JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My wife doesn't love guns. She is ambivilant.

She understands the purpose, but she also takes the self defense aspect for granted a littke bit.

She has a nice little 20 gauge she shoots sometime.

She doesn't understand why anyone would need am armory full of ARs. Lol

Pretty much the same with Mrs. USMC-03. She never grew up around firearms and had only shot a couple of times before we met.

A month or so after we started dating, we were in some department store and she ran her hand down my back right into my pistol. Her eyes got wide when I told her what it was. Later she admitted finding it was shocking, comforting, scary and arousing all at once.

The guns come with me and she's only ever insisted I store them safely; fair enough. She's been to a few rifle matches with me but finds it rather boring.

My wife is a bit of a dichotomy with firearms though. She's definitely left of center politically; Republicans bad, Democrats good along with the rest of her family whereas I hate the all. But if you go issue by issue we have much more in common that not.

Mrs. USMC-03 is also half American Indian with a lot of exposure to warrior cultures. She gets the need for being prepared to defend our family but at the same isn't keen on those evil "assault weapons ". Loves shooting my AR however...

With the increasing uncertainty in our society today, my wife has expressed interest in developing more skill with firearms. I'm perfectly ok with this...

I fully expect all my guns, silencers, SBR's and maybe even a machine gun or two to be sold at a yard sale the day I'm planted in the ground. Will or no will.

Your spouse and all who you live with should at least be safe around firearms.
They should know how to safely handle and clear your firearms if nothing else.

Hopefully all here and their loved ones can do that ...and more.
Andy

I try to get my wife more interested in guns.

Have you tried watching active self protection with her on YouTube for a bit?

I can't say my wife started out being interested, but she has seen evil in her life and wants to protect herself from it.

The main reason she gravitated towards the AR platform is you can buy all sorts of pretty pink accessories and it doesn't make her shoulder hurt when she fires it.

I know it feels weird but I purposefully looked for pretty pink guns and started showing her pics. (She also likes purple)

She's nowhere near where I am in her enthusiasm on the topic but she does enjoy watching the gun channels if the guy is cute in it. So much so that she buys more stuff from their channels then I do.

She also really liked the scenario stuff with simunitiom they did on the gun talk app.

When we got married my wife surprised me with the brass frame 1851 Navy I had coveted at the gun store.
There were times when it was the only functional handgun we had. We were not unarmed. (Andy understands)
I shot it enough to create appreciable wear, and rebuilt it in Gunsmithing school. (note - no new parts. Old ones built up with TIG and refitted)
Iff'n it weren't for Mama I wouldn't have been able to go to Gunsmithing school. She supported us while I was a student.

Note: This is our 50th Christmas together and the 23rd was our 50th wedding anniversary. I am well blessed. :D

Last Edited:
When we got married my wife surprised me with the brass frame 1851 Navy I had coveted at the gun store.
There were times when it was the only functional handgun we had. We were not unarmed. (Andy understands)
I shot it enough to create appreciable wear, and rebuilt it in Gunsmithing school. (note - no new parts. Old ones built up with TIG and refitted)
Iff'n it weren't for Mama I wouldn't have been able to go to Gunsmithing school. She supported us while I was a student.

Note: This is our 50th Christmas together and the 23rd was our 50th wedding anniversary. I am well blessed. :D

Congrats!

Cate

I can't imagine a woman or a man telling their spouse that they can't buy, own or keep any self defense object - tool aka a gun or a knife or a baseball bat or an axe or a 'hawk.

I can't imagine not being on the 'same wave length' when it comes to self defense issues even if one person may like one self defense tool over another one!

And if a person does not CHOOSE to own or carry or shoot a firearm - that is their choice but every single WOMAN and man should have a plan on what they will USE and how they should use it in various self defense situations.

Cate

I used to hear this alot when talking about motorcycles and guns "I used to have (fill in the blank) but my wife made me sell them after we got married". Not me, when my wife and I first started dating we'd take turns driving my old International Scout while the other hunted Grouse. My wife was learning to drive a stick shift then as well. It made for some fun time that even now 20 years later we look back on and smile. She knew I was a keeper when I made her Uncle Bens Wild Rice with Grouse and Quail breasts smothered in Chantrelle Mushroom gravy.

