JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Y
EDIT: Last night, according to a FB local page; there was a fatality on Hoffman Road between 16th and 99W in Monmouth. Said fatality occurred with a 30 year old male cyclist being hit by a vehicle, and then run over by several more vehicles. This occurred on a part of the road that does NOT have a separate path, and only has a 2-ft wide "shoulder" for the cyclists. Hoffman road is only about a mile or so, 35-45mph speed limits on it. It is also next to farmland. It happened during dark, not during the day. No details are released on whether the cyclist had lights on, whether he had a helmet or not (don't see how it would have helped if he still got run over by a few more vehicles!? )

Hoffman road is about 2 miles long.

I've ridden it many times when I lived in Independence as part of my exercise it would be on a circle I would ride a number of times to keep in shape.

It is your typical country rd. - i.e., it can be very dangerous for bicycles - especially between 99W and Hwy 51 (Independence Hwy) where there is a lot more traffic than west of 99W. I imagine there is more traffic now than when I lived in Independence about 30 years ago.

I used to ride into Salem to go to CCC when I lived in Independence, and sometimes I would miss my ride home and would have to ride in the dark. Very dangerous. Obviously I am still here - I stopped riding after I moved to Seattle, just too many people trying intentionally to run me off the road, or who otherwise just don't care or even know you are there.

I really doubt that every street/road will ever have a bicycle lane, especially roads like Hoffman rd.

Hoffman road is about 2 miles long.

I've ridden it many times when I lived in Independence as part of my exercise it would be on a circle I would ride a number of times to keep in shape.

It is your typical country rd. - i.e., it can be very dangerous for bicycles - especially between 99W and Hwy 51 (Independence Hwy) where there is a lot more traffic than west of 99W. I imagine there is more traffic now than when I lived in Independence about 30 years ago.

I used to ride into Salem to go to CCC when I lived in Independence, and sometimes I would miss my ride home and would have to ride in the dark. Very dangerous. Obviously I am still here - I stopped riding after I moved to Seattle, just too many people trying intentionally to run me off the road, or who otherwise just don't care or even know you are there.

I really doubt that every street/road will ever have a bicycle lane, especially roads like Hoffman rd.

The stretch of Hoffman road that has a sidewalk/path is about a mile, from 16th to Hwy 51; the stretch that the cyclist died, is about half a mile (between 16th and hwy 99W, the path stops/merge into the country road at the end of the new housing development; just south of 16th (which is Talmadge Middle School road extended).

I drive that section of Hoffman Road every so often. The other night I drove it in the dark and rain. If a cyclist had lights operating, he should have been visible enough for me to avoid. Someone drunk or texting, probably not. The speed limit on Hoffman used to be 55 MPH in that stretch, and there wasn't a history of accidents. The lower speed limit doesn't seem to make that section of road any safer, and this accident proves that point.

Technology of lighting is improving at a rapid pace. It should now (or soon) be possible to light a bicycle well enough to be seen and avoided in all but the densest fog. The biggest problem is depth perception when there is only a single light showing. Drivers get distance cues from the rate the multiple lights appear to get further apart as the driver approches the other vehicle. Multiple taillights for bicycles on stalks to position them wider would help immensely, and not cost a lot. If I rode a bike at night, I would use lights like this. It might have saved that man's life. :(

Get your Oregon CHL, with that OR166-173, city law doesn't pertain to you for open carrying a loaded gun :) However, you'll still get harassed and possibly cited by Portland PD.

I don't live in Oregon, but if I did, I would open carry a S&W 500 into the Voodoo Donut shop... and wear a GoPro to capture the event.

Interesting thread question about transporting guns rifles or handguns on bicycles.

Yea; there's no reason to not wear the same sort of reflective clothing that's required for road crews in Oregon.
I hear from a person who was a friend of the dead cyclist, that he had the proper equipment on his bicycle as well as reflective vest..... so it is sounding more and more likely that it was an inattentive driver, but multiple vehicles ran over him as well...which is all the more gruesome to imagine.

EDIT: Me; I had a setup for commuting; it used safety orange storage bins, with stick-on big reflectors on it, as well as couple good flashing lights... still didn't prevent a driver from hitting my bike in the rear; her claim was that the sun was in her eyes..... but she was SPEEDING out of the apartment complex and I was almost clear of the driveway when she hit the bicycle. Thankfully the only damage was the busted box and bent rack.
If I had been slower, or she had left earlier, it would not have been the box that she hit, but my LEG.
I don't have that particular bike anymore (sold it), but I still have the damaged rack and the storage bins as a reminder of things that can happen even if I had taken all precautions.

DSCN1605.JPG DSCN1609.JPG DSCN1611.JPG

DSCN1605.JPG

DSCN1609.JPG

DSCN1611.JPG

Last Edited:
Yea; there's no reason to not wear the same sort of reflective clothing that's required for road crews in Oregon.
I hear from a person who was a friend of the dead cyclist, that he had the proper equipment on his bicycle as well as reflective vest..... so it is sounding more and more likely that it was an inattentive driver, but multiple vehicles ran over him as well...which is all the more gruesome to imagine.

EDIT: Me; I had a setup for commuting; it used safety orange storage bins, with stick-on big reflectors on it, as well as couple good flashing lights... still didn't prevent a driver from hitting my bike in the rear; her claim was that the sun was in her eyes..... but she was SPEEDING out of the apartment complex and I was almost clear of the driveway when she hit the bicycle. Thankfully the only damage was the busted box and bent rack.
If I had been slower, or she had left earlier, it would not have been the box that she hit, but my LEG.
I don't have that particular bike anymore (sold it), but I still have the damaged rack and the storage bins as a reminder of things that can happen even if I had taken all precautions.

View attachment 271001 View attachment 271002 View attachment 271003

Sure there is, because if they wore that stuff then they would not be able to show off their spandex:cool:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top