JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A good question to ask is :
What perception are you bringing or "placing on " the gun.

I am often out an and about with a antique firearm...when I encounter other folks and they see me with one of my antiques , the reaction can be quite different then when I have contact with people , when carrying a modern gun.
Which I find odd..
Because to my mind , my perception , they are one and the same... A Flintlock rifle is a rifle..Just as a AR15 is simply a rifle.
I do not act or carry myself or even the rifles differently ...but yet many folks react differently when they see a flintlock of mine vs, the AR15 that I own.

I think this is because of their perception of guns and gun owners...
Their perception becomes the "truth" to them , no matter what is actually said , done or experienced.
To be fair the same can be said of my perception , mentioned above....
In my life experiences , perception can often out weigh or have a advantage over what is real or actually happening , experienced , expected , etc...

While we can not control or even change someone's perception , we may be able to influence their thinking and then perhaps they will change their own perception.
Andy

@AndyinEverson , (I'm sure you're aware of this, but) you just outlined the "art of persuasion". 100% of people are irrational 100% of the time (yes, that means you and me, too), BECAUSE everyone's perception is their reality. That's why (by & large) facts don't matter in any given subject. Everyone could see the same exact event under the same exact circumstances and angle, yet everyone is "watching a different movie" and developing a different "reality".

Humans are mainly driven by (and respond to) emotions, rather than rationality because it's easier and takes less effort. The MSM and politicians know this (Donald Trump also knows this, hence all the awesome rhetoric.... hell, I know this, hence all my awesome forum "contributions"... LOL) that's why everyone's a "fascist", a "gun nut", "trigger trash", a "racist", or "white cis male", and every modern semi-auto firearm is an "assault weapon".... all terms to boil up an emotional response (usually fear or anger), rather than a rational response knowing full well you'd be just as dead from a flintlock bullet as you would an AR or AK bullet.

And people think Infantry grunts are dumb.... :rolleyes:

A number of years ago I heard the phase "Perception is Reality". At the time I thought it was a crazy concept, but it came to make sense. I took a couple of interns out shooting, the young lady was terrified of guns but wanted to try things that were uncomfortable for her. She would not handle the ammo, either I or the male intern would load the rifle for her. She ended up shooting probably 50 rounds with the 22. By the time she was done, she was feeling more comfortable shooting (and hitting the target). She still didn't want to load the gun, but her perception had changed about guns after the shooting session. I think you are right where someone has to experience (or perhaps truly learn) something to change their perception, and what they consider to be their reality.
Ron

Hate to break it to you my friend but some of them are! I met some dumb people when I was in and usually they were the ones in charge.

Sorry for the thread drift back on topic.

I was in an Army Military Intelligence unit. (Yeah yeah, I know...)
The saying among us Intelligence weenies was
"They don't put the smart ones in the Infantry."
Of course, we never said that to a grunt lest he kick our a$$es.

When I was growing up as a young man, I saw many times, the domino effect in society. At times it seemed to me that people were acting like a pack of wild dogs.
The first time I saw this was when a basketball game, don't recall the team but was in the 1980's.
The home team won, and the losers as well as the winners would riot and cause destruction. Witnesses would later confirm that people who lived there as well as visiting guest would all riot the city near the center. I found it so odd as just 30 minutes earlier these same people sat in bleachers, they were not chained, nor handcuffed. They were just a few feet from players and there was no walls or security really. Not for the amount of people there but all was just fine. I wrote an article on this later, and called it the basketball effect.
It is also why I ended up studying Cultural Anthropology, to see what made societies tick. My look on life is not probably like most people. I see us very much as a cause and effect society. After 911, the country was so united it was unbelievable. I saw people being polite and kind everywhere I went. Six months later was back to the grind and easternblock society mentality.
There is a pulse in this nation, I am not sure anyone can fully explain its dynamics but it is clear there are driving factors within the system and from internal sources as well, driving the divide in this country. If 911 combined us, then surely those in power no how to divide us.

On a somewhat positive note ...
The wife and I were in Chehalis the last couple of days. Had to make a quick stop into Home Depot for paint and a few supplies. While at the paint area waiting on our paint to be mixed, I witnessed a situation one would never see in Seattle. A youngish guy was OWB carrying a Glock 17. Upon noting that I immediately began looking around at other shoppers to see what, if any, reaction was to OWB carry. Nary an eyebrow was raised. No screams for the Police. No spontaneous protests by members of the perpetually outraged. Nothing at all. Everybody just minded their own business and kept on doing what they were doing. No big deal at all. Quite refreshing, actually. Why I wondered was it so different in Chehalis? Then I chuckled to myself. Of course, its Chehalis! Gotta love these smaller towns in conservative counties. Perception and context together creates the reality IMHO.

you'd be just as dead from a flintlock bullet as you would an AR or AK bullet.

The flintlock is a far superior killing machine, than the modern carbine.
Inside of 200 yards,hey are all about the same.

I hunt with my flintlock, here in washingrad 5.56 isnt allowed as a hunting round.
It was never designed to kill, just maim.

Firearms are defensive by nature. Its the sub human mongrel that uses them offensively on soft targets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top