Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Guns In Church

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by DALE, Jun 28, 2009.

1. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

KPTV just ran a story on the 10 PM News about a church in Louisville Kentucky that hosted a "Bring your gun to church day", in the hopes of attracting new members. Cops checked that the guns were holstered and unloaded at the event which drew about 125 gun owners. Amen :thumbup:
    http://www.kptv.com/news/19880515/detail.html

2. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

I like it....Good for him, althigh I get a kick out of the cops checking to see if the weapon is unloaded, what a laugh.

3. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

Sounds like it might be a good marketing tool:

Bring your gun to the Zoo day
    BYG to the Blazers game
    BYG to the Car Dealer Day
    BYG to the Movies Day
    BYG to the Drag Races Day
    BYG to the Pizza Parlour Day (Izzy's)

Any marketing majors out there want to get to work on this to help promote Open Carry?

4. thelendog

thelendog Milwaukie Member

I've been reading about that pastor for a couple weeks now. It is funny that the weapons need to be unloaded, I figured that Kentucky had some sort of OC law. There are plenty of CC guns at my church on any given Sunday, but we don't advertise.

5. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

Right, what's the fuss? I've been learning gradually over the past few months of a surprisingly large number of people in my own church who carry all the time everywhere, And so, when they come to meeting or other events they don't change anything, just bring it along. One guy I've known for years, I just learned he always packs two. Many of their wives also carry. Funny thing, I've known, and been with, many of these people for years, and never NOTICED anything... which means they've been carrying well concealed.

Now, an open carry event might be interesting, but hey, we all know we've got that right, given by our great God, and so why push it? We certainly don't need any community recognition for it.

I did think it rather counterintuitive the guns brought to church that day were empty... almost like what's the point? A gun is an expensive rock without ammunition inside it. So why carry one like that?

6. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

I was asked by my pastor after the last shooting if I carried in church. I told him yes and he responded I just want to make sure somebody is watching out for us in here. We have actualy talked about trying to hold a handgun saftey class for the members of our church so if some want to get carry permits they could.

7. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Holstered I can understand...but unloaded?

So it was more like "bring you expensive paperweight to church day."

8. tionico

tionico Thurston County Well-Known Member

The Penguin has it right.......

boys show their toys day sort of thing.

I think the pastor of the parson of Sweet Home has it worked out a lot better. Holding classes, now, what an outreach program for the community. Host it at the church facility, have it on a donation basis, hire the instructor (or find a qualified volunteer) and invite the public at no charge.
    Does two things: promotes the respect and use of arms in the local community, and "announces" to the area residents that WE are not afraid of firearms, in fact, we welcome and support their proper use. Anyone noticing that will get the "subtle" message that some of the folks at any given church function may well be armed and trained..........

9. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

I agree as well I don't get what that pastor was trying to get across. Church is about God but it is nice to know that a Church that one is attending supports 2nd amendment rights

10. parsons_12b

parsons_12b LaPine Oregon Well-Known Member

Speaking of classes does anyone know a instructor that would help out a non profit.

11. Weebs

Weebs Clackamas County Member

My church has a security team that I'm on. It's mainly setup for dealing with medical emergencies and various problems that pop up from having 400 people come through your doors 3 times a weekend. Our team has around 20 members, 75% of us have a CWP. It's kind of funny... most of the members are "fannypackers". Every once and a while they'll get a question about what they carry in there. :)

12. CEF1959

CEF1959 Willamette Valley, Oregon New Member

When I see a fanny pack on a guy, I immediately look to see if he's got a wallet in his back pocket. If so, I know what's in the fanny pack.

13. PlayboyPenguin

That is why you should always buy a fanny pack made for CC. That way the holster is in a hidden compartment in the back and the front sections are free for cell phones and wallets.

14. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

That sounds like a cult, JK. :p

I also don't agree with the bring your "unloaded gun to church day" it sends a mixed message, either make the statement or don't, but don't capitulate to laws that don't exist.

Every time I see a Fanny Pack I think Gay or gun. :thumbup:

15. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

I've heard that pastors have talked to specific members that they "expect" them to be CC'ing at church. This was at a Jewish church, but I know it's in at least 2 other churches in the area.
    With the threats on pastors, and recent shootings in churches...I think it's very smart to have trained people stationed who CC.

I echo the comment about bringing them OC unloaded...kinda pointless but I am all for community places offering training.

16. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

It's consistent for a church to teach self defense. Christians are not taught to be pacifists. The "Turn the other cheek" thing so often taken out of context was not referring to a life or death situation.

"When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Jesus - Luke 11:21

/religious rant. :)

17. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

+1

I tought it was just me who thought that!! ;)

:laugh: :bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: :bluelaugh: :laugh:

18. PlayboyPenguin

In some cases you better think both. :)

19. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

No argument here:thumbup:

Thy ar15 and Glock comfort me as i walk through the valley of the shadow of death.

20. PlayboyPenguin

GLOCKTEN.jpg