JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As to the plum color I have a Nickel steel Winchester model 1894 saddle ring carbine that was very professionally reblued in the 60's and the barrel has that plum color. maybe a little different shade. But still plum.

I've scored another 5.7 MMJ/".22 Spitfire" carbine - actually 2 of them from a collection back East! These are _apparently_ Plainfields that were originally contracted to Johnson Arms, Inc, and finished in caliber MMJ 5.7; "in 1963 the company experimented with, and manufactured for a short production run during the D series, eliminating the recoil plate and replacing it with an extension at the rear of the receiver. They went back to the use of the recoil plate after several hundred receivers. The change to and from the recoil plate is covered in more detail on the pages devoted to Carbines, Parts, and Markings." (from the "Plainfield" pages on http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_plainfield.html). These are part of that "D" series with only a very few hundred made in this configuration. They are both beautiful guns and now I no longer have to share one "22 Spitfire" carbine with my wife - just need to load more ammo... (Anyone with a surplus of MMJ 5.7, .22 Spitfire, or .22 Johnson ammo or cases/components they would like to get rid of, please DM me!) Pictures below of the best of these 2 rifles. The blueing is gradually beginning to show a slight hint of "plum" in the right light. This one has a very nice skeletonized front sight, with the caliber marking "MMJ 5.7" in front of the Lyman rear peep sight & "PMC" in an arc behind the sight above the "tang" or extension mentioned above, while the SN is in a "cartouche" along the left side of the receiver above the wood Note that "tang" at the rear of the receiver - The rear of the receiver / wood interface should probably be glass bedded and reinforcement added to prevent cracking of the stock at that area, as that was the only weakness noted about this receiver design. This appears to be one of Plainfield's OEM stocks without sling and oiler cuts.

Left elevation.jpg Right Broadside.jpg Serial number prefix .jpg Top Rear Receiver Tang view.jpg Top Receiver close-up showing markings.jpg

Last Edited:
About 15 or so years ago I was at a yard sale in Spokane and they had a bunch of Spitfire rounds, dies and brass plus a Garand. I bought them, sold the spitfire ammunition and eventually the Garand.
I'd love if a M1 carbine was made in 9mm or 5.56

About 15 or so years ago I was at a yard sale in Spokane and they had a bunch of Spitfire rounds, dies and brass plus a Garand. I bought them, sold the spitfire ammunition and eventually the Garand.
I'd love if a M1 carbine was made in 9mm or 5.56
The conversion to 9mm was not unknown and a relatively popular pistol caliber conversion during the 1970's thru the 1980's, as was converting to 45 ACP. 10mm would be a very interesting conversion ... hmmm! They've converted M1 Carbines to a variety of pistol rounds for years. The issues were feed issues due to length of the round vs. 30 Carbine cartridges, not being able to open up the bolt face enough to accommodate rimmed rounds?, as well as "rim lock" in the straight Carbine magazines.

If you have any 5.7 Johnson dies ,I would like a set . Let me know and thanks
Looks like Grafs & Sons has Redding 2 die sets, plus a Redding forming die. Spendy.

&

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top