JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a handgun on me or next to me all day. Either my G-43, G26, or G-23. It's the only gun out of my safe. And it's always under my control. Or it goes back into the safe. If I get up the gun goes with me. Off to bed it goes with.

I have several safes in the house. So a rifle, shotgun or another handgun is just seconds away.

I don't have guns unsecured, spread and hidden all around the house.
But I read post's about folks that do. [Ya. You know who you are]:s0108: And wonder what advantage would outweigh the potential negatives?

Anyways how do you guys feel about unsecured. Or secured guns?

I have a handgun on me or next to me all day. Either my G-43, G26, or G-23. It's the only gun out of my safe. And it's always under my control. Or it goes back into the safe. If I get up the gun goes with me. Off to bed it goes with.

I have several safes in the house. So a rifle, shotgun or another handgun is just seconds away.

I don't have guns unsecured, spread and hidden all around the house.
But I read post's about folks that do. [Ya. You know who you are]:s0108: And wonder what advantage would outweigh the potential negatives?

Anyways how do you guys feel about unsecured. Or secured guns?

Locked or within my reach.

We have old teens over here and there and I wouldn't want one of them to find it.

image.jpg

1911, an extra mag, a bandana, remote and crutches all within reach right now:D.

Edit: if the handgun isn't on or with me then it goes back I. The quick access safe.

Oh, I should mention what kind of guns like Joe13 did, I'm currently carrying a GLock 43 and have a full size XDM with a streamlight next to the bed. My safe is in another room.

Last Edited:
I grew up in the middle of nowhere. And there was always a .22, 30-30 and shotgun leaning in the corner just inside the door.

I used all three to drop coyotes, wild dogs and any other threats to the farm.
Or to put meat in the pot. ;)

And when I moved to the big city and built my own gun collection I did not think of a safe for a few years. It was not until my collection was large enough and valuable enough to move toward securing my guns that I broke down and bought a gun locker. And later a safe.

Also my social life did not involve anymore than one friend or a girlfriend coming over to the apartment. [Other than that time with the twins]. :D

So I understand having a situation where a person could have unsecured guns for some time.
But that time is far behind me now.

One loaded, and either on me or immediately accessible if I'm in bed. Otherwise all others are unloaded, locked up with ammo. Too many young curious grandkids to have it any other way. The two oldest are ready to 'graduate' from BB rifle to .22LR this year.

I think a lot depends on whether or not you have kids in the house, kids that might not be trustworthy around firearms! My self, I don't have many guests or children so I feel safe having a few loaded arms out and about in the house! That said, there is a responsibility that goes along with this and my wife and I have had the discussions about this! Having a fast access safe is still too long if a threat presents it's self, but I live out in the middle of no where, so My situation is diffrent then a city person! I don't have theft to worry about, And I don't have a 2 legged threat ether, so much of what I have is geared towards 4 legged LARGE predators!!

I have a couple hand guns laying out
I feed the dog good enough and I don't believe she know how to use themo_O
I agree it has to do with kids. Or how many visitors you have thru the house.
I do keep my guns out of sight so if someone breaks in the guns ain't just waiting to be stolen
In my house you are more likely to get stabbed. Unless you will stand still long enough for me to remember what cupboard the pistola is in:eek:

I think a lot depends on whether or not you have kids in the house
We have a loaded, concealed but readily accessible handgun in every room of my house except bathrooms. That's one in the living room, dining room and family room, by the front and back doors along with one on top of and in each nightstand, and a rifle in the BR walk-in closet. We make adjustments for visitors or kiddos case by case.

Last Edited:
I keep one in my pocket pretty much every hour I'm awake. The rest of the family lives in a plain black house with several locks. When I sleep, it sleeps VERY close to me.

I still have the very best security system ever created! I have Two large and loaded K-9 units in the house, and if you make it past one, you wont the other! The large one is the early warning system and has extra sharps, the extra large one can shear a 2X4 in one bite and pull start an MRAP!!!

Pants on, gun on. Even though American Rifleman seems to have a bunch of stories where the victim has time to "retrieve" their handgun, one can never presume to always be given the time or opportunity to get the gun. CARRY AT HOME!

I have no kids and no kids come around the house. If we ever have guests over that are not family I would lock up the guns. But I definitely have a number of holsters attached inside cabinets and such around the house, not locked up.

Unfortunately, all of my guns were lost in a tragic spelunking accident. My wife told me not to bring them, but I had to tell her that evening that she was right.

All over the place. Disarm my person and I'll still get you.

As mentioned, with kids it's a good idea to keep them locked up. That's always seemed a very foreign thing to me as I grew up with guns everywhere. Under couches, propped in corners, under beds, etc. You never knew when a Crow or Starling might decide it wanted some cherries.

A safe was something rich city slickers had.

It's a different world now.

Awake, gun on the belt. Asleep, gun within half an arms reach. Driveway alarms, house and shop alarms. I have had tweakers think they can walk down my rural driveway to ask me directions to the local drug house. The are ordered to stop well over 30 feet away. Wife usually has to grab the Aussie or Shepard to keep them from ripping the tweakers face off if they don't stop. This happens in seconds so no time to " go get" a gun.

I have hand guns hidden in two spots in my house and shop. Long guns in the safe with the combo set to spin to one number. 12 gauge by the bed. That is locked up when the grand kids are there.

Do not let rural or isolated locations think you are safe from intrusion or invasion. I have a cellular based alarm system that texts me when anything happens at home. Next up is a surveillance system with remote access.

I had to call 911 today to report an accident I saw happen. It was over 4 minutes before the call was answered. No going to be any different at any of our houses.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top