JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I going to be in a position where I have to rent and its not practical for me to bring my guns and ammo with me. Is there a way to mitigate moisture damage to guns and ammo in a regular storage unit? Am I taking a lot of risk putting high dollar items into a rental storage unit? Thanks folks.

The risk would be primarily theft. Storage units are often broken into, usually from a neighboring unit.

Clean the firearm, spray it with Balistol (long term consider also using Riggs gun grease or better yet, Cosmoline which is available in aerosol spray), insert it into a silicon sock (made for the purpose), insert that into a plastic VCI bag made for the purpose. Beyond that, putting them into a hard case would be advisable - the hard case many handguns come in would be fine. For a long gun you can buy a relatively inexpensive hard case.

That's kind of what i figured. I'm more concerned about all the wood. I have a lot of vintage stuff.
Is it possible to take the wood off?
My grandfather left me a bunch of wood grips and small metal parts, he wrapped those wood items and small parts in quality paper towels (layers of them) rubber banded them together, put them in a zip lock bag and then put those bags of parts into an airtight container.
All his stuff was out in a rickety shed for 30+ years.. when I opened the container I expected rust, decay.. all were perfectly preserved.
Id take all the wood off
(unless so antique it'll break upon removal). Id then do what @The Heretic suggested for metal preservation.

My way.. Its messy as hell, but I use grease and storage bags for long term metal firearm storage. Ive had some items stored for 5-8 years without issue. Its a mess to apply and clean up.. but it preserves my stuff amazingly. Ive tried oils.. they always seemed to evaporate or run off or something.. when I used oils, bone dry each time I checked up on them, thus I use grease..

yeah id grease the metal for sure but its just not practical with the vintage stuff. I think im actually more concerned with theft.

I just came across this but if you're talking about a rental storage unit, most of them seem to have a policy against storing guns and ammo. The biggest issue there is that if you do, and they get stolen or destroyed, they won't insure them, and if there's a fire and ammo causes damage or anything else they imagine, you may be liable. Just a thought.

Couple of years ago I looked into storing some guns for short time in a climate controlled rental storage facility. They were adamant their policy was guns had to be kept in a safe.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top