Happy for all those where it works out....
My (now) ex was "scared" of guns. Freaked out when I brought one home and asked him if he wanted to "hold it". Go figure, he's the one who came into the marriage with a bullet scar in his thigh. Went leftie, but NOW he wants to "touch it", but naaaaahhhhhh...

Re: spouses & motorsickles
BIL's wife goes ape guano whenever he acts like he wants anything to do with them. Skiing? No problem. Go figure.

The Beloved was packing with me on our '41 Chief* in the last 2 weeks of pregnancy. Said Chief was assembled in the living room. She was our primary wheels for 7 years, while Hoopty was a '49 Suburban.

*Bike's name is Louise - named after a real Soboba Indian lady we knew and partied with. I could stand in her pantleg. One night Louise, her cousin, and 2 other ladies of Native American heritage stopped by to ask me to buy them some beer since none of them was 21. That car was squashed down to where the body was probably riding on the axle. They bought 14 quarts of beer. I'm sure they had a good time.

The only thing my wife worries about is the amount of reloading powder and primers in the house. She's convinced the local fire dept. won't show up for fear of being blown into the next county LOL. She is a shooter we shot in BP competitions for the first 4-5 years of our marriage she owns a few of her own firearms and has never made a comment about me buying a firearm cause I take care of my side of the income as I should.

On one of the innumerable occasions that my wife was pizzed at me she thought she was going to hurt me by tossing out an ultimatum... her or the guns. It was not a well planned attack.

And yes, it was an attack. Nothing to do with upbringing, safety, or even just being a gun-hater.

First of all, she didn't really care about my guns, but knew that I did. She issued an ultimatum over something she had no strong feelings about. That's a huge strategy blunder.

Secondly, I was more than willing to call her bluff. I don't think she counted on that but she should have been willing to accept the answer either way. She was pretty good at exploiting weaknesses but had a bad habit of underestimating her opponent. Unfortunately, in those stressful days, I think we both viewed each other as The Opponent waay too often.

She picked the wrong hill to die on (metaphorically speaking) but didn't necessarily learn from the experience... not a fan of Sun Tzu I guess because she tried it another time with my "project" cars and cycles.

She never could quite understand that it wasn't the stupid objects that were important, it was truly the principle of it. You push, I push back. I don't negotiate with terrorists and I hate bullies. I also happen to be of the opinion that a person who would present an ultimatum like that (addiction, abuse, cheating, other damaging behaviors not included) is manipulative beyond redemption, they want control, not a partnership.

On one of the innumerable occasions that my wife was pizzed at me she thought she was going to hurt me by tossing out an ultimatum... her or the guns. It was not a well planned attack.

And yes, it was an attack. Nothing to do with upbringing, safety, or even just being a gun-hater.

First of all, she didn't really care about my guns, but knew that I did. She issued an ultimatum over something she had no strong feelings about. That's a huge strategy blunder.

Secondly, I was more than willing to call her bluff. I don't think she counted on that but she should have been willing to accept the answer either way. She was pretty good at exploiting weaknesses but had a bad habit of underestimating her opponent. Unfortunately, in those stressful days, I think we both viewed each other as The Opponent waay too often.

She picked the wrong hill to die on (metaphorically speaking) but didn't necessarily learn from the experience... not a fan of Sun Tzu I guess because she tried it another time with my "project" cars and cycles.

She never could quite understand that it wasn't the stupid objects that were important, it was truly the principle of it. You push, I push back. I don't negotiate with terrorists and I hate bullies. I also happen to be of the opinion that a person who would present an ultimatum like that (addiction, abuse, cheating, other damaging behaviors not included) is manipulative beyond redemption, they want control, not a partnership.

You use the term "my wife" like its a term for your current wife. Its OK to use the term "my ex wife" because I have no doubt that is what she is currently relegated to.

You use the term "my wife" like its a term for your current wife. Its OK to use the term "my ex wife" because I have no doubt that is what she is currently relegated to.
You are correct, sir.

We didn't split over that specific incident... but there was definitely a pattern emerging. Things devolved into a FAFO* situation. Combative and stressful, I don't reccomend it.

*F-Around and Find Out (what happens next). Similar to the "Play Stupid Games..." axiom.

Last Edited:
mainly, I do not "hang" with hopolophobes, when it comes to close relationships and keeping company with them, the "close" will not happen---but I do try to get to know them a bit---to evaluate just how misdirected they are so to be cautious as to their intent-----even before "Red Flag" threats. helps to understand the enemy and their weakness

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top