or not- parts are actually much easier to get now than 5 years ago.

The tractor can get you more guns in the future just as the guns will get you a tractor AND a very nice garden right now.
Get a brush hog ,roto tiller and a post hole digger (best thing I had for mine) and you can make some money with the tractor.

Hey as long as you have a shotgun,side arm and a hunting rifle,OK a 22 rifle also,you should be fine.
I just sold a few to do the transmission on my truck.
See that's why it's good to buy extras

As far as brands,the important part is if you can get parts for the thing and tractors do break.

Hard to get parts for a Belarus tractor.
They can't meet the emissions standards and are not being imported anymore.

Find a good used Yanmar. Here is some internet info on them.

Yanmar, founded in 1912 , was the forerunner in the compact diesel engine market. Designing their first diesel engine in 1930 and built the worlds first small horizontal diesel engine in 1933.

By 1986 Yanmar had shipped over 100,000 tractors to John Deere alone. Yanmar is now one of the world leaders in the diesel engine market. Look under the hood next time you are in one of the other tractor dealerships and you will likely find a Yanmar diesel engine under the hood.

So what is a "gray market" tractor? The gray market tractors are surrounded by confusion. Basically- Yanmar manufactured 2 version of their tractors. One for the US market and another for Japan and other countries. They did this to meet the different requirements of each country. For instance, in Japan they are used primarily in rice fields with a tiller as the main attachment. These tractors are equipped with multi speed PTO's to use with the tillers. There are very few rice fields needing tilled in the US so they set up the US tractors for use with mowers, blades, etc. The US market tractors also needed to meet OSHA and other safety and standards.

Gray market tractors are simply the Japan version of the tractors that have been legally imported into the US. Why the bad press about these? The gray market tractors will not usually come with ROPS (roll over protection structures), some PTO shields, or English warning and operation decals (none of these things are required in Japan). All of these things can (and absolutely should) be added to your tractor though. Aftermarket ROPS are now available. English decals are in stock. English manuals are in stock. PTO shields are available. Once you convert your tractor with these parts there is very little difference from the US market tractor..

Worried about getting parts for your Yanmar? Yanmar has been around about as long as there has been tractors. They are here to stay. With almost 125,000 of each model produced, the list of aftermarket suppliers grows every day. Believe it or not- parts are actually much easier to get now than 5 years ago.

One of the tractors I'm looking at is a gray market Yanmar YM 2000. Yanmar says they won't support it with parts or stickers, I assume there are other places to get parts then?

One of the tractors I'm looking at is a gray market Yanmar YM 2000. Yanmar says they won't support it with parts or stickers, I assume there are other places to get parts then?

I have YM 1600 Yanmar tractor and have read not to buy them.It sets all winter and with a charged battery fires up every spring, then runs all summer. If you need parts they are on the internet. I would make sure to get one with a front end loader though.

Stop by and visit a midsize, to large commercial nursery grower in your area.
Ask the manager which tractor lasts the longest and is the most reliable.
The workers are rather tough on equipment and most don't read English very well if at all.
I worked in the commercial tire business, and had a lot of service calls to commercial nurseries.
Most if not all nursery's have mid size to small diesel tractors in constant use. Kubota being the most prevalent.

Stop by and visit a midsize, to large commercial nursery grower in your area.
Ask the manager which tractor lasts the longest and is the most reliable.
The workers are rather tough on equipment and most don't read English very well if at all.
I worked in the commercial tire business, and had a lot of service calls to commercial nurseries.
Most if not all nursery's have mid size to small diesel tractors in constant use. Kubota being the most prevalent.

Nursery workers don't speak English??? :huh::huh: How can this be... I am so confused :huh::huh:

SF-

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads