JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For the first time ever...I had to change flights to another airline because the one I booked on didn't allow my pistol case, citing "it didn't have enough locks." The case was TSA approved and is the one that TSA shows on their video. I've used that one for about 15 years. The arrogant ticketeers were obnoxious!! It cost me an extra five hours; about $100 extra and 77 pounds of anger. :mad: Any more stories out there?

If you wouldn't mind sharing the airline in question, I would really value the information as flights are planned this year. I plan on taking a piece, and since TSA (quite literally) always gives me/we extra grief, I'd like to avoid airline BS on top of gross government incompetence. Thanks.

For the first time ever...I had to change flights to another airline because the one I booked on didn't allow my pistol case, citing "it didn't have enough locks." The case was TSA approved and is the one that TSA shows on their video. I've used that one for about 15 years. The arrogant ticketeers were obnoxious!! It cost me an extra five hours; about $100 extra and 77 pounds of anger. :mad: Any more stories out there?
How few is "not enough"?
I don't know of an airline that will accept a case with a single lock and it's not something I would even try. My perspective is I don't want to give someone the opportunity to pry my case open.

Not saying they weren't jerks to you -- they most certainly can be.
The last two times I have flown out of PDX, they were training TSA agents and it took about 30 minutes both times to get through TSA.

How few is "not enough"?
I don't know of an airline that will accept a case with a single lock and it's not something I would even try. My perspective is I don't want to give someone the opportunity to pry my case open.

Not saying they weren't jerks to you -- they most certainly can be.
The last two times I have flown out of PDX, they were training TSA agents and it took about 30 minutes both times to get through TSA.
My tsa approved box has one lock and always passed.

I have warned people since I first learned to play on algore's net. Ever since they started this declaring firearms thing. The system was set up to be easy. What makes me cringe is when people take to the net to say "Hey I just did this last week and it was super simple". Yes it is supposed to be like that. I have for decades warned people, do not be lulled into thinking it's always like that. You have to deal with humans. Printing out the "law" and being told just wave it in their face does nothing good. The "safe way"? Look up the TSA laws first. Then look up what the airline you are flying says. Then show up PLENTY early. Do not show up with just enough time, thinking it's easy, and then run into some idiot. Sadly this is the world we live in now. Last couple times we flew we sent guns ahead of us. They were there when we got to where we were going. Then we sent them back to ourselves. They showed up a couple days after we get home. Now not everyone can do this of course.

case1911a.jpg
Here is one of my travel kits. Cabelas case (it's the same hard case sold under many names). Very rigid. On this model I superglued the pins in the back (new ones are blind pins so they cannot be easily removed). It is very stiff and one lock could work, but I always use two. I add one of the many gun locks we all have lying around. Required? No, but why not. Less chance of my gun getting use in an airport shooting. Not visible is the bike cable I use to attached it to the case. Foolproof? Again, no. But the TSA folks really like the idea. Makes it harder for a thief to take it an run. I have similar set ups using a small Pelican case and a in between SKB case. All my cases are VERY rigid. TSA agents advise this is the single biggest issue with travelers with firearms.

Sorry for the less than stellar image, not much light in my hotel room. Be aware TSA is opening more cases now so be there in plenty of time. Some airlines (American) may ask you to open the case so they can see inside. These folks are doing what they are told by the management and have admitted to me that they have no idea what they are looking for. At some airports they will page or call you for TSA to get your keys to check the inside of your container. This happens when you stuff too much in for the X-ray to see (like I have on several flights this year). I will get to the airport more than two hours early tomorrow since this case has 2 1911's and some ammo in it. I have them arranged so they should be visible. But there are 8 mags so we will see. That is the advantage to PDX, they do the inspection while you wait. I'm flying out of an airport tomorrow that I have not used before so I'll leave extra time. So far I have been successful in PDX, Seattle, SFO, Sacramento, San Jose (kind of a pain, but do-able), Oakland, Ontario, Nashville, Memphis, Orlando, Jacksonville, John Wayne (OC), Philadelphia (I think), SLC, Boise, Phoenix, DFW, Jackson MS...and a few others.

Sorry to the OP for the bad luck. They seem to have stepped up scrutiny of travel cases lately. This may be due to the thefts at PDX. I was the first person through TSA this year at PDX under the new rules (per the kind TSA agent) so was able to learn a bit from him.

I flew back to the Carolina's last month last minute. Ever since reading that there have been more thefts of handguns from luggage, I stopped using the plastic cases.

I use the Stack On case and use the cable to lash it to my luggage inside the liner.

The TSA agent that did the inspection didn't even know about the recent thefts at PDX.

SF085_1500_1.jpg

If I recall correctly, I have used large pelican cases with 2 non-tsa locks, and then a hard sided plastic case inside that. I declare the entire luggage the firearm container. They always spend 10-15 minutes inspecting it infront of me. Not a big deal.

I use the extra case so if they give me grief I can switch lock locations. But it prevents your bag from being easily opened and firearm stolen.

If I recall correctly, I have used large pelican cases with 2 non-tsa locks, and then a hard sided plastic case inside that. I declare the entire luggage the firearm container. They always spend 10-15 minutes inspecting it infront of me. Not a big deal.

I use the extra case so if they give me grief I can switch lock locations. But it prevents your bag from being easily opened and firearm stolen.

This is my strategy too. I use a very large Pelican 1615 air case as BOTH my suitcase and gun case, with two of my own locks through the two hasps. The benefit of this is that it enables you to use your own locks to lock the entire contents of your case (winning!). It also prevents any quick "snatch and hide" attempts since there is no way you're going to hide a case that size.

The downside, of course, is that most crooks know there's good stuff in pelican cases. However, more airports seem to be keeping gun cases behind the counter in baggage claim so often times it doesn't make it out on the carousel.

Lastly, it's a Pelican case so the baggage monkeys haven't been able to destroy it...yet. By the looks of it, however, they've made some righteous attempts. What the hell do those guys do back there? :rolleyes:

Anyway, no airline has hassled me yet. However, it won't surprise me if some counter jockey insists, at some point, that I need to have a smaller case with just the gun in it.

25084.jpg

However, more airports seem to be keeping gun cases behind the counter in baggage claim so often times it doesn't make it out on the carousel.

Lastly, it's a Pelican case so the baggage monkeys haven't been able to destroy it...yet

This has been my experience as well. Honestly to the point I would stick a plastic gun in there just for the benefits! Lol

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top