JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
us-soldiers-being-awesome-in-vietnam-6.jpg

vintage everyday: 40 Vintage Photographs of Young U.S. Soldiers Being Awesome in Vietnam

My uncle, the one in the truck...WWII...
OldPrice - 1.jpg

My dad far right. My brother far left. When CA was still a free state (abt. 1950). I'm not in the shot because I would have been about 3 yo.
OldPrice - 2.jpg

Last Edited:
The story behind that infamous photo.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

General Nguyen Ngoc Loan Executing a Viet Cong Prisoner in Saigon is a photograph taken by Eddie Adams on 1 February 1968. It shows South Vietnamese National Police Chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing a Việt Cộng captain of an insurgent team Nguyễn Văn Lém (referred to as Captain Bảy Lốp), in Saigon during the Tet Offensive.

Around 4:30 A.M., Lém led a sabotage unit along with Viet Cong tanks to attack the Armor Camp in Go Vap. After communist troops took control of the base, Lém arrested Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Tuan with his family and forced him to show them how to drive tanks. When Lieutenant Colonel Tuan refused to cooperate, Lém killed Tuan, his wife and six children and his 80-year-old mother by cutting their throats. There was only one survivor, a seriously injured 10-year-old boy.

Lém was captured near a mass grave with 34 civilian bodies. Lém admitted that he was proud to carry out his unit leader's order to kill these people. Having personally witnessed the murder of one of his officers along with that man's wife and three small children in cold blood, when Lém was captured and brought to him, General Loan summarily executed him using his sidearm, a .38 Special Smith & Wesson Model 38 "Bodyguard" revolver, in front of AP photographer Eddie Adams and NBC News television cameraman Vo Suu. The photograph and footage were broadcast worldwide, galvanizing the anti-war movement.

The story behind that infamous photo.

Excerpt from Wikipedia:

General Nguyen Ngoc Loan Executing a Viet Cong Prisoner in Saigon is a photograph taken by Eddie Adams on 1 February 1968. It shows South Vietnamese National Police Chief Nguyễn Ngọc Loan executing a Việt Cộng captain of an insurgent team Nguyễn Văn Lém (referred to as Captain Bảy Lốp), in Saigon during the Tet Offensive.

Around 4:30 A.M., Lém led a sabotage unit along with Viet Cong tanks to attack the Armor Camp in Go Vap. After communist troops took control of the base, Lém arrested Lieutenant Colonel Nguyen Tuan with his family and forced him to show them how to drive tanks. When Lieutenant Colonel Tuan refused to cooperate, Lém killed Tuan, his wife and six children and his 80-year-old mother by cutting their throats. There was only one survivor, a seriously injured 10-year-old boy.

Lém was captured near a mass grave with 34 civilian bodies. Lém admitted that he was proud to carry out his unit leader's order to kill these people. Having personally witnessed the murder of one of his officers along with that man's wife and three small children in cold blood, when Lém was captured and brought to him, General Loan summarily executed him using his sidearm, a .38 Special Smith & Wesson Model 38 "Bodyguard" revolver, in front of AP photographer Eddie Adams and NBC News television cameraman Vo Suu. The photograph and footage were broadcast worldwide, galvanizing the anti-war movement.
Great back story. That picture and the little girl running burned by napalm, the two most famous pics of that war.

main_1200.jpg
1941 Vale Oregon - 4th of July

A boy looks in a store window at Hubley brand cap guns, in 'Army', 'Dick', and 'Cowboy' models, on the fourth of July in Vale. #

Russell Lee / Library of Congress

Great back story. That picture and the little girl running burned by napalm, the two most famous pics of that war.

"Napalm Girl" is of course the definition of Fake News. Now. Not Then.

Now it is reported the USA did this to her.

It was the South Vietnamese. The Skyraider pilot dived upon the wrong target, killed about 20.
That was reported by the news organizations at the time.

The picture is from 1972 by Nick Ut/AP

I have chosen not to link the picture - you can find it online if you want to.

More about the Fake News related to the picture
In essay about fake news, 'Vox' offers up media myth of the 'Napalm Girl'

Original story in the NY Times
South Vietnamese Drop Napalm on Own Troops

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